What?......

Lipripper

Just a guess out of the blue but it may have something to do with them being tanked for so long... They do not like to proven wrong

absolutely crazy..what harm would there be if they were released.. they are healthy chinook donated to the DFO..willingly..makes me sick they can allow netpen fishfarms full of salmon all along the route of the wild chinooks but cannot except the donation of 50,000 chinooks?? DFO pull your head outta the sand!

Last edited by a moderator:
If DFO visited the place and tested the fish, finding them healthy and not genetically different from other hatchery fish - then why not? Off course the story does not say whether they even did that. As Lippy said, they just don't like to be proven wrong.

Would you not think the older smolts would have a better survival rate once released into the wild? DFO should do a better job of explaining their reasoning behind this..seems a shame to youthanize healthy fish..

I assume this hatchery has been releasing fish before, but in this case it is a new approach to raise them for 18 months in freshwater? That part is not explained, otherwise DFO would have refused fish from this hatchery before?

Anyway, senior DFO do not want more wild (or even hatchery) fish roaming about. Wild fish get in the way of industrial development, are complex, difficult and in their limited view "expensive" to manage. Just as it was deemed "better" in the 19th century to get rid of all the wild buffalo and fence and enclose their habitat for cattle and privatise the entire western plains, DFO want to do exactly that with the ocean.

Much easier to control, regulate, and tax ocean producers if all fish are kept in cages so that they can be "accounted for" and filled with antibiotics, growth hormones, and colouring agents like so many domestic beef cattle.

To bean counters and administrators, managing the environment means simplifying everything by reducing complexity and genetic diversity - the exact opposite of what we need for a healthy environment!!

A healthy wild fish population will take away from big fish farming profits..is that what i am reading here? YUCK! i will never eat one of them yucky orange fish, you couldn't pay me too i often go for sushi and it will be a cold day in hell before i will order farmed salmon giving even one penny to farmed fish....someone needs to dump them in the river at the bottom end of the lake.

I assume this hatchery has been releasing fish before, but in this case it is a new approach to raise them for 18 months in freshwater? That part is not explained, otherwise DFO would have refused fish from this hatchery before?

Those are aquaculture fish from the Omega hatchery.. I guess they do not have room to house them in a pen?
The survival rate is better when you hold them for that long but the problem being is that it is too expensive (food) to do so for the smaller or volunteer run hatcheries

I say this is total BS and DFO needs to be held accountable to provide an answer why they don't want the fish to be released. We need apply public pressure to make sure these fish make it into the ocean!!!!

either that or a good ole fashion chain gang of 5 gallon buckets..dump them in the lake they will find the river..i would be there to help! 3 to 8% survival sounds better then .5 to me DFO needs to make a statement why these fish are not being released because so far all the public is getting for answers is that they don't want them...SAD. Even the news anchors were apalled just having to report such BS!

Why don't they euthanize the DFO? :)

vomiting.gif

Omega has been keeping a pretty low profile if they've been there for 30 years.......

By "aquaculture " fish you mean these fish are started off there for fish farms?

Is this a "one off" for Omega?

Why do they want to give this particular batch away?

What have they been doing with the others for 30 years?

Omega has been keeping a pretty low profile if they've been there for 30 years.......

By "aquaculture " fish you mean these fish are started off there for fish farms?

Yes

Is this a "one off" for Omega?

Possibly who knows? I would think a few might have escaped and made it to the river over the years?

Why do they want to give this particular batch away?

Could be because they don't have a pen to put them in. DFO may not want them in the river because they use their own brood?

What have they been doing with the others for 30 years?

Fish farms ;)

Back