What's for dinner tonight ?

Blacktail Backstraps sat in the marinade around 5 or 6 hours:

JNbZTAn.jpg

Then cut into steaks, and marinaded another hour.

xymhLeB.jpg

Meanwhile prep was done to ready for the caramelized Brussels sprouts. First up, bacon - cause everything goes better with BACON!

wYtugNF.jpg

Remove bacon when crisp for making bacon bits and brown Pine Nuts:

ouZNTiI.jpg

Chop Brussels, add rendered bacon grease, olive oil, salt & pepper and toss well. Set on lined sheet. Can see bacon bits background right, and balsamic / maple syrup mix on the left. Put in preheated 425 oven for ~ 20 minutes (stir reasonably often) until tender & caramelized.

uXmme15.jpg

Drop steaks on hot BarBee and grill to medium rare:

PMEoB4Z.jpg

Pull Brussels and toss with balsamic / maple mix, then top with bacon bits and Pine Nuts:

alNNkKJ.jpg

Dish Up:

MdZuTq8.jpg

7ezbAMA.jpg

And Have At 'Er!!

NMggHhK.jpg

Certainly hit the spot!
sHa_shakeshout.gif

Cheers - Nog

Cast iron pan seared steak with butter, olive oil, cloves of smashed garlic, rosemary and salt and pepper, haven’t done this in a while wow so tasty..with some garlic mash...
\]

I did this recently but cooked the steak sous vide first and then a hot sear almost the exact same way you did.

We have got back into using our sous vide machine during lock down and I don't know why we don't use it more often. It does an awesome job on everything we've been cooking in it; beef, pork, lamb, fish etc.

I did this recently but cooked the steak sous vide first and then a hot sear almost the exact same way you did.

We have got back into using our sous vide machine during lock down and I don't know why we don't use it more often. It does an awesome job on everything we've been cooking in it; beef, pork, lamb, fish etc.
You can do the same thing without the hassle of the SV. Just throw it in the oven at 300 until it's at 125 then sear away. Not a chance you'd notice the difference vs. the SV. I find it helps with forming a good crust after too because it's a dryer heat on the surface vs. a bath in a bag.

I don't have one of those machines, just recently started throwing in to a vac bag with herbs, sealing it and bringing it up to temp, came out so tender, gonna
try it out on fresh salmon, need to get a proper machine to hold the temp...

I don't have one of those machines, just recently started throwing in to a vac bag with herbs, sealing it and bringing it up to temp, came out so tender, gonna
Don't go to the dark side Marco. You're going to end up being one of those guys talking about his 48 hour roasts :rolleyes:
All jokes aside I do hear it's an idiot proof way to get crazy results. Maybe one day...

You can do the same thing without the hassle of the SV. Just throw it in the oven at 300 until it's at 125 then sear away. Not a chance you'd notice the difference vs. the SV. I find it helps with forming a good crust after too because it's a dryer heat on the surface vs. a bath in a bag.
No bag of coarse? lol the reason i started doing it, boiling the bag that is, when you forget to take something out of the freezer and its frozen solid
so i just stuck it directly into a warm bath till thawed all the way, damn the meat was tender and tasty as hell, it was pork, not a good steak, so saterted
giving the meat a slight warm bath in the bag, damn sears quick with a nice warm rare inside.. cracked some codes over these covid holidays lol

The nice thing is you can't overcook. Choose the temp from the guide as to how you want it cooked, set it and forget it. A medium rare steak takes about 45 mins depending on the thickness but it comes out SO incredibly juicy. Fish comes out amazingly moist.

Back