Where can I buy 4 lb or 6lb expanding marine foam?

Todd Parsons

Looking to buy 4 or 6 lb expanding polyurethane foam in Canada. I can find lots of 2 lb density but look for more density. Hoping to not have to order out of the USA. Does anyone know of a marine shop in Canada that might have this?
Thank you

If you are trying to fill-up a void space that leaks - as an example - you can use chunks of Styrofoam interspersed w the expanding foam to reduce the amount of expanding foam you have to buy. It works - and Styrofoam is cheap.

What I am trying to do is fill a void between the floor of my small boat and the haul. There is about a 2" gap between them. The fiberglass floor feels a little week and bends under my weight...I would like to put some holes into the floor to fill the void it with a 4 or 6 lb two part polyurethane. Shipping out of the US will add $80 or more to the cost I am finding so I am thinking there must be some in Canada some where. Coast Fibertek does not list if on there site but I will try calling them.

Most marine supply places can order it in for you.

Another issue you will likely face is that the expanding foam is very thick, viscous and sticky - and only expands so far past the point of application on it's own (like maybe 18" or so - at best - but maybe there's newer products out there now). so you may need multiple access points or holes to get it to fill the whole space w/o some other way to push it into the void space.

Maybe see what products are on the market and read the fine print as to how easy it expands into what space. It's kinda a pain if you have to drill numerous holes to get it to fully cover your void space. That's where a larger access hole with some mechanical device to push it into the corners may also help.

Last edited:
Industrial plastics and paint has all different weights, not sure of the weight we use for joining foam forms but they list many, we use 2 part equal by volume. Warning its not cheap, we get the gallons at $100 each can, or easy to use, do not get it on anything you don't want it to stay on. Very sticky, pain to use. Not sure of smallest amount they sell, some are pre order. Good luck.

HM

Thanks...I will call Industrial plastic and paint. Price seems inline with US by the time you add on shipping, hassle etc--I am a bit worried I will need several gallons as the higher density ones of course don't expand near as much. I will try maybe drilling holes 20 inches apart so it has to flow only 10 inches from each hole. I guess I will mix only enough for 1 hole at a time. I can multi-layer it if need be to fill to top of hole then I will cut flush with top of hole and cover with epoxy at hole....then put down new carpet. Thanks everyone for the help.

I have 2 1/2 gallon foam from Industrial plastics left over from when I filled some voids in my boat. I don’t know what weight they are but worked amazing. Two part compounds when added together probably expands to 10 times the volume. Let me now I can bring to the island next week. I want 1/2 the price of what I paid.

Back