What's for dinner tonight ?

Aged Alberta Prime Rib bought from my local butcher and all fresh from the garden, potatoes with dill and green onions with butter. The potatoes were so, so good, from the dirt to the pot in 5 mins.

vJXozX1.jpg

Aged Alberta Prime Rib bought from my local butcher and all fresh from the garden, potatoes with dill and green onions with butter. The potatoes were so, so good, from the dirt to the pot in 5 mins.

The best bite is when you get a little bark, some pink, and a bit of fat all on the fork at once. Heaven. When did you start your spuds? Ours still look small.

The best bite is when you get a little bark, some pink, and a bit of fat all on the fork at once. Heaven. When did you start your spuds? Ours still look small.

Yah she was a good chunk of beef. Our butcher self ages all his meat, all depends on what you want to pay, if you want he’ll age it till it’s solid black for you.

We don't plant until after May long, I was surprised at how big they are already, some 3” spuds in there, didn’t hill this year as we only planted about 12 plants just to enjoy fresh. For the bin we’ll buy from the local brethren this year let them do the work lol, at $10 a sack it doesn’t pay.

Last nites fresh surf n turf. Pink salmon, Hali, Dungee Crab, bbq steak and baked potato. Sorry no room for a veggie hehe

Attachments

• 6C999976-BC4C-4189-947E-A08649CDDD37.jpeg
    6C999976-BC4C-4189-947E-A08649CDDD37.jpeg
    415.8 KB · Views: 63
Any chance you could share this recipe @Chasin' Dreams ? Looks delicious.
Hmmm well I don't cook from recipes I usually just wing it with flavors/ingredients I have on hand or I get inspiration from dishes I see then adjust them with spices/herbs/ingredients to flavors I like. The broth I make home made just out of shrimp/prawn shells, some salmon bones with bit of meat on still, vegetables, water, and wine, then simmer that for awhile then strain that so just thin broth is left and that's what I use as a base for the chowder then I add all the other stuff. But you could use a store bought seafood broth as a base. Coconut milk cream and heavy cream are added to give flavor and thicken a bit. I used one can of coconut milk cream and about a half cup of 33% heavy cream and about a half cup of white wine. You can use a sweet or dry wine whatever your pallet likes. Potatoes take longest to cook so they go in for awhile. I like the small nugget potatoes in a chowder. Then green peppers or whatever other veggies you like. Sweet corn is really good in this too. Then the cherry tomatoes, fish and shrimp/prawns go in at the end cause they only take a few minutes to cook in the chowder.

The Caribbean style curry spice mix I make up myself by grinding the whole spices then mixing with the already powdered spices. In the Caribbean curry spices I put Coriander Seeds, Cumin Seeds, Yellow or Black Mustard Seeds, whole Allspice, whole Black Pepper,Fennel Seeds, Fenugreek Seeds, Turmeric Powder, Ginger Powder, Garlic Powder, whole cloves, onion powder, Thyme, Red Chili flake and Star Anise. If you can find a Caribbean curry pre made spice mix you can use that but I've never seen one in the store yet. We went to Jamaica on holidays years ago and I fell in love with their version of curry over there so I made notes of what they use in their mix. It is a much milder, sweeter, complex flavored curry mix than Indian. Indian I find bolder and more straight forward with it's flavor. That's why I like to mix the two. Best of both types of flavors I find. The Indian curry spice that I mix with the Caribbean spices is Madras brand powder and another one I can't remember what it's called cause we just dump it into a glass jar out of it's packaging when we buy it. I'll ask my wife when she gets home. It's a good one too. I also add about a Tbsp of Old Bay seasoning too. It's good in all seafood dishes I find. And salt and pepper to taste. I also put a bit of fresh sweet basil in it too. Gives it an added fresh vibrant flavor too.

@Chasin' Dreams I like the way you work.....very much how we cook in our house.

I do agree on the Caribbean version of curry; it's been a while since I have been to Jamaica but had similar experiences in Tobago this past Christmas. Definitely a different flavour to it.

"a bit of this....a bit of that"

Have been rolling like that for years once you understand what certain spices/ingredients are going to do to your final product.

@Chasin' Dreams I like the way you work.....very much how we cook in our house.

I do agree on the Caribbean version of curry; it's been a while since I have been to Jamaica but had similar experiences in Tobago this past Christmas. Definitely a different flavour to it.

"a bit of this....a bit of that"
Have been rolling like that for years once you understand what certain spices/ingredients are going to do to your final product.

Right on Scott. Ya the more we experiment with spices and herbs the easier it gets to tune flavours in to what our pallets like and what spices and herb combos complement different foods. I love cooking and making all my own meals has helped me lose 80 lbs in just a year and half. Keeping the pre boxed processed fake sugar filled foods to a minimum. Gotta have me beer or wine with a good meal though.

I disagree. If you're a 40 year old man and you still haven't figured out seasoning, you're a recipe guy. Nothing wrong with that. Some people can wing it and others can't.

Reactions: abl
Surprised a couple good friends who both just had birthdays this month with a belated big barbecue dinner and dessert tonight capped off with some good laughs around the fire. Thai coconut shrimp and salmon chowder, saffron Jasmin rice, Elote Mexican corn, cream sauced bbq salmon, and peach cobbler with vanilla bean ice cream for desert.

68625551_670556706779238_5087593666411757568_n.jpg

69253110_670556890112553_2438216881983717376_n.jpg

68697557_670556970112545_4350615022590754816_n.jpg

69389910_670557230112519_2535542193825775616_n.jpg

68644708_670557283445847_4116225381504122880_n.jpg

Sweet & savory marinated Spring Salmon garnished with toasted Macadamia nuts and sesame seeds & home made Mexican creme/tartar, with Jasmin rice with home grown green house peppers, onion, sweet Okanagan corn, home grown greenhouse tomatoes, feta cheese and Tajin spice.

Left the marinade to sit without fish in it for an hour so the ginger, garlic, sauce would combine flavors then put salmon in the marinade, vac packed and let sit in fridge for hour and half. Fried the fish in bit of butter and avocado oil then added some of the marinade towards end of cooking and garnished fish with it. Sauce marinade is a nice not too sweet marinade still a bit savory. 6 tbsp sashimi soy (can use a light soy, regular is too strong I find), 2 tbsp marin, 2 tbsp real maple syrup (we make our own :) ), 2 tbsp ponzu, some garlic and ginger.

20190822_160633.jpg

20190822_163941.jpg

20190822_163956.jpg

20190822_172858.jpg

20190822_165013.jpg

20190822_184714.jpg

20190822_190426.jpg

20190822_191947.jpg

Back