What do you folks think about this boat design?

Just goofing off and stretched the boat by approx. 4 ft.

48f5649c-2a7d-41bb-b08f-4772142a2fcb_zpsa0ed3641.jpg

Again, just goofing off and doodling some stuff on her. Kind of changes the look if you put a bit of a combing on the roof. I thought I might as well add a radar, search light, life raft, and outriggers while I was at it LOL!!!

0f633b37-f59f-46f2-b539-a65b9245b38a_zps859c6354.jpg

You can see that the fuel tank could be moved back and there is enough room to add a second tank of similar size behind it. This way the cabin bulkhead could continue down all the way to the inside bottom of the hull and out to the sides of the hull to create a fully separate chamber in the back. The front ahead of the head lol could be done the same way to create a smaller chamber in the bow. A boat of this size does not require foam and it is already designed as a tub inside of a tub. I just want sealed chambers in the first tub so if one of them gets punctured the others will keep her from going down to Davey Jones locker per say.

Just having some fun...........

Nice Doodles
My sketches looks like, driveway chalk art compared to that
Go for the build John, would be a rewarding project, except the shed would be too small, like I replied before..........

Kh

Just goofing off and stretched the boat by approx. 4 ft.

48f5649c-2a7d-41bb-b08f-4772142a2fcb_zpsa0ed3641.jpg

Again, just goofing off and doodling some stuff on her. Kind of changes the look if you put a bit of a combing on the roof. I thought I might as well add a radar, search light, life raft, and outriggers while I was at it LOL!!!

0f633b37-f59f-46f2-b539-a65b9245b38a_zps859c6354.jpg

You can see that the fuel tank could be moved back and there is enough room to add a second tank of similar size behind it. This way the cabin bulkhead could continue down all the way to the inside bottom of the hull and out to the sides of the hull to create a fully separate chamber in the back. The front ahead of the head lol could be done the same way to create a smaller chamber in the bow. A boat of this size does not require foam and it is already designed as a tub inside of a tub. I just want sealed chambers in the first tub so if one of them gets punctured the others will keep her from going down to Davey Jones locker per say.

Just having some fun...........

I hope that's not me sitting in the bow, looks like it could be a bit wet up there. I better wrap my fish in plastic.

BTW I am jealous of the money you guys have to soak into boats like this....LOL those are awesome boats but I am far from that club for now...

I'm like you HF - I don't have that kind of cash. Boats like the one Sculpin is thinking about are easy six figures to buy new, probably 50-70K to buy used or build once you include electronics, trailer and the massive single or twin outboards. And then running 300+ HP, single or twin, can cost you more per hour to to run than it does to get them maintained ($75-$100 an hour)!

This is why I recommend you check out the Tolman Skiff and Great Alaskan boats. Easy and inexpensive to build - I'm going to build one. Seaworthy and designed for offshore use. And cheap to run - most run with 150 HP or less and get 4-5 MPG. Light to tow so you can skip the big thirsty truck too. The only drawback is that because they are lighter boats, you won't be able to fly through a chop the way the heavy, massive deadrise (i.e. 20 degree deep V's) heavyweights will (which takes horsepower and fuel though). You'll be just as seaworthy, you'll just have to slow down some. But with fuel never getting cheaper, it's an easy trade off, and one that more will have to make going forward. Google "Tolman Skiff" and "Great Alaskan" boats and check out the web forum at fishyfish.com.

If I win the lottery, then I can go big and not care, but realistically a Tolman/GA is the way to go until then.

Are you quite firm on the walk around pilothouse, you will have more surface sheeting= more Alum. and less usable interior space, ie sleeping quarters for overnight Albi hunts

Will the extra weight aft effect performance? Maybe trying to keep the weight centred would be a idea?

if i could build an aluminium boat i would be copying a parker.

I hope that's not me sitting in the bow, looks like it could be a bit wet up there. I better wrap my fish in plastic.

Yup that's where guy's who take pictures of fish in plastic bags have to sit on the way home lol!

Are you quite firm on the walk around pilothouse, you will have more surface sheeting= more Alum. and less usable interior space, ie sleeping quarters for overnight Albi hunts

I am probably 80% certain on the walkaround. Sleeping arrangements is 100% secondary. This is a fishing boat.

Will the extra weight aft effect performance? Maybe trying to keep the weight centred would be a idea?

It probably will be a rougher ride that is for sure. Turning will be different as well. I know where your going with moving the cabin back but no way jose. I love a large back deck and real air ride seats will take up the rougher ride of sitting up forward. My current boat is heavier forward with lot's of deck space back and I love it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am probably 80% certain on the walkaround. Sleeping arrangements is 100% secondary. This is a fishing boat.

With that in mind. In my opinion a serious fishing boat should have a small place to sleep because there are some locals or scenarios where there isn't always accommodation.

That's why I chose walkaround. The only luxury aside from a pure fishing boat is a place to rest my head at anchor or dockside.

With that in mind. In my opinion a serious fishing boat should have a small place to sleep because there are some locals or scenarios where there isn't always accommodation.

That's why I chose walkaround. The only luxury aside from a pure fishing boat is a place to rest my head at anchor or dockside.

I will be able to sleep on this boat for sure. It's just not the top priority. The bench seats will convert to a birth and someone could always sleep in the isle with a thermarest. There will be a kerosene or diesel heater for warmth.

The cabin as drawn is 6'4" wide x 7'9" long. The enclosed head is an additional 30" forward of the cabin. Depending on how much space there is between the cabin and the gunnel I would like to squeak an extra 2 or 3 inches in width out of the cabin. Same as the head compartment. I would like to get rid of the seat in front of it and squeak an extra 4-6 inches out of that so it's a little more roomy while doing your duty lol.

I have to agree with that FB...not saying you need a luxury yacht/cabin but some simplified creature comforts can open up huge opportunities for remote fishing, even not being remote and being self sufficient can save huge on accomodation bills...not to mention its kinda fun, I enjoy it...look at our Bam trip last year FB...just dont get carried away and keep things light as possible if its performance you are worried about...

thats a big boat, I would be willing to sacrifice a little space for comfort

just my 2 cents

Thats funny....This is the exact design I plan to use for my seating in Bad Habits. I'm going to use 8x12"x1/2" thick floor plates with threaded holes. Im going to weld those plates permenantly to the floor, and have my own custom seat post welded to a 1/4" base plate which can be bolted to the 1/2" floor plates. And of course removed at will. I was thinking of adding the possibly of 6 Pedestal seats mounted to floor plates. The boat would 95% of the time have just two seats, but the option to add 4 more behind for those cruising days with friends/family would be a great option. Don't want to make Grandma sit on the cooler or something! lol

Cool boat, great to see it's a used seating idea. Very cool!

WAD_Moose51-150x150.jpg

I haven't worked out the square footage Len but I bet it is less with the walk around cabin. If I went full cabin you have all that extra roof, full bow, and other interior i.e. cuddy benches etc. added to the square footage of plate required. The windshield and rear cabin bulkhead increase dramatically in size as well.

The other thing about not going full cabin is it keeps me from putting unnecessary crap in there like a fridge, stove, stand up head, shower, etc. lol. I'm a sandwich guy and can and have lived on 3 day trips with just a cooler out on deck lol. Once I find those hot cans Nog posted up I can have hot coffee too not cold coffee in a bottle or can lol.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bod/3588682236.html

here ya go down....from the good guys @ Coldwater....nice hunk o' alloy thurrrr

3Ka3F63N35La5E15M1d2272ff8289af16188e.jpg

Those Coldwater's are great boats and I like how they get the flare in the bow similar to Ironwood boats. http://www.coldwaterboats.com/. Built in Marysville Washington, next to the Pacific Skiff shop. I like the Bayweld's better.

For that price, again I can't afford not to build one myself. Those Coldwater's are way to fancy for my rough on stuff tendencies lol. I would leave the whole exterior raw aluminum and let it oxidize itself. I might do up the interior kind of nice though. With the small walk around cabin the cost to paint it up and insulate it with some nice trim etc. wouldn't cost as much as a full cabin. I really like the "Mighty Moose" cabin from the Bayweld site.

How wide will your boat be? With 6'4" cabin that not going to leave a lot of alley between the house and gunnel? If its 9 or 10 foot beam different story. My boat has 9" on each side of the house and its tight!

How wide will your boat be? With 6'4" cabin that not going to leave a lot of alley between the house and gunnel? If its 9 or 10 foot beam different story. My boat has 9" on each side of the house and its tight!

The link to the design is posted in my first post of the thread JAC. All the dimensions are laid out there.

She has a 10' 6" beam.

9" is not going to work with this one and I agree that is tight. I figure with a 10'6" beam minus 16" (2 x8") of gunnel and a cabin width of 6' 4" the space will be around 17" from the cabin to the inside of the gunnel. I think I could get away with a bit less than that and increase the width of the cabin slightly by like 2" so to make it 6'6" instead. 2 inches doesn't sound like a lot but it does make a difference.

Wow that's big! will you have to put a wide load sign on your bumper when trailering? I think you could get a little more cabin width with a beam like that. I woul keep the top of the gunnel narrow in the midship you really don't need a ton of width on the top of the gunnel when you have a walk around.

Back