What's for dinner tonight ?

Discussion in 'Recipes, Storage and Preparation of Seafood' started by scott craven, Jan 31, 2014.

1. adanac

adanac Well-Known Member

been making our own chilli crisp for awhile now, super easy and way better than store bought !

2. Rain City

Rain City Crew Member

Get OUT!? I'd love to hear more.

3. Derby

Derby Crew Member

Man one needs to up there game to stay in this thread :) :) :) great job guys :)

4. adanac

adanac Well-Known Member

marbledmurrelet and Rain City like this.
  5. IronNoggin

IronNoggin Well-Known Member

Blacktail Backstraps sat in the marinade around 5 or 6 hours:

[​IMG]

Then cut into steaks, and marinaded another hour.

[​IMG]

Meanwhile prep was done to ready for the caramelized Brussels sprouts. First up, bacon - cause everything goes better with BACON!

[​IMG]

Remove bacon when crisp for making bacon bits and brown Pine Nuts:

[​IMG]

Chop Brussels, add rendered bacon grease, olive oil, salt & pepper and toss well. Set on lined sheet. Can see bacon bits background right, and balsamic / maple syrup mix on the left. Put in preheated 425 oven for ~ 20 minutes (stir reasonably often) until tender & caramelized.

[​IMG]

Drop steaks on hot BarBee and grill to medium rare:

[​IMG]

Pull Brussels and toss with balsamic / maple mix, then top with bacon bits and Pine Nuts:

[​IMG]

Dish Up:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And Have At 'Er!!

[​IMG]

Certainly hit the spot! [​IMG]

Cheers - Nog

6. IronNoggin

Decisions Decisions Decisions...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hmmmmm..... [​IMG]

Nog

sasqman, Doug and ILHG like this.
  7. Gear'n'beer!

Gear'n'beer! Well-Known Member

Jeez us you eat good man!

IronNoggin likes this.
  8. Gear'n'beer!

IMG_1933.JPG Ok I got some borscht on the go.......not nog quality but good shit all the same

leaseman, walleyes, Admin and 4 others like this.
  9. IronNoggin

10. Reeltime

Reeltime Well-Known Member

Cast iron pan seared steak with butter, olive oil, cloves of smashed garlic, rosemary and salt and pepper, haven’t done this in a while wow so tasty..with some garlic mash...
    \ Screen Shot 2020-05-23 at 12.13.11 PM.png D3268BA2-0F96-4ECD-A691-C78BC45B13D5.JPG

11. Rain City

Rain City Crew Member

Ok the close-ups are getting a little intense now ;)

Derby and Reeltime like this.
  12. sasqman

sasqman Crew Member

That looks incredible!!

13. Gear'n'beer!

2117D7BE-7264-496C-848D-3B499DAB1B13.jpeg
    0F8568F7-6965-49A5-A1D3-69C05D761E3B.jpeg

Boring old tuna sandwiches for lunch

Rain City and Derby like this.
  14. Pippen

Pippen Well-Known Member

I did this recently but cooked the steak sous vide first and then a hot sear almost the exact same way you did.

We have got back into using our sous vide machine during lock down and I don't know why we don't use it more often. It does an awesome job on everything we've been cooking in it; beef, pork, lamb, fish etc.

Reeltime and sasqman like this.
  15. Rain City

Rain City Crew Member

You can do the same thing without the hassle of the SV. Just throw it in the oven at 300 until it's at 125 then sear away. Not a chance you'd notice the difference vs. the SV. I find it helps with forming a good crust after too because it's a dryer heat on the surface vs. a bath in a bag.

Reeltime likes this.
  16. Reeltime

I don't have one of those machines, just recently started throwing in to a vac bag with herbs, sealing it and bringing it up to temp, came out so tender, gonna
    try it out on fresh salmon, need to get a proper machine to hold the temp...

17. Rain City

Rain City Crew Member

Don't go to the dark side Marco. You're going to end up being one of those guys talking about his 48 hour roasts :rolleyes:
    All jokes aside I do hear it's an idiot proof way to get crazy results. Maybe one day...

Reeltime likes this.
  18. Reeltime

No bag of coarse? lol the reason i started doing it, boiling the bag that is, when you forget to take something out of the freezer and its frozen solid
    so i just stuck it directly into a warm bath till thawed all the way, damn the meat was tender and tasty as hell, it was pork, not a good steak, so saterted
    giving the meat a slight warm bath in the bag, damn sears quick with a nice warm rare inside.. cracked some codes over these covid holidays lol

fishinforever and Rain City like this.
  19. Reeltime

haha no way i like simple, no fancy crazy long waits unless it's brisket

leaseman and Rain City like this.
  20. Pippen

Pippen Well-Known Member

The nice thing is you can't overcook. Choose the temp from the guide as to how you want it cooked, set it and forget it. A medium rare steak takes about 45 mins depending on the thickness but it comes out SO incredibly juicy. Fish comes out amazingly moist.

Reeltime likes this.