What's this guy up to

sir-vivor

This guy was anchored off the light tower S Arm) about 2 miles towards the north arm. When I fished about 1/2 mile from him my down rigger wire got a pull and bang , 15 lb ball gone. It happened 3 times. Is this guy laying come

Attachments

• 20190731_121106.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 237
What do they do with all the **** and debris that they dredge off the bottom?

They take it out off the south arm into the deep water and dump it . I think they can only do it when the tides are right. They dredge so the big ships can make it up the river without running aground.

Pretty sure they just take it out into the straight and dump it, there is up to 800’ of water out there if I’m not mistaken, so not a biggy. Another ship, the Fort Langley, used to do the same thing.

Ya always seeing him dredging the S Arm and always give him lots of room , didnt think he layed cable . But just odd that I lost 3 balls in the same area within an hour or so. Could it maybe be snags on commercial crab gear ??? (If was a shuttle pull then snap ! Gone !) Or maybe we got another idiot laying cable out like that years ago near Point Atkinson ??

Ya always seeing him dredging the S Arm and always give him lots of room , didnt think he layed cable . But just odd that I lost 3 balls in the same area within an hour or so. Could it maybe be snags on commercial crab gear ??? (If was a shuttle pull then snap ! Gone !) Or maybe we got another idiot laying cable out like that years ago near Point Atkinson ??

Well sandheads will be loaded with boats over the next few weeks so will find out fast

Or my wire was EXPIRED ,but it was replaced last year (and going to change it again this week)
Kinda hoping it's my wire and not someone screwing with us

One of my old fishing buddies had a similar issue in that area ages ago and never did figure out WTH was cutting him off at a certain depth-probably discarded something but what?

One of my old fishing buddies had a similar issue in that area ages ago and never did figure out WTH was cutting him off at a certain depth-probably discarded something but what?
Ya it was really weird, but to hit it 3 times, WTF ! must have been something stretched over miles .... Kinda thinking it was a rough crab line or ?????? I would have thought it was a old down-rigger line but it was just replaced last year and when I put it down all went well for awhile then a pull line a hugh fish unclipped , then pop ! and no more weight on cable ...Damn

I have the brake on my riggers set so when a ball is hanging on them, I can pull on the ball (with a fair amount of force) and the brake will slip allowing wire to feed out. This way, if my ball catches on somthing, the rigger will let wire out until i have a chance to back up and try to pull the ball from the other direction to dislodge it. I have saved a number of balls this way.
I have also been fishing out at the mouth of the fraser and the current was so strong, my wire angle came way up and i didnt notice in time and it got nicked by the motor and was cut off.

Could have happened but I got a very good guard on my kicker and how did u set that brake ?? But, it was a slow tug and then ping ...off so just seemed like a hang up, but to hit the spot 3 times in a matter of an hour ...I am still scratching my head. Never had more that 1 lost s season, maybe I was do lol

Could have happened but I got a very good guard on my kicker and how did u set that brake ?? But, it was a slow tug and then ping ...off so just seemed like a hang up, but to hit the spot 3 times in a matter of an hour ...I am still scratching my head. Never had more that 1 lost s season, maybe I was do lol

depends what model you have, here is a link to a video from scotty. If you do a search on youtube a few other videos come up. you want to set it so when you pull down on the ball with maybe 50lbs of force, the brake will slip and let line out. that way if you get hung up it wont snap you off right away.

Back