When to use hoochie inserts

Oly1

Hey I was just wondering if most of you use the hoochie inserts or just the hoochie itself. Is there a time and place for both or is it a waste of time to add the inserts. I've seen guys fish them both ways and was wondering if some of the experts could impart some of their wisdom. If it isn't necessary do you just insert a gum pucky or a glow bead instead.

so the hook is the last 3/4 of the tentacles, any cuttle, squirt,hootchie, needlefish that i am draggin. i use beads, pucky, swivel , whatever,to end up there.

image.jpg

One of my creations. Really makes a normal hootchy come to life. Especially in the water.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are nice RiverBoy. Are they store bought inserts or do you make them. What kind of material is the insert made of. In line with my first question, I was wondering if someone like yourself, who obviously uses inserts with his hoochies ( they look great). Do you use the inserts all the time or is there times when the extra flash might be too much and a naked hoochie might work better.

I find that inserts , on occasion, make a difference.

But it depends on the type/color of the insert being used.

I never use the stock metallic silvery insert that comes with a lot of packaged hoochies. I find that that a plain hoochy will mostly outfish the stock metallic insert.

When I use an insert I end up doing a custom trim job on it so that the hoochy ends up bevelling toward the tail.

If I just stick an insert in there I end with a "paint-brush" -looking tail on the hoochy.....makes the rear of the hoochy look too thick.

I like the inserts as my own personal preference. I haven't seen them do any harm. I have a ton of them so I use them. I do think the coho like the disco show since they're usually higher in the water column. But I use them for all salmon and it works just fine down here in Puget Sound.

Those are nice RiverBoy. Are they store bought inserts or do you make them. What kind of material is the insert made of. In line with my first question, I was wondering if someone like yourself, who obviously uses inserts with his hoochies ( they look great). Do you use the inserts all the time or is there times when the extra flash might be too much and a naked hoochie might work better.

Thanks. I tie them my self on a vise using a tube fly attachment. I don't use tube fly material however. I use a roller bead. Then I hit it with head cement. The second pic looks all fat and puffy; but that's because it's laying flat on my hand. In the water it's much more compact looking and looks very sexy.

Sorry I forgot to mention I use Krinkle Mirror flash. It very much looks like a needle fish in the water.

What the heck is a roller bead? Can you provide us a pic of the custom tied insert on its own?

Franko

MILF (Man, I Love Fishing)

image.jpg

Roller beads are a commercial fishing thing. They would attach tinsel to the bead and then insert into a hootchie of their choice. I just use them for my own application. This one is chartreuse lime. Some people think it's bling, I just find it has a iridescent look in the water. It constantly changes colour and flash. Just like a school of bait fish when they all turn in unison in the water.

^ Woah, that's actually a good idea!

Was just thinking 'what about those Ace high flys', haven't ever caught anything with the one I have, but I really haven't dragged it that long, maybe that's what I will do with it!
Cheers

That's a pretty expensive insert there fishchaser, would be good though. I like the multifraction type inserts, I'm not sure who puts them out but they sure look good in the water.;) eman

Nice idea there Riverboy. Love to see guys who have ideas on how to build a better mouse trap.

Back