What to look for on used fiberglass hulls?

macro

Hi Guys/Gals,

I'm thinking of getting into a glass boat next.. I've got a welded aluminum 18 footer now that I've rebuilt from the ground up, but want something a little larger. Ideally something I can overnight in, so a small cuddy - but still have a big dance floor. Current boat has a 6x6 area to fish, and I would not want to go smaller.

I'd love the next boat to be a 22 - 24 alloy along the lines of an Almar/north river but thats not in the cards till I retire, and I've probably got 20 years to go... so for now likely a glass boat. Was thinking of a Hourston/or Double eagle, possibly a trophy? Anything else that I should consider, and what do I do to check the glass?

Cheers,

Research your top prospects. Find out about them, trophies for instance pre 1999 have wood stringers and post 1999 changed to a composite stringer system. The so what to that is when looking for boats pre 1999 you would want to ensure there are no soft spots in the floor and have a good inspection of the stringer/transom. My last boat was a 1995 trophy 1802, I really liked it however there were some things about it that I hated (no self bailing deck). I did my research and found it in the states for an incredible price.

As far as double eagle and hourstons, my limited knowledge in this is that the older models are prone to stringers being compromised and the factory foam being waterlogged. With that in my mind you would want to do a thorough inspection prior to purchase to make sure your not investing in a problem boat.

Bottom line, find out a couple of top prospect models/manufacturers and research the crap out of them, then start your hunt.

Prior to purchase pay the couple hundred dollars to have a surveyor check the boat over to ensure the integrity of the hull

Good luck in your search

Suds

Last edited:
My vote: Arima 21 or 22 skip-top. Hard part will be finding one. Hard tops are a bit short.

26 ft hourston like mine as it has a great bed area fridge stove heater and bathroom/shower good size dance floor and mine has composite stringer and double hull so its quiet . and btw no pounding in this beast

26 ft hourston like mine as it has a great bed area fridge stove heater and bathroom/shower good size dance floor and mine has composite stringer and double hull so its quiet . and btw no pounding in this beast

Seldom see one for sale though.

I'd love a big boat but Its a large setup up $$$ wise and I'm not there right now .. its not just the purchase price either, but being able to fuel it when I go out. Right now my boat does > 4 nm/gal, a 22 ish should not be to bad, but I cant imagine powering a big 26 etc.

Cheers,

With that new power plant I go 25 to 28 mph at 10.5 to 11 gals a hour really not bad the duo prop and the direct fuel injection and variable time cam makes for a good set up.
Gas is really one of the cheaper things on the boat. thats what you have buddies for pay for the fuel LOL

Hi Guys/Gals,

I'm thinking of getting into a glass boat next.. I've got a welded aluminum 18 footer now that I've rebuilt from the ground up, but want something a little larger. Ideally something I can overnight in, so a small cuddy - but still have a big dance floor. Current boat has a 6x6 area to fish, and I would not want to go smaller.

I'd love the next boat to be a 22 - 24 alloy along the lines of an Almar/north river but thats not in the cards till I retire, and I've probably got 20 years to go... so for now likely a glass boat. Was thinking of a Hourston/or Double eagle, possibly a trophy? Anything else that I should consider, and what do I do to check the glass?

Cheers,
Roth, rotten transom and floors and stringer, very common in FG boats, i looked at 20 plus boats before i found mine, all of them add rotten sections, the one i found had been all re and re, transom and stringer to accomodate a pod set up, but i spend lots of $ and time before i pulled the trigger. Been working with lumber for 30 plus years and the smell of rotting wood is a given, some boats i took one sniff and that was it, guys face was funny when they ask whats wrong, and i said your boat for sale is rotting lol

I have a 26' Hourston hull too built in 2002. Things to look for are gel coat cracks and stress marks. This boat is as solid as they come with a great hull that I can have on plane at very low rpms with the Volvo 320 hp dp. That being said if I had the chance this boat would have an outboard as Hourston sat the lump pretty damn low to the deck making it a pita to work on some parts.

I know there is at least one 26' Island Runner that was built with an outboard pod and I would sure like to track that one down.

A smaller Grady or pursuit might work well for you too.

If I was in your shoes I would be looking for a Grady White Gulfstream 232. 23’ long with an above average 9’3” beam gives it a spacious cuddly and big dance floor for its size, and its a proven hull when the weather turns.

Another bonus is that the model has been around for a while and Grady has made lots of them, so relatively easy to find one used, and at different price points. Look in the States for greater selection - Craigslists down the west coast and thehulltruth.com buy and sell, there is usually one or two posted on there. Since I’m spending your money, I’d be looking for one with single main motor, instead of twins (more fuel efficient), and add a kicker!

Grady makes a solid boat and there is lots of info on what to keep an eye out for. Biggest issue seems to be soft transoms in the older models.

I'd like to be close to 10 for a tandem trailer, decent hull and still working 4 stroke. But I know thats a lot to ask for the size. I have a kicker/ more electronics than you can shake a stick at, and all the accessories that go along with it.

I bought my last boat out of california, and I agree - there are deals to be had down there, but its hard - 30 cents on the dollar for exchange. Tax - And now an import tariff of 10 percent. Boats almost double in price by the time you get them up here!

I'd like to be close to 10 for a tandem trailer, decent hull and still working 4 stroke. But I know thats a lot to ask for the size. I have a kicker/ more electronics than you can shake a stick at, and all the accessories that go along with it.

OK. Now we know how to better help you.

Even though your request of a tandem trailer, decent hull and working 4 stroke are reasonable, not sure you are going to get anything close to a 22' boat for $10k.:(:(:(

Don’t do it. If 10k is your budget. Get a 17’er. It will be reliable and functional. I wouldn’t look at anyone in the 21’ and up range unless you have $25k or more to spend.

Don’t do it. If 10k is your budget. Get a 17’er. It will be reliable and functional. I wouldn’t look at anyone in the 21’ and up range unless you have $25k or more to spend.

Stizzla, the OP already has an 18' aluminum. His goal is to get bigger.

I agree though that the initial budget will end up with a boat that has a high likelihood of being a future nightmare.

IMG_2031_edited.jpg IMG_2031_edited.jpg I have a 22 K&C I am going to sell soon as I also have an 18 Hourston. Need to go down to 1 boat. Its not exactly what you are looking for but it has a 2006 Merc EFI 250 with 1214 hours (smartguage), a suzuki 9.9 kicker with new carb installed by Peter at Sooke Marine. The boat is solid with a NW aluminum pod but the interior needs updating, front windows should be redone soon, and the trailer needs fenders and brakes.

Want to get $8K for it recognizing it needs some TLC

Attachments

• Boat 2.jpg
    Boat 2.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 89
  • Boat 3.jpg
    Boat 3.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 91
  • Boat 4.jpg
    Boat 4.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 86
  • Boat5.jpg