What's for dinner tonight ?

I have always wanted to do a whole suckling pig. I ordered this one from my local butcher. He dressed it & trimmed it perfectly. It dressed out at 43lbs.

I didnt want to cover it with rub or inject anything. A pig like this should have amazing flavor on it's own. That said I just rubbed the inside with sea salt & rubbed olive oil around the outside for color.

It's my first pig & I want to taste the pork and smoke. Then I can decide what I think would kick it up a couple notches the next time.

I will post pics when it's done and let you know how it turns out.20200905_084156.jpg 20200905_084942.jpg

I have always wanted to do a whole suckling pig. I ordered this one from my local butcher. He dressed it & trimmed it perfectly. It dressed out at 43lbs.

I didnt want to cover it with rub or inject anything. A pig like this should have amazing flavor on it's own. That said I just rubbed the inside with sea salt & rubbed olive oil around the outside for color.

It's my first pig & I want to taste the pork and smoke. Then I can decide what I think would kick it up a couple notches the next time.

I will post pics when it's done and let you know how it turns out.View attachment 56649 View attachment 56651
Looking forward to the outcome!

Awe man oil on the skin is a huge mistake. Lots of salt and prick the skin thousands of times. Let it render out slow then put it to the fire and the very end to let it crackle.

Awe man oil on the skin is a huge mistake. Lots of salt and prick the skin thousands of times. Let it render out slow then put it to the fire and the very end to let it crackle.

Definitely lots to learn. Thanks for the tip. Next time.

Well the whole pig turned out great! Meat falls off the bone. I'm so full right now.!

Attachments

• 20200905_162727.jpg
    20200905_162727.jpg
    346.7 KB · Views: 96
  • 20200905_164825.jpg
    20200905_164825.jpg
    271.5 KB · Views: 93
Looks great ILHG, doesn’t look like that oil hurt it at all,, didn’t think it would as you didn’t have it over open flame but rather smoke. Did the skin get crunchy at all, how long, what temp ?

Looks great ILHG, doesn’t look like that oil hurt it at all,, didn’t think it would as you didn’t have it over open flame but rather smoke. Did the skin get crunchy at all, how long, what temp ?

The skin got nice and crunchy. A bit higher heat at the end would have made it darker.

It took about 7.5hrs. First 5hrs at 225 & then 2.5 hrs at 325. Internal temp of 190.
I will bring it up to 200 next time so that a bit more fat can render out.

I'm glad I only used salt. That's all it needs. It actually melts in your mouth.

The skin got nice and crunchy. A bit higher heat at the end would have made it darker.

It took about 7.5hrs. First 5hrs at 225 & then 2.5 hrs at 325. Internal temp of 190.
I will bring it up to 200 next time so that a bit more fat can render out.

I'm glad I only used salt. That's all it needs. It actually melts in your mouth.
Amazing. Thanks for sharing

Out for din din with the wife for anniversary. She loved the strawberry rhubarb pie from last week so I made her another :) Daughters and their friends ended up devouring the other multi berry pie the other day. Has been such a bumper crop of berries this year so also made some jam's last night. Gonna do up some blackberry jam later this week as well.

View attachment 56509

View attachment 56510

View attachment 56511

View attachment 56512

View attachment 56513

View attachment 56514

View attachment 56515

View attachment 56516

View attachment 56517
That is some damn fine pastry work on that pie!

Snacked on some of this for dinner, straight out of the smoker. Did way bigger chunks this time. Two whites and a marble. VERY OILY. Tastes great but the look still just seems off to me. I really like a bright red salmon. Resized_20200906_223337.jpeg

Burger night! Home ground sirloin 1/2 lb beef patties, hickory smoked bacon, home made onion rings, aged white cheddar cheese, spring mix greens, home grown heirloom black krim tomato, home made honey smoked chipotle mayo on a toasted brioche bun. Salad is spring mix greens, avocado, red peppers, red onion, heirloom tomato, feta cheese, candied pecans, and pear Gorgonzola vinaigrette. Washed it down with a Belgian White beer in a frosted glass.

118959508_961868054314767_2721888255200421115_o.jpg

Burger night! Home ground sirloin 1/2 lb beef patties, hickory smoked bacon, home made onion rings, aged white cheddar cheese, spring mix greens, home grown heirloom black krim tomato, home made honey smoked chipotle mayo on a toasted brioche bun. Salad is spring mix greens, avocado, red peppers, red onion, heirloom tomato, feta cheese, candied pecans, and pear Gorgonzola vinaigrette. Washed it down with a Belgian White beer in a frosted glass.

View attachment 56796
I agree on the 1/2 lb patties. Cooks to a nice medium rare with a good crust.

Next time try breaking them in to 1/4 pound x 2 and smash them. Its a game changer. Twice the crust and twice the cheese, same amount of meat. Thank me later.
I do like them "diner style" like that on occasion. I also steam the buns with onions when I do that. 2 totally different burgers. Dam it now I'm hungry

Back