What is an easy way to cut salmon skin (for making strips of candy)

Olde School

Hello, everyone.

I have just put my first batch of candy in the Bradley - can't wait!

In the past I have tried making candy with and without the skin on.
The family prefers the skin on as it gives them something to hold onto while eating it.
I prefer the skin on since it is easier to pull off the racks (which I double spray with BBQ Pam prior to placing the salmon strips on them).

Cutting the strips is a royal pain in the tuches.
I have tried kitchen shears and sharp knives but both are a lot of work.
***** Do you have an easy way of cutting the strips up? *****

I have a few batches still to go this year and a better way would be great!

Thanks.

Smiley.

You need a seriously sharp knife-like this

[5uo5y8dq6_c] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uo5y8dq6_c&feature=player_embedded

Last edited by a moderator:
A real good sharp 10 inch chef knife a quality one that is heavy will slice it like butter bring me some smoked salmon and ill slice it for you LOL LOL.

wolf

A small table top band saw used only for food. Cut it frozen and fast, your smoker will not be able to keep up.

Band saw would do it like a mother... A super sharp knife would be #2

If all else fails and it is scaled.. A sharper serrated knife works well too. If it isn't scaled they will be everywhere.

LOL yup. IF you use a knife I like to make an inch or two thick of cardboard I find it cuts the skin on an angle very nice instead of strait .I havn't done this for some time as a band saw it is.

Hey dogbreath - are you trying to help me cut my fingers off - YIKES!
Wolf, will try the chef's knife idea since already have one (why have I been using my fillet knives???)
CCB no bandsaws around here

p.s. first batch (of this season) is good, but will use a bit less salt and a bit less smoke for the next batch

I just thought of using an Olfa utility knife, if its dull then just snap off a section and presto, new cutting tip. I'll try it and let you know how it works.

Thanks for the offer, Roy, but I am mid-island. Will check out your site.

Have tried the utility knife idea already but it seems the knife needs to not be so pointy at the end - try it and see what I mean.

Smiley.

BTW skinning is not a problem, it is cutting the salmon into strips for smoking into candy that is a pain

I always do like a three finger thing. Fillet, debone, cut it into chunks about 4-5 inchs wide. I score down to skin in the chunks then lift the fillet and get the cut started sort of at the top like your cutting a piece of paper with a knife, that cuts the skin, then score into 3 'fingers' not cutting threw skin so easy to handle on the racks. But seriously our knives should be sharp enough we dont have to do this. I might try that technique but use scissors for the finally slice if the skin.

I cut the fillet into 4 to 5 inch sections-whatever length I want the candy, Then I skin each section, cut strips about 1/3 to 1/2 inch wide-leave out the strip with the pin bones -remove all the skin fat. If the fish is left for 3-4 days in the sugar/salt mixture it will be cured,translucent and will not stick to an oiled rack. Then it takes only 2-3 hours of smoke at a very low temp(110-130 F) depending on how hard you want it. Tail sections always turn out harder because of the muscle involved

Spring Fever, after you have smoked it for 2-3 hours at low heat, is the fish ready to eat or do you crank up the temperature to finish it off? Also, do you allow the fish to dry after taking it out of the brine? Thanks

In order yes-I put a fan on the fish after it is out of the brine for about 2 hrs to really set it up-I then wipe all my racks with oil-you could use Pam. On the smoking side-If the truth be known the fish has been in the sugar salt mixture for 3 to 4 days (1kg demarara sugar to 5/8 cup sea salt)- it is cured and edible right then-It is translucent and tender but firm. The smoke adds flavour and starts drying it a bit more. I also spray mine with a sugar/scotch or rum .mixture which also dries on the candy! The more you smoke the harder it gets. I don't like mine like jerky but believe me it is cooked and I get rave reviews on it but like anything good it takes time. By the way that sugar salt mixture will handle 2 springs in the 15ib range

5/8 is just a little over 1/2 a cup so that little for 30 lbs of fish!? and one bag of sugar. I wouldnt think that could cure something. How are you storing it and for how long?

Vacuum pack and freeze. The candy stays good in the fridge for around 2 weeks-I don't know for sure because I've never managed to keep any longer. Don't forget-that is dry packed in the sugar salt mixture-the fish are 15lb springs whole weight- not fillet weight and if you have done your Indian candy correctly there is a lot of waste before it gets put in the mixture-ie. no skin,no fat, no pinbones no fins etc and nothing questionable (blood shot). I also put in a teaspoon of sodium nitrate(prague powder). You just make sure everything is covered once it has turned into brine and make sure there is no sugar salt mixture undissolved at the bottom of the briner which does require turning and mixing everyday to get a uniform product.You can add more salt up to 1 cup to 1 kg demerrera but I find it too salty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Haven't had Nogs but I can tell you Spring Fevers Candy is pretty skookum!

SS

5/8 is just a little over 1/2 a cup so that little for 30 lbs of fish!? and one bag of sugar. I wouldnt think that could cure something. How are you storing it and for how long?

I use 2 cups brown sugar to 1/8 cup pickling salt..
Like SF said it takes very little salt.
I dehydrate at 140 F for about 3-4 hours then cold smoke

ohh interesting! dehydrating..I have to get a bradley or figure out a homemade cold smoke system.

recipes are so different I know sugar is a preservative and salt the cure. I thought you would have to have a certain amount of salt. Some recipes have soo much. I wonder how people can eat it. Mabey I have been using to much dry brine. Thanks!

Back