What do you folks think about this boat design?

Ok, here's a beauty for 100k less....

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/3582875502.html

3F83N53Hd5Ld5Fa5Jbd1u02156b6f338e1cfa.jpg

I still like the design you have going much better. I just like all these sweet alloys....and who knows what designs could be R&D'eed

I still like the design you have going much better. I just like all these sweet alloys....and who knows what designs could be R&D'eed

I've seen them all buddy. I search the net as well as anyone lol. I am a metal head and know what is out there. Research, research, research.

This one is interesting and keeps falling in price. I think I told you about it during our drive.

http://alaskaboatbrokers.com/listings_detail.php?id=130

The thing about building one is obviously the satisfaction and almost free labour (I know my time is worth something bla bla bla) but also knowing that everything is new. The wiring is a big one on any vessel. Also to have it built exactly how you want it is a major bonus and to know every nook and cranny before even going out on the sea trials lifts any of the "what if's".

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow that's big! will you have to put a wide load sign on your bumper when trailering? I think you could get a little more cabin width with a beam like that. I woul keep the top of the gunnel narrow in the midship you really don't need a ton of width on the top of the gunnel when you have a walk around.

Yes I will have to go through the hoops trailering but no big deal really. I might have to re gear my old ford with lower gears. I'm sure the old 460 will tow it no problem. I will build my own custom trailer to suit and that will be a pain as well lol. Electric over hydraulic brakes and the works. It will be cool though to build everything.

I think the width of the gunnel is factored into the design of the side stiffness on a vessel of this size but I will consult with the designer about that.

Will you have moorage for the boat or will it live on the trailer? You will be able to put your large coolers in the bow of the boat that will help offset some of the fuel weight in the aft. I have a large kill bag I use and it works pretty well also!

Will you have moorage for the boat or will it live on the trailer? You will be able to put your large coolers in the bow of the boat that will help offset some of the fuel weight in the aft. I have a large kill bag I use and it works pretty well also!

I may moor it at Toquart or Ukee. I may just leave it on the trailer depending on how much of a pain the butt that is lol. I know it's a big boat but really after all these years researching boats and looking at them etc. she isn't all that big in the big picture of boats. I have come to that conclusion.

I will have my half tote on the middle of the dance floor full of ice. I will then have two kill bags that I can put along side the cabin if need be to start then fill the tote as needed. I don't get the in floor fish holds for recreational purposes. Even with albacore fishing I would rather just fill some kill bags and lift them off etc. and then empty my 1/2 tote into take home coolers. I can forgo the below deck boxes that need insulating, pumps, and additional holes in the hull to deal with all the blood and ice etc. Pain in the azz IMHO.

This looks like you current boat
814d96d30303892c772b757427da3310.jpg

Yup, that's another one of the approx. 6 ever built by Ed. Mine was the first apparently.

I misunderstood your comments about weight distribution and I see now you were referring to the fuel tanks being so far back. This is something I will have to discuss and look into for stability and performance. I know my buddy goatram has his fuel tanks pretty much centered in the boat he is building right now.

My fuel tanks on my boat are mounted center in each sponson. I think keeping the weight low and centred is the ticket!

So what's a comfortable gap between a real walk around cabin and the gunnel?

What are the disadvantages to having the weight of the fuel tanks behind the cabin?

Is 300 h.p. going to be enough for a 30' x 10'6" boat?

It all depends on the deadrise for the amout of power your going to need! With that rear weight aft will help water shed off your deck well and it should ride great! 2 foot walkways would be sweet!

My cabin has about 12in of walk-around space on both sides and combined with 24in handrails/roof rails makes it for easy access to the bow.

Would've made more sense to me to have the cabin wider by a couple of feet and have a windshield walk through or a 24x24 hatch.

cheers

There is no perfect boat. No boat does everything. For every gain you get you sacrifice somewhere else. It is possible to find the perfect boat for yourself but this to is a fine balance. The more cash u have the more forgiveness you get.
I find myself that walk arounds are real space waister. I do have an open bow with a walk through window. This with a far forward cabin I find highly efficient space wise. It's rougher to ride but air ride seats help. I guess when u are getting up to 30 feet you can afford to waist space and I find that the large boats exploit the available space they have.
I love the open bow. Big space saver in my eyes and very enjoyable in good weather. Some guys are allowed to these but all they need is an experienced operator and big scuppers and your good.

Wrote this on my phone so sorry if it reads bad.

There is no perfect boat. No boat does everything. For every gain you get you sacrifice somewhere else. It is possible to find the perfect boat for yourself but this to is a fine balance. The more cash u have the more forgiveness you get.
I find myself that walk arounds are real space waister. I do have an open bow with a walk through window. This with a far forward cabin I find highly efficient space wise. It's rougher to ride but air ride seats help. I guess when u are getting up to 30 feet you can afford to waist space and I find that the large boats exploit the available space they have.
I love the open bow. Big space saver in my eyes and very enjoyable in good weather. Some guys are allowed to these but all they need is an experienced operator and big scuppers and your good.

Wrote this on my phone so sorry if it reads bad.

Thanks for posting Jay. I know there is no perfect boat. I may talk to Bruce and make this thing full cabin but I just don't want to have to deal with all the crap that goes along with a full cabin. I don't need a fridge or stove. I don't need a stand up head with a shower (although I can still put an outside shower in if I wanted). I just want a bigger fishing boat that I can walk around and sleep on maybe 3 times a year. I have never slept on my current ride yet. I figure I might be going up North more with the bigger boat towards Nootka etc. and might need to sleep on it one or two nights. Like I said before, I'm a sandwich guy and can live out of a cooler pretty well for a few day's. I'm am trying to keep the cost of the whole build to a minimum. I can build the hull in my boat shed and build the cabin in the shop. Then glue the two together.

Id definetly suggest welding to the to pieces together. Im not sure glue will hold. Maybe gorilla glue and if not gorilla glue and duct tape.

Id definetly suggest welding to the to pieces together. Im not sure glue will hold. Maybe gorilla glue and if not gorilla glue and duct tape.

Are you (name withheld) drunk? I get called out on that once in a while but really lol?

Are you (name withheld) drunk? I get called out on that once in a while but really lol?
Don't be limp wristed......3M 5200 is way better than gorilla glue!!!

Skulp...with that 10ft beam,I would stick with the walk around,you don't want a "walkthrough" in a boat like that.
Remember...one day you will be casting for tuna....walk around good!!!!

Back