What's for dinner tonight ?

Day 3 on the seafood train. Crab cakes from Sooke, coho salmon from Renfrew, now lingcod from Top Knot with coleslaw. Fish cut into finger sized strips, flour, into eggwash, then into crushed up Miss Vickies sour cream/onion chips. Seaghost's recipe. Phenomenal. Kid crushed them all.

Day 3 on the seafood train. Crab cakes from Sooke, coho salmon from Renfrew, now lingcod from Top Knot with coleslaw. Fish cut into finger sized strips, flour, into eggwash, then into crushed up Miss Vickies sour cream/onion chips. Seaghost's recipe. Phenomenal. Kid crushed them all.
Awesome with salt and vinegar chips as well. We tried sweet Thai chilli as well. Both Ms.Vickies chips. Both recommended.

Butchered a couple whitetails for some Buddies day before yest, and they graciously gifted me a couple tenderloins. So, last night was their moment...

Spiced and slathered with butter / lemon / garlic sauce, then on the BarBee:

5HV8Yao.jpg

Interesting shot. Almost makes it look like the Tenderloins are on some sort of Alter:

ShCjfBK.jpg

Cooked to slightly less than medium rare before pulling them:

Duj8dqO.jpg

Slathered with Chanterelles, shaved garlic & onions.
Accompanied by long grain & wild rice with more Chanterelles & chopped green onion:

8LIWMCp.jpg

Then served up with Caesar salad and a fine Merlot.

zixo3q6.jpg

Marvelous!!

Cheers,
Nog

A good Buddy asked me the other day: Do you like elk?
Yep, love them actually.
Ever eat any Roosevelt elk?
Nope. Taken a considerable pile of Rocky Mountain elk, but never chawed down on a Rosie.
Here - try this and let me know what you think!
YEP!!
sHa_shakeshout.gif

Inside round steaks on the grill:

pRxrB4z.jpg

Went with a subtle sauce of butter, garlic and a hint of lemon so as not to interfere with the elk's flavor:

JBx1SqK.jpg

BarBee'd to just shy of medium rare, then served up with Chanterelle shrooms, onions, shaved garlic, wild rice and fresh beets from the garden:

k3Uqz1Q.jpg

Paired with a fine Shiraz, it was a meal fit for Royalty!
The elk was very tender, and had a most excellent flavor.
Makes me desperately hope one day I'll draw a tag for on here on The Rock!

ALJw8nK.jpg

Cheers!
Nog

A good Buddy asked me the other day: Do you like elk?
Yep, love them actually.
Ever eat any Roosevelt elk?
Nope. Taken a considerable pile of Rocky Mountain elk, but never chawed down on a Rosie.
Here - try this and let me know what you think!
YEP!!
sHa_shakeshout.gif

Inside round steaks on the grill:

pRxrB4z.jpg

Went with a subtle sauce of butter, garlic and a hint of lemon so as not to interfere with the elk's flavor:

JBx1SqK.jpg

BarBee'd to just shy of medium rare, then served up with Chanterelle shrooms, onions, shaved garlic, wild rice and fresh beets from the garden:

k3Uqz1Q.jpg

Paired with a fine Shiraz, it was a meal fit for Royalty!
The elk was very tender, and had a most excellent flavor.
Makes me desperately hope one day I'll draw a tag for on here on The Rock!

ALJw8nK.jpg

Cheers!
Nog
Frick that looks good. I have to convince the wife to start to eat our wild meat a little more on the rare side. Not quite as rare as you like it but a tad more than what she likes. I like mine a solid medium.

I can taste that clean, wild, organic meat through the pic awesome stuff man, best there is.

Try some on the rarer side.
You will likely be very surprised at just how flavorful & tender they turn out like that way.

It was an excellent meal, one I really wish I could duplicate on a frequent basis...
Maybe some year...

Cheers,
nog

My mom teaching my wife today how to make my favourite cake that I grew up with on special occasions. My great-grandmothers special walnut cake when everything was made from scratch! Had 3 pieces - who needs dinner?

Attachments

• C296FD5B-EAA3-49EE-96FF-6121809A9ABB.jpeg
    C296FD5B-EAA3-49EE-96FF-6121809A9ABB.jpeg
    348.3 KB · Views: 39
My mom teaching my wife today how to make my favourite cake that I grew up with on special occasions. My great-grandmothers special walnut cake when everything was made from scratch! Had 3 pieces - who needs dinner?
Man that looks good. Cream cheese icing?

Back