What's in your kit?

Hoochiebob

As my winter restoration on my boat is done now (thank little baby Jesus) I am down to the little details in final preparation for some serious outings. When it comes to being on the water you cant be too careful.
We all know about the safety equipment we are required to carry,but I'm surprised that there isn't more info available for dealing with mechanical distress- something that makes safety equipment necessary.
Here are a few items that are going into my "mechanical distress kit"
vice grips
multi-screwdriver
combination wrenches
electrical tape
PC-7 two part epoxy
bungee cords
utility knife
spare fuses
LPS lube

I am assembling this info so that new and experienced boaters can share their knowledge (and mishaps) to help everyone have a better chance of coming home successfully.

So what's in your kit?

Hooch
swiftsurehaliaug07-1.jpg

I keep a couple of nut drivers that fit the hose clamp nut sizes as well. They are tough to get off in a well with a screwdriver.

Spare engine oil, Hydraulic steering oil, Spare downrigger belts and pin, spare downrigger plug, jumper wires, Spare prop and nut/cotter pin.-some spare electrical wire-appropriate gauges, butt connecters for same. Guess it depends on how big your boat is and where you are going? Just a few thoughts!

Depends on where I am going and what kinds of resources are available, where I am going! It is not cheap having parts flown in from Seattle to anywhere out in the middle of nowhere on the WCVI. :)

People are usually surprised when something goes wrong and I go down and pull out my tools and the spare part needed to fix it. I usually have everything I can possibly carry in tools, spare parts, and anything else I think there is the possibility I will use and admittedly - too much, but I do have a fairly large boat that can carry a lot of extra things that are stored down below.

But, whatever you decide along with what has been mentioned, which is good but you probably should include extra downrigger parts, impeller, and fuel filter. A starter pack and some cork plugs would also not be a bad idea! Nothing like seeing a broken raw water fitting or line and no way to stop it – 20 miles offshore!

Just some thoughts! :)

red green tape !!!!!!! fuel teflon tape as well, spare fuel filter, spare oil for kicker and main. sunlight bio degradabale soap, asst hose clamps,ZAP straps, surgical gloves, 5 min jb weld stuuf is amazing for lots of things.

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

I agree with Salmonlander - you need a hammer because to finish Big Guy's post -" if you can't fix it with a hammer then its an electrical problem".

Went to Renfrew (sooke way) left the kicker tilted up, went out fishing tilt bracket was toast couldn't move the kicker at all. Out comes the hammer fishing in 10 min's.

I know it's not a mechanical issue it might be a safety issue but definitly a smelly issue. Gravol and TP for newbies, Nothing like seeing the newspaper the anchovies were wrapped in float by[:0]

socket and wrench kit
screwdriver w/diff. bits
spark plugs
zap straps of several sizes
duct tape
vice grips
wd40
spare engine oil (for 2 or 4 stroke engines)
spare fuel filter
spare primer bulb
spare fuses
all my odd ss bolts ive picked up with boat projects i keep in a drawer on the boat
electrical tape
spare plugs!!! for all size plug holes on the boat
bungee cords
downrigger spare parts (end clip, spare cannonball, spare release clips, extra line stoppers, inline fuses)
extra rope lengths
rubber gloves
grease gun (one of the small size ones)

img3937n.jpg

socket and wrench kit
screwdriver w/diff. bits
spark plugs
zap straps of several sizes
duct tape
vice grips
wd40
spare engine oil (for 2 or 4 stroke engines)
spare fuel filter
spare primer bulb
spare fuses
all my odd ss bolts ive picked up with boat projects i keep in a drawer on the boat
electrical tape
spare plugs!!! for all size plug holes on the boat
bungee cords
downrigger spare parts (end clip, spare cannonball, spare release clips, extra line stoppers, inline fuses)
extra rope lengths
rubber gloves
grease gun (one of the small size ones)

img3937n.jpg

Costco sells a 150 piece tool kit for $50 bucks. Comes with all metric and imperial sockets, wrenches, screwdrivers, hammer, tape measure (including a mark at 45 cms and 65 cms), level, plyers, cutters la la la...

The kit folds down flat and can be stored under foot. I use it almost daily it seems. They are NOT shop grade tools, but as an emergency backup they are a perfect set. Spray them with WD40 or PB-Blaster and they still rust a little but at least still move.

Cdn tire has a great digital multi-meter for $20 that goes on sale for $9.95 once or twice a year.

Jumper cables are VERY handy when you need a boost and the ONLY other dude nearby doesn't have them.

Emergency coffee pot and lighter when you forget to stop at Timmy's on the way to the dock. Go to MEC and pick up one of the small Butane/Propane stoves and an aluminum percolator -- makes 4 cups of coffee in about 5 minutes. I can even show you how to hang one of these so the pot won't tip over in the swells so you can make a pot while fishing.

TenMile
<'((((><

Back