What size fishfinder?

Ringo

Crew Member
I’m planning to upgrade my fishfinder to the largest screen size that I can possibly fit on my dash. My Campion 542 came with a HDS 5 Gen 1 that’s doing an Ok job for marking fish but I’m finding the screen size too small for my liking. It sucks to get old, I know! :cool:

While I could live with a HDS 7, it’d be nice to have a 9” screen that I can use for combo pages.
What’s the largest screen that I can fit on my dash without making custom changes to the panel?

Attachments

• BE10C8EE-8F55-4358-A5A6-B5910A05930B.jpeg
    BE10C8EE-8F55-4358-A5A6-B5910A05930B.jpeg
    181.3 KB · Views: 83
I’m planning to upgrade my fishfinder to the largest screen size that I can possibly fit on my dash. My Campion 542 came with a HDS 5 Gen 1 that’s doing an Ok job for marking fish but I’m finding the screen size too small for my liking. It sucks to get old, I know! :cool:

While I could live with a HDS 7, it’d be nice to have a 9” screen that I can use for combo pages.
What’s the largest screen that I can fit on my dash without making custom changes to the panel?
Is there room for another screen beside? I have a 7” sounder and a 7” plotter and it’s luxurious!

I like your idea but I already have enough distractions on the boat. :D
Keeping it simple may help with my landing ratio....

I like your idea but I already have enough distractions on the boat. :D
Keeping it simple may help with my landing ratio....
r
Redundancy is good to have. I used to have one screen and found out the hard way off shore 7 miles what happens when one unit fails on you in the fog. It was a nightmare because I rarely navigate using compass anymore. I didn't want to repeat that experience so I went with two 7 inch Garmin screens. I'm now thinking about adding a 3rd screen larger 9-10 inch specifically as a sounder. I really like the look of Simrad products. This ones too small for my purposes but the price is right.

https://www.radioworld.ca/sim-go7xse-downscan

Is there room for another screen beside? I have a 7” sounder and a 7” plotter and it’s luxurious!

I would say it’s probably no more screen than a 10” screen size and definitely less than a 12” screen it’s just nice to have both functions in widescreen. I keep them right next to each other.

stizz ff.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say it’s probably no more screen than a 10” screen size and definitely less than a 12” screen it’s just nice to have both functions in widescreen. I keep them right next to each other.

View attachment 42275
I now have two 12" no big deal :cool:
Now to learn how to use them lol.

Is that my new chicken logo? Or wait, is that a reminder to cook you guys some damn chicken?
Actually, both! :D
And yes, I know Jan 7 is still a few days out but more you talk about your new toy and gadgets, it just makes us hungrier.

Thanks, guys.
@Stizzla - Is that the base of your compass unit at the far left side of the picture?
I'm going to look at larger screens and see if I can fit two head units on my dash. Possibly, move the compass a bit toward the port side as I still use it for validating my charts. I'm also teaching my teenage son how to use use a compass for chart plotting and he's quiet enjoying it. So, need to do some "space planning" if I end up keeping all three items on the dash ;)

Me thinking to have a HDS 9-10" mainly for sonar. My HDS 5 has a 200-50 transducer and I think I'm going to stick with a similar combo for the new unit.
Budget wise, I'd like to keep it close to a thousand-ish, if I can. Going to check if there are any deals in the boat show next month. If you guys have any leads on a used HDS 9-10 unit, I'd be interested to know about 'em.

Last edited:
I'm running a garmin7408 on the dash and it great I would not go any smaller and i usually run split screen. For redundancy I run navionocs on my phone before j push off, always. Seems to work ok so far and I'm also keep full set of charts on the boat. I'd be pretty screwed if I had to nav by compass but I test my lousy skills at the start of each season just in case.

Put that 5 inch Gen1 at that back and get another Lowrance HDS series, then you can network them through E-net. If it fails offshore you can just unplug the 5inch and bring it to the front in a pinch, the connectors are all common. That's what i did. As a bonus you will have a closer screen to you when you are on the dance floor. I have a Gen3 7" at the front. 9" was another 650$. I can do a lot of other things with 650$.

Sold our 542 and looked through all my pics and this is the best I could find.. the HDS 9 is the biggest single size screen you can fit in there. The pic may be deceiving but there is almost no room between the sounder/glass. The older 10” units are too thick and tall for the space as well.

Can’t seem to upload pics anymore. Not sure if it’s due to file size restrictions or what’s going on, even when I screen shot the originals they don’t upload. PM me and I can send them via text or email.

Bucket.

Thanks, guys.
@Stizzla - Is that the base of your compass unit at the far left side of the picture?
I'm going to look at larger screens and see if I can fit two head units on my dash. Possibly, move the compass a bit toward the port side as I still use it for validating my charts. I'm also teaching my teenage son how to use use a compass for chart plotting and he's quiet enjoying it. So, need to do some "space planning" if I end up keeping all three items on the dash ;)

Me thinking to have a HDS 9-10" mainly for sonar. My HDS 5 has a 200-50 transducer and I think I'm going to stick with a similar combo for the new unit.
Budget wise, I'd like to keep it close to a thousand-ish, if I can. Going to check if there are any deals in the boat show next month. If you guys have any leads on a used HDS 9-10 unit, I'd be interested to know about 'em.
On the left is a suction bracket for my iPhone. Play my tunes from it.

My 19' boat came with an HDS 5, which seemed fine to me. But last year I added a Dragonfly 7" & it is downright deluxe by comparison.
I have the 5" at the steering station in split screen & the 7 is dedicated in fish finder mode on the port side.
I would prefer a two 7" units, but wouldn't want to go much bigger. For now, I'm more than happy with what I have.

Back