What is it with all these ads?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's the size of the ads more than anything. It's a sudden change that is far more intrusive compared to the previous forum. The site has to make money, but probably should have managed that change a bit more carefully. Looks like some tweaks have already been done to dial them down a bit. Lesson learned for the site admin I guess. At least they are not the pop-over type, or the kind that suddenly expand as you read, shifting everything on the page. Those are super annoying!

It's interesting now that I only see adds off my PC using Chrome some of the time. They seem to appear when I land on the forum's home page when I first arrive but as soon as I click anything like "New Posts" they don't appear but there is a large space where one would be as per the above image.

Man let me pay the $60 to get rid of these things.
I think many forums use these ads for guests, not members. The benefit of signing up for an account is that you get rid of the gigantic google driven ads. There will still be there forum sponsor ads for members but not the ones that take over the entire forum. If you pay for a membership, you should have the same small forum sponsor ads but maybe some added features.

no member should be shown gigantic Qatar air advertisements. Save those for the guests or computer trolls.

Attachments

• 89BD37A8-E6A3-44B9-BB24-2408AAE5144D.png
    89BD37A8-E6A3-44B9-BB24-2408AAE5144D.png
    630.8 KB · Views: 4
Phew what a relief no ads has been for crew members, wasn’t sure how much longer I could stand it!
Thanks guys

As indicated by @Tugcapitan, we have resolved the process for upgrading your account to Crew Member. For those of you that have been patiently waiting, here is the link to the upgrade page. Thanks for your patience!

I did not think the ads were bad until I did a search on my phone for Oakley.
The Oakley ads are now completely overwhelming.
Turns me off the forum and Oakley!

How come all my ads are either adult-oriented or about DIY baseboards, painting etc? ;) Actually I see very few.

Its out of control. I barely visit this site now. I belong to a few other groups and its just a lot easier to navigate. I spend most of my 'forum' time there now. Funny how the PM I got said that the Forums were going to be so much better after the upgrade.... I'm wondering for who?

We left this open to allow people to have their say. Forum's are interesting, in that, the people who frequent them tend to get invested in a way that feels like they are part of a community and change can upset some members of that community. We don't expect to please everyone with every decision we make, but we also don't feel like we need to justify monetizing the site. Just like most of you in your career or business, you are allowed to make your own decisions without having to justify it on a regular basis to your consumers. People come and go here just like they do in other situations where they consume products or services. We understand if this is too much for you here, but we have built a great community, work hard to keep the platform current and meeting the demands of new technology, and provide a place where people can share their fishing experiences in a respectful and considerate environment.
We have offered an alternative to seeing ads by joining our Crew Member program at the reasonable cost of .17 cents per day. If you decide to move away from this forum, we bid you adieu and thank you for your time and contributions to the forum during your time spent with us. For the rest of you, we look forward to sharing in your fishing adventures for years to come. If you wish to upgrade your membership you can do so here.

Brian

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back