What would you do if you witnessed someone poisoning storm water?

Go.Fish

I was passing by and saw someone on a construction site doing a bad thing. Rinsing fresh concrete from the plumbing of a concrete pump truck directly into a storm manhole. It’s been bothering me ever since. I’ve follwed the storm line to the outfall that leads into a tributary of a fish bearing stream :(

Would you...
Send an email to the company?
Report them to the city?
Report them to the DFO?
Let it be?

Uncured concrete has no place in our storm sewers. There are systems in place on construction sites that are there to treat the high PH concentrations from entering our local waters involving CO2 injection and strict testing to make sure. Surely these guys know they aren’t allowed to do this, anyone in the business know if these guys go through training?

as California said film and report. The fish already have enough problems without those F#%@ tatrds poisoning them .

If you posted on here you should have already reported. reporting has no negative effect that I can think of but huge positive effects. If its legal for the company then nothing happens. (I do not know laws).

HM

The slight issue I have with reporting this to authorities vs. just giving the company a personal warning is that if they get a fine it could be huge, the guy could lose his job, the company could go out of business. They aren’t some huge multinational concrete business. So is it their first offence? Did the operator go through training and does he know that this is poison to fish? I’m just not sure.
Sounds like reporting it is the best option as I do have photos. At the very least they will get a stern warning.

It’s definitely not legal

I realize this is a difficult decision to make for you. On the one hand, the company is definitely breaking the law, but they are not the ones who will pay the price. The employee will. On the other the company will in all likelihood continue with this practice unabated unless you bring the violation to light. You can only report what you have seen, any consequences that are a result of your actions, are out of your control. I can only direct you to this https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/...rcement/conservation-officer-service/cos-rapp

Could be the company/employee are not aware of the consequences of their actions. An email may be all it would take to change their behaviour but a visit from a Conservation Officer would help to drive the message home. Not likely a fine would be levied for the first offence.
Local streamkeeper volunteers and students were painting yellow fish at storm drains awhile back. This was to remind folks that most storm drains flow to fish habitat. Not sure how much of deterent this has been but I think it would be a good idea if there are no yellow fish paintings in your neighborhood.

call the city right away, they all have enviro nerds..., here in coquitlam the fine is around 500.00 and the offender must pay for some vacuum truck services.. it does not kill employees or companies, just teaches a good lesson.

Back