What species of trout is this?

Brandon Lewis

Caught this today, not exactly sure what it is. Sea-run cutthroat? Cutbow?

Attachments

• 9F4D619C-8009-485A-BC58-1C093F6F394A.png
    9F4D619C-8009-485A-BC58-1C093F6F394A.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 266
  • 964AEF51-DDCE-4862-A1F3-31C526996F7F.png
    964AEF51-DDCE-4862-A1F3-31C526996F7F.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 272
First, killing something w/o knowing what it is and thus the regs is poor ethics. To answer your question, that is a cutthroat trout, sub-species is “coastal” or “sea-run”.

Cheers!

Ukee

First, killing something w/o knowing what it is and thus the regs is poor ethics. To answer your question, that is a cutthroat trout, sub-species is “coastal” or “sea-run”.

Cheers!

Ukee
I didn’t kill it. The fish was fine. I took a couple pictures and released it immediately. Thanks!

Certainly doesn’t look “fine” lying on top of your tackle box with glazed eyes. Always best to keep fish you’re not keeping in the water, with a quick lift for a photo. Suggest you check out the “KeepEm Wet” website for info and pointers:

https://www.keepemwet.org/

Cheers!

Ukee

1st - you killed a fish without knowing what it was.

2nd - a 6 year old could identify a cutthroat - hint it has orange/red under the jaw.

3rd - it's dead. Fish eye points down when still alive and out of water. That fish is dead as dead can be.

4th - you're lying about it being dead,

Would have to agree on the summary judgement from Ukee and Rum, Brandon. That fish has that far-away look in his eyes, and even if you meant to release him, sitting on an open tackle box is not what you would call therapeutic for any fish that's going to be put back in the water.

It's a cutthroat trout, yes, and if you got him in a river it's probably an anadromous (sea-run) cuthroat

1st - you killed a fish without knowing what it was.

2nd - a 6 year old could identify a cutthroat - hint it has orange/red under the jaw.

3rd - it's dead. Fish eye points down when still alive and out of water. That fish is dead as dead can be.

4th - you're lying about it being dead,
I knew it was a cuttroat, “sea-run cutthroat, cutbow?”. I was not sure if it was a sea-run, or some kind of hybrid. “Subspecies” is the word I was looking for. The fish swam away fine when I released it. I am (obviously) new to fishing so I appreciate the link, Ukee. I will be much more careful and diligent in the future. Thanks guys.

I knew it was a cuttroat, “sea-run cutthroat, cutbow?”. I was not sure if it was a sea-run, or some kind of hybrid. “Subspecies” is the word I was looking for. The fish swam away fine when I released it. I am (obviously) new to fishing so I appreciate the link, Ukee. I will be much more careful and diligent in the future. Thanks guys.
Way to take it man lol.

I have fished many rivers, lakes and agree that that fish is dead or will die when released.

If you are releasing fish then it should have never come out of the water, barbless hooks can easily be removed while the fish is in the water, if you were going to take a quick picture then for that brief moment pull the fish out of the water take the pic and immediately return the fish back. Letting it lay on you tackle box gasping for air while you took the pictures....

Keep The fish in the water till you have your camera ready, then take a pic and release the fish .

By the way fish don’t swim away upside down when you release them if they are alive..

Last edited:
Lol....Devmah....you use gloves for handling steelhead as well?

Actually Yes for all fish... some of them can be super slippery to hold when removing the hook....expecially when they get coloured and slimy....

Don’t tell anyone....shhh... the real reason is my wife likes my soft hands....lol...

Dev

I have fished many rivers, lakes and agree that that fish is dead or will die when released.

If you are releasing fish then it should have never come out of the water, barbless hooks can easily be removed while the fish is in the water, if you were going to take a quick picture then for that brief moment pull the fish out of the water take the pic and immediately return the fish back. Letting it lay on you tackle box gasping for air while you took the pictures....

Keep The fish in the water till you have your camera ready, then take a pic and release the fish . ( note the water is still dripping off the fish in the picture) .

By the way fish don’t swim away upside down when you release them if they are alive..
No one has yet to post anything like the information you have provided. Thanks, bruv.

The “keep em wet” link provided to you has all that info and far more. Ultimately, it’s up to the individual if they want to inform themselves with all the available resources out there so they can participate in our fisheries ethically, or not.

Cheers!

Ukee

The “keep em wet” link provided to you has all that info and far more. Ultimately, it’s up to the individual if they want to inform themselves with all the available resources out there so they can participate in our fisheries ethically, or not.

Cheers!

Ukee
I know, Ukee. Thanks again. My reply to Devmah was an attempt at sarcasm.

Geez guys,, your like a bunch of wolves on a carcass, the guy said he was new to fishing, he made a handling mistake, he was given proper advice the first time let him come up for air already.

Nice fish by the way Brandon.

hard to pass judgement with dirty hands or gloves for that matter. offering helpful
advice while engadging in ones enthusiasm allows for a greater understanding and empathy . Nice fish
BL all things considered.

hard to pass judgement with dirty hands or gloves for that matter. offering helpful
advice while engadging in ones enthusiasm allows for a greater understanding and empathy . Nice fish
BL all things considered.

Guys

FYI
The Gloves I use have a latex rubberized palm finger less, they are made so the slime on the fish is not removed. They are made for fishing and releasing your catch. My hands hold the fish with the gloves on underwater until the picture is taken. Both the gloves and the fish remain wet.

https://www.takemefishing.org/how-to-fish/how-to-catch-fish/how-to-release-a-fish/

Sorry I did not realize that the question WhiteBuck was asking with respect to gloves . Majority of the fish I catch I don’t even handle I just remove the hook while the fish is in the water with my bare fingers or pliers if need be.

Dev

Last edited:
Never the less. gloves not unlike tail ropes
are no longer considered acceptable and offer no bennificial aid unless the species is an exso like sharks
or sturgeon . even then rubber only.
otherwise. rinse your hands and keep em
wet...

Last edited:
Back