What do you do?

^^^^

Mind blowing stuff there kronic_fisherguy! Some people have way too much money. Very nice work.

EX Vancouver, Whistler home builder/Site coordinator to the rich and famous slash part time fly-fishing guide(People wanted to give me $ to go heli flyfishing so be it).35 years experience.Now renovator/remodeller,specialty concrete,finish carpenter, log home installations to what ever it takes to be able to enjoy my freedom to fish and explore Vancouver Island waters. Live in LadySmith .I can be found most weekends midspring and summer around Bamfield.Sport fishing paradise.

View attachment 6920
Hey KFG, Nice stuff. I have a place on Yellow point on the water with an old house on it. Retirement is still a ways away, but if you're still doing that in 5 or 6 years, I'll call yah..... that is if you will consider work from the neither rich nor famous;)

Hey KFG, Nice stuff. I have a place on Yellow point on the water with an old house on it. Retirement is still a ways away, but if you're still doing that in 5 or 6 years, I'll call yah..... that is if you will consider work from the neither rich nor famous;)

Haha, I know he works for more than the Rich & Famous. He worked on our place! (Thanks)
And I drive a boat around Barkley Sound and the offshore waters most days.

Haha, I know he works for more than the Rich & Famous. He worked on our place! (Thanks)
And I drive a boat around Barkley Sound and the offshore waters most days.

You have a great job Bod. I saw you coming in last week as we were working on the new Coast Guard station last week. Way to much for us to do there to fish that day lol. Maybe this Weds. we will drop some lines. PM me your cell number and maybe we can hook up for a beer!

Cheers,
John

Ex bush pilot/hunting guide in Northern B.C & Yukon. Now I'm an Independent Oilfield Contractor/Consultant. Over seeing the building of Gas Plants and Pipe Lines in Alberta and B.C. from September to June. Hanging around Barkley Sound fishing with my family and friends out of the Terra Ann II during June, July and August.

Last edited by a moderator:
Steel, aluminum, and stainless. Metals is my game. Welding or bolting them together.

Some of you might have walked across this bridge.

My wife and son where some of the first that where able to walk across it after the opening. Very cool.

Probably the most rewarding project I have done in my life. We didn't make much money on it but it was still cool.

Cheers,
John

Englishman river? That's a pretty sweet bridge if its the one, impressive work.

Myself, I'm starting a new thing, currently a tugboat deckhand moving barges from Vancouver to Rupert and all places in between.

Myself, I'm starting a new thing, currently a tugboat deckhand moving barges from Vancouver to Rupert and all places in between.

Yes the pedestrian bridge over the Englishman River. Thanks.

Good luck with the new job man.

Cheers,
John

That's sweet Sculpin. When did that bridge go in? Spent alot of time on the Englishman as a kid as my grandpa lives close by in Craig Bay but haven't been back for a few years..

That's sweet Sculpin. When did that bridge go in? Spent alot of time on the Englishman as a kid as my grandpa lives close by in Craig Bay but haven't been back for a few years..

It was built in 2007.

Enough talent on this thread to plan develop,and create a strata sport fishing commune paradise somewhere.(I have a good idea where!)Now if we had a kronic sportfishing trust fund baby in the group!!!

Started off out of high school on the tugs towing logs out of Seymour Inlet to Vancouver started the salt running in my veins.I used to hang a hand line off of a pike pole with a flasher and spoon I fabricated out of a coke can and catch the odd salmon along the way home.I did get a little more technical on future trips.Was a good job always something exciting ,challenging and interesting going on.

Started off out of high school on the tugs towing logs out of Seymour Inlet to Vancouver started the salt running in my veins.I used to hang a hand line off of a pike pole with a flasher and spoon I fabricated out of a coke can and catch the odd salmon along the way home.I did get a little more technical on future trips.Was a good job always something exciting ,challenging and interesting going on.

That's awesome, so you've seen the nakwakto rapids do their thing! We only work with barges so I don't have the salmon fishing option unfortunately. I do bring along fishing gear though incase we are ever tied up in a decent spot :cool: I may have to start packing an inflatable dingy as we go to some premier fishing locations lol.

That's awesome, so you've seen the nakwakto rapids do their thing! We only work with barges so I don't have the salmon fishing option unfortunately. I do bring along fishing gear though incase we are ever tied up in a decent spot :cool: I may have to start packing an inflatable dingy as we go to some premier fishing locations lol.
We went through Schooner Channel had to break the tow down and tow 12 sections at time one slackish tide at a time. I roared through there standing on a bundle of logs when we pulled a boom stick through there lucky to be alive actually was just exciting then.It would take 4-5 days to rebuild the tow on the other end. I would get off watch and sleep go back on watch 6 hours later a mile farther from home.Bucking tides in Johnstone Strait. A little info on the area.

Cruise Planning Center > Featured Articles > Article Title

Beyond Nakwakto Rapids

By Réanne Hemmingway and Don Douglass
Pacific Yachting, December 1999

HIDDEN behind the world's fastest tidal rapids lies a totally landlocked area, little-known to cruising boaters. Here, two major fjords--Seymour and Belize inlets--cut deep into the mainland coast range off the southern end of Queen Charlotte Sound. Although the area is only 28 miles north of Port Hardy, it has largely been ignored as a cruising destination, because its entrance, guarded by Nakwakto Rapids, has been turbulent enough to discourage large numbers of pleasure craft.

Study the charts of this area (3550, 3552, 3921) and you'll notice the many fingers that spread out northward, eastward, and southward from Seymour and Belize inlets: from Lascelles Point east through the rapids, and from Lassiter Bay to Seymour River is a distance of over 50 nautical miles. Here you see a series of lagoons, there an arm, a long sound, and numerous bays. Four major watersheds drain an area of roughly 1,000 square miles through Nakwakto Narrows, a passage less than 400 meters wide where the rapids can attain a velocity of up to 16 knots on a spring ebb tide. How can you not be intrigued? This is a true wilderness cruising destination, worthy of at least two weeks' exploration.

One of the last areas to be explored along the British Columbia coast (1865) these waters, which were only partially surveyed in the 19th Century, were a holdout for indigenous natives who penetrated further into the backcountry as Europeans arrived. Chart 3552, issued in 1987, was the first chart to show details of Seymour & Belize inlets. Prior to that, the inlets and sounds within this area were shown by dashed lines. It is here, too, that an exceptional, little-known rock painting documents the last European encounter with the native holdouts.

Chart 3552, issued in 1987, was the first chart to show details of Seymour and Belize inlets. Prior to that, dashed lines denoted the inlets and sounds of this area. Both inlets were named in honor of Frederick Seymour wh, in1865, was appointed governor of B.C. The unlikely name, Belize, comes from the fact that Seymour had previously served as lieutenant governor of British Honduras where he was based in the capital city (the name of the now-independent country). He died of acute alcoholism about four years after his appointment, but no one thought it appropriate to rename the inlets.

TWO CHANNELS From Queen Charlotte Sound, entry into this wonderland of fjords and lagoons lies through Schooner Channel or Slingsby Channel. Since all the water behind Nakwakto Narrows flows in and out of these two channels, tidal streams are strong on all tides, sometimes reaching 5 to 9 knots. In fact, so much water empties out of the area that the tidal range inside Seymour and Belize inlets never has a chance to fluctuate more than four feet before the outside tide--more than 14 feet in range--comes roaring back in.

Back