What's for dinner tonight ?

FISH CAMP STEW

Beef,beer, and mushroom stew one pot meal in the cast iron pan..again. High heat seared beef, garlic, rosemary, onions then a whole can of beer, Roma tomatoes, thyme, chicken or beef stock, salt n pepper, bay leaf, worcestershire couple dashes, paprika, chilli powder.. great recipe for game meat.

Nice rich tasty broth, leave it loose no thickener needed.. someone told me they did the same thing and put a pastry on top of the cast iron...damn!

With a homemade jalapeño biscuit sorry i can't control myself not zoooming in @Rain City
D2575CFD-A075-401E-B817-DC3D19D6E4D3.JPG
79A5F682-2946-4966-9FC6-58098D4E6E8A.JPG
609162FB-5B90-48D3-886C-92B95D267C3F.JPG

Last edited:
Bacon Wrapped Whitetail Backstrap. Unfortunately the last piece of backstrap from last fall's buck...

TSizeX8.jpg

The nice thing is you can't overcook. Choose the temp from the guide as to how you want it cooked, set it and forget it. A medium rare steak takes about 45 mins depending on the thickness but it comes out SO incredibly juicy. Fish comes out amazingly moist.
Love the sous vide. Dont use it much during the week, but all the time on the weekend.

Love the sous vide. Dont use it much during the week, but all the time on the weekend.

yeah we love our sous vide aswell, fool proof and really imparts whatever else you have In the bag into the meat. Wrap in paper towel when out of the bag and 0 issues with getting a good crust on it. I don’t go as far as doing huge prime ribs, 4 - 5 lb lamb roasts is as big as I go , we reverse sear those big rib roasts on the green egg with a hint of smoke . Unreal

What do you sous vide guys like for a machine? I see there is all different kinds and prices. I'm curious, zero experience with this style of cooking but I have been interested over the years as it has popped up in this thread.

Thanks,
Darin

Last edited:
What do you sous vide guys like for a machine? I see there is all different kinds and prices. I'm curious, zero experience with this style of cooking but I have been interested over the years as it has pooped up in this thread.

Thanks,
Darin

I think this one is just a newer version of ours as it was a Xmas gift a year and a half ago. It's the only one I've tried but from what I have seen you have two kinds; the ones that clip on the side of a pot or a full blown machine which I imagine would be much more expensive and almost more suited to a restaurant.

Sansaire
https://www.thebay.com/product/sans...ujqOwTWemI8PWtQOn_EaAj_gEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Here are some reviews from as recent as February.

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-sous-vide-gear/

As Adanac was saying you can impart a lot of flavor into what you are cooking. I did some halibut a week or so ago with olive oil, pepper, a small bit of minced garlic, chives and a pinch of salt and it came out unbelievably with a very quick sear to finish it off.

Thanks for the info guys......ordered one. Supposed to be here Friday. I'm thinking sous vide roast this weekend for beef dip.

First time trying brisket. Overnight rub, 5 hours indirect heat in gas grill with 2.5" cubes of solid oak from a gardening project smoking above the burner that was on, 5 more hours at 240* in oven heavily wrapped in foil, about 80 minutes still wrapped in foil then a towel in a cooler. Very happy with texture, juiciness and flavour.
Wraps tonight with the 85 lb mutt ready to pounce on spills. Bunwiches with 2 metre away friends tomorrow.
Any advice on re warming without drying?
upload_2020-5-27_20-52-23.png
upload_2020-5-27_20-54-24.png

Looks great! Steam it. No joke. Check out AmazingRibs.com . Changed my world.
First time trying brisket. Overnight rub, 5 hours indirect heat in gas grill with 2.5" cubes of solid oak from a gardening project smoking above the burner that was on, 5 more hours at 240* in oven heavily wrapped in foil, about 80 minutes still wrapped in foil then a towel in a cooler. Very happy with texture, juiciness and flavour.
Wraps tonight with the 85 lb mutt ready to pounce on spills. Bunwiches with 2 metre away friends tomorrow.
Any advice on re warming without drying?
View attachment 53340
View attachment 53339

101213048_10157965564671084_8507180038314000384_n.jpg

99008815_10157965564476084_4288714781394731008_n.jpg

100089048_10157965564411084_5467188197496717312_n.jpg

Went harvesting some oyster mushrooms , found a few... then dinner it was a BBQ feast of farm raised local pork steak that I seared then wrapped up tight in foil and let sit for a hour at (200) in bbq , Ruffed Grouse breast and then the mushrooms, sweet red onion and peppers pork we cut with a butter knife is was that tender super yummy.....

Back