What to do something re. Salmon Virus & Fish Farm Impacts?

Whole in the Water

Here is a letter I modified with some good info from the Farmed and Dangerous website http://www.farmedanddangerous.org/

I strongly urge as many of us as possible to write a letter. Please feel free to use this letter as as, or modify it or write your own letter. It take like 5 mins to do - our salmon are worth it!

What we need to show to the DFO and the govt. is the growing number of people that are really pissed off as to what is happening to are salmon in this coast! The more letters they get, the more they realize they need to change. Look how the stink raised on the North Island ending up getting Harper to visit the area in the last election. Don't worry about the type of reply you get, as it is the number of letters that counts. It does have an impact!

At the bottom I have provided links to both the Fed MP's and Provincial MLA's list. At the very least please send at least one email or letter (letter best) to Keith Ashfield (DFO Minister), Stephen Harper, Fin Donnelly (Opposition Fisheries Critic), Premier Christy Clark, and your local MP, MLA.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Add Date)

Keith Ashfield, Minister of Fisheries and Oceans
House of Commons
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 0A6

Dear Mr. Ashfield:

I am writing concerning the very serious negative impacts of salmon farms on the health of wild salmon and ocean ecosystems in BC. As the Minister of the Department of Fisheries and Oceans (DFO) I would like to know what your position is on these issues, as well as what actions you and your department are taking to address the many serious problems on this topic?

We cannot wait any longer to address the globally recognized impacts of open net-cage salmon farming such as sea lice, escapes, pollution from chemicals and waste, and the potentially disastrous spread of the deadly salmon ISA virus, etc. We need to move forward with solutions now before serious problems further negatively impact wild salmon and the ecosystems, people and communities that depend on them for environment, economic and social well being!

I would like to be informed of your position on this issue, as well as your plan to:

1. Protect wild juvenile salmon by closing net-cage farms located along important migration routes like the Wild Salmon Narrows in the Northern Georgia Strait.
2. Transition net-cage salmon farms to closed containment systems that better protect wild fish and marine ecosystems from the farms as quickly as possible.

I believe that the salmon farming industry, government and conservationists can work together to alleviate the problems of open net-cage salmon farming in a way that provides BC with a sustainable aquaculture infrastructure and long-term economic opportunities for our communities through the creation of green jobs.

In regards to the potentially spread of the deadly Salmon ISA virus the DFO must develop immediately an action plan from in response to the reported discovery of a deadly salmon disease in BC waters. This action plan should contain the following elements.

1. DFO must immediately convene a workshop of international experts and develop a transparent, public plan to address this threat.
2. In cooperation and collaboration with the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), DFO must immediately initiate comprehensive, independently-audited testing of wild salmon, farmed salmon, herring and pilchard in BC to determine the extent of the disease. Results should be verified by the OIE reference laboratory at the Atlantic Veterinary College in P.E.I.
3. Conduct the testing necessary to track the source of the disease.
4. Immediately cull all farmed fish in any farm site where fish test positive for ISAv.
5. Fast-track the development of closed containment systems for salmon aquaculture and present a firm, expedited timeline for phasing out all open net-cage operations.

I look forward to hearing about your actions on this matter.

Sincerely,

(Add your name and address to show it is a real person)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mailto:keith.ashfield@parl.gc.ca - Keith Ashfield, DFO Minister
mailto:stephen.harper@parl.gc.ca - Stephen Harper, Prime Minister
mailto:fin.donnelly@parl.gc.ca - Fin Donnelly, Opposition Fisheries Critic

mailto:premier@gov.bc.ca - Premier Christy Clark
http://parl.gc.ca/MembersOfParliament/MainMPsCompleteList.aspx?TimePeriod=Current&Language=E - Federal MP Contact List
http://www.leg.bc.ca/mla/3-1-1.htm - BC MLA Contact List

Last edited by a moderator:
Back