What would you want to ask your MLA?

We're coming up to a provincial election and it's not likely that everyone is going to make it to a town hall meeting.... If I were to show up to the meeting and you couldn't make it, what question would you have me ask?

That's simple. Ask them where they stand on the Enbridge Northern Gateway pipeline. That insane project is the single biggest threat to the fresh and saltwater angling resources of BC in history......with the possible exception of open net pen fish feed lots.

The hearings in front of the JRP have just finished and a total of 1153 people have spoken against the project and only 2 for. This issue is going to be THE issue for the upcoming Provincial election and your MLA better be on the side of the people of BC or he/she is gone. It is as simple as that!

Soooo many questions to ask. From environmental issues, to natural resource concerns, social issues, don't forget about our fishing issues (fish farms, halibut TAC percentages, we want and need political pressure on our behalf),,,

But there is one issue that recently has been weighing on my mind, TAXES!!!!! In today's world, we are taxed at every turn, being a small business owner and a tax paying citizen, I am concerned about both the personal/goods-services taxes, and also the corporate taxes here in this province. I would like to know what the parties plans are for taxes here in our province, how will they live up to their promises/mandates, and still have a balanced budget? Are they just going to raise the taxes? Personally I don't feel that there is room (at least in my budgets) for more taxes. From many conversations with many people over the last couple of years, it feels like the old TAX balloon is ready to burst at any moment, people are just plain sick of having the government reaching into their pockets every time that they "need/want" some more money. It is easy to spend the money when it isn't yours and when every time you reach into the "pockets" you come out with a fist full of money.

As I said above, lots of questions on lots of issues, and really, they are all important.

FH

What gets my goat is why revenue from fishing and hunting licenses go into general revenue when it all should go back into the resource. I would ask what is the justification of this and if this can be changed.

Get the candidate to provide an example of how they have taken a leadership role to drive change from within against the party line/current policy when common sense/science/ or the public opinion clearly ran contrary to the status quo. Show us how they have had the balls to stand up for what is right.

There are always issues and there are always politician ready to bend to public opinion before an election, but if they get elected, the few actually have some balls, some motivation, and leadership to do anything other than follow the sheep.

Coastal fish farms are a proven threat to the sustainability of wild, B.C. salmon. Provincially, the Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations (FLNRO) is responsible for authorizing the occupation of provincial Crown land associated with aquaculture operations. What will the MLA do, if elected, to promote the removal of open net-pen fish feed lots from the coastal waters of B.C. ?

Steelhead, Who is going to have the balls to take responsibility for these fish. Rally a bit to make them the official Provincial fish. If steelhead are taken care of other anadromous species will benefit.

Given the comments above regarding the pipeline it would be worth concentrating on other issues that are important and attainable by those being questioned.

Richard

I do not vote in BC but I would make Gateway an election issue.

I guess people are not very much willing to spend on it. that's why they are not willing to come forward.

I like the concerns and input. Enbridge & the gateway project are most likely going to be hot topics at every meeting across the province. I like the steelhead response. That can't really be swept under the rug easily, and I think it might throw a wrench in many debates, as long as you came with some serious numbers to start off the question. The hunting and fishing license money going into general revenue is another great off beat conservation topic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back