What do you folks think about this boat design?

Sculp, this is a nice deep hull design with a walk around format. I think fishrite makes a decent boat. I am not sure if you would want something that long.

http://armstrongmarine.com/p-7775-used-boats.html

That is around the size I want to build. I don't want to pay that price though lol. I like the natural aluminum look with out paint (paint costs money and scratches). Thanks for the link. I can get some good idea's from that boat.

I praise you for this project notion. But make it a reality, with your knowledge it can come true
I'd even bring over my tig machine to assist, *** the wire feed Eh!!

Lets label it as a Hull raising party.............Just for the hull of it

Len

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Sculpin, I have mine on the trailer for another 3 weeks if you want to come down and take some measurements and pics .

I've had my fair share of boats and as a straight up fishing boat in my opinion there isn't one better !!

I have a 150 gallon tank that runs from midship to 18 inches from the back , it's set up perfect and I get my best ride when she's full and my Cruz and top speed aren't really affected weather half tank or full tank . All my regular guests like it far more than the 27 ft sailfish I had before and I think it actually rides better as well .

Hi Sculpin,

Just to let you know that Aegir 2, the newest boat that we have, will be down at the Boat and Fishing show at Pearkes Rec Centre this upcomming weekend. It will not be completely finished, no windows, power, or wiring in the hull. Most of the aluminum work will be done in the cab, except for the seat boxes and pedestal mounts. You will be able to see the frame and fuel tank mounting areas though. The boat builders will be there all weekend, although I will only be there on Friday and Sunday. If you are able to stop by, would be a pleasure to meet you. Take care and hope to see you there.

Regards,

Fishyboy

Hi Sculpin,

Just to let you know that Aegir 2, the newest boat that we have, will be down at the Boat and Fishing show at Pearkes Rec Centre this upcomming weekend. It will not be completely finished, no windows, power, or wiring in the hull. Most of the aluminum work will be done in the cab, except for the seat boxes and pedestal mounts. You will be able to see the frame and fuel tank mounting areas though. The boat builders will be there all weekend, although I will only be there on Friday and Sunday. If you are able to stop by, would be a pleasure to meet you. Take care and hope to see you there.

Regards,

Fishyboy

That sounds good. I will try to come down Friday afternoon. Thanks.

Hi Sculpin, I followed your build on your present boat, great job, I'm a huge fan of aluminum, not so much the walk around. I've had 2 walk arounds, both of which i chartered out of Sewell's marina in Horseshoe Bay, west vancouver. the 1 st was a 21' campion fishing machine bought new at the 1986 boat show, the 2nd was a 24' abd alum. w/ twin 140 evinrudes, 160 gallon baffled fuel tank mounted under and aft of the cabin. both these boats were used mostly for fishing and chartering, my wife and I did go away numerous times and did many over niters. I can honestly say for the amount of times i used the walk around while fishing, i would choose more cabin space in a heart beat, the cockpit was plenty big enough, mind you i haven't been tuna fishing so no experience there. abd only built 2 of these boats, the original was built for the Haidas as a patrol boat, and the 2nd one built on spec to sell. I'll try and attach a couple of pics, sure wish i'd never sold it. currently have an 18' armstrong center console which i trailer and fish anywhere in.
View attachment 6165H]

Attachments

• 24' alum boat.jpg
    24' alum boat.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 166
  • 24' alum  cockpit.jpg
    24' alum cockpit.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 227
Hi Sculpin, I followed your build on your present boat, great job, I'm a huge fan of aluminum, not so much the walk around. I've had 2 walk arounds, both of which i chartered out of Sewell's marina in Horseshoe Bay, west vancouver. the 1 st was a 21' campion fishing machine bought new at the 1986 boat show, the 2nd was a 24' abd alum. w/ twin 140 evinrudes, 160 gallon baffled fuel tank mounted under and aft of the cabin. both these boats were used mostly for fishing and chartering, my wife and I did go away numerous times and did many over niters. I can honestly say for the amount of times i used the walk around while fishing, i would choose more cabin space in a heart beat, the cockpit was plenty big enough, mind you i haven't been tuna fishing so no experience there. abd only built 2 of these boats, the original was built for the Haidas as a patrol boat, and the 2nd one built on spec to sell. I'll try and attach a couple of pics, sure wish i'd never sold it. currently have an 18' armstrong center console which i trailer and fish anywhere in.
View attachment 6165H]

I like that Catch21 nicnat. It looks like a bigger version of my old Cope 16.5 fter. Thanks for posting. This is still a dream but I will do something in the next couple of years. Something could change within that time and I may go full cabin. Who knows. I am always tossing stuff back and forth. Like everyone say's there is no perfect boat.

Anyway I am going to head down to Vic on Friday afternoon to check out one of fishyboy99's boats at the show. Hopefully I can check out banana's rig in the same trip. PM coming Trev:)

Last edited by a moderator:
That sounds good. I will try to come down Friday afternoon. Thanks.

Saw this boat today at the boat show, what a tank! 10'6 wide, talked with the builder, seems like a really nice guy, he is located in comox aegir boats is the company name.

Saw this boat today at the boat show, what a tank! 10'6 wide, talked with the builder, seems like a really nice guy, he is located in comox aegir boats is the company name.

I went down and checked her out. Spent about 1.5 hours talking to John. He is a really nice guy and showed me every square inch of her. He told me about the build sequence and said if I had any more questions he would be happy to help me out.

http://www.aegirboats.com/

Some good pic's in the gallery on his site.

John,

Did you happen to ask John how many hours he had into her? I was impressed by the quality of only his second build. Seems like a good guy.

John,

Did you happen to ask John how many hours he had into her? I was impressed by the quality of only his second build. Seems like a good guy.

A lot less than it would take me lol. I thought he said something like a month and a half for two guy's. Not sure though. I had to soak in a lot of information in a short time.

I do realize now the waste of space with a true walk around design like this. John did mention there was talk of step up walk around that would have a full cuddy similar to this Specmar design.

http://www.specmar.com/adobe/966views.pdf

Here are some shots I took of her while down there.

Just look at the difference in design compared to the TJ Offshore sitting next to her.

IMG_3992_zpsfbfe6ab4.jpg

Some more views.

IMG_3991_zpsbe131af1.jpg

IMG_3985_zpse42d3144.jpg

IMG_3986_zps1b7a33e6.jpg

IMG_3987_zps916bf370.jpg

watching the Oregon Tuna Classic (2010) earlier and a Duckworth commercial came on with there 'Offshore' 'tuna' boat. Had this niffty rod storage. Panel/floor lifts up in the middle of cabin. Nice out of the way dry storage. They said they were the only ones who had it. Not sure if the commercial was new or old, looked very handy if you plan ahead and have the room.

watching the Oregon Tuna Classic (2010) earlier and a Duckworth commercial came on with there 'Offshore' 'tuna' boat. Had this niffty rod storage. Panel/floor lifts up in the middle of cabin. Nice out of the way dry storage. They said they were the only ones who had it. Not sure if the commercial was new or old, looked very handy if you plan ahead and have the room.

I've seen that feature on the Duckworths. Pretty cool feature with the air piston assisted hatch. You could probably do something similar with this one as there is more than enough room. Mind you the fuel tank takes up part of this space but you could make it work.

IMG_3974_zps7742f177.jpg

Back