what brand of trailer would you get?

dawn2dusk

So I have been researching new trailers in the 3200lb size. Decided on:
- disc surge brakes rather than drums,
- standard grease bearings (not oil bath),
- bunk not rollers,
- galvanized not aluminum.

So now it is down to brand. Roadrunners are a little cheaper than EZ loader. Any preferences between these two? WHich one would you get and why?

There was a pretty ugly post about road runners on here. But i learnt a long time ago to take everything on the web with a grain of salt.

Thanks for your advice!

I have a road runner, been running it for 7 years
same bearings. works fine!
Just curious why bunks ?
makes it harder to load unload unless you always have 2 guys
IMHO

I got a tuff trailer and love it, best thing about it is the open I-beam constriction so no places for water to get into or hide, bought from sherwood.

r.s.: For larger boats bunks are highly preferred as they provide a larger surface area of support, hence fewer pressure points, and better support on the hull. Some boat companies void their hull warranty if a bunk trailer is not used.

img3937n.jpg

well my current trailer is a bunk and has worked great. I can back my truck up until the rear tires just touch the water. I can push it off by hand.

Loading it I do the same with the truck as launching, and can drive the boat right up on the trailer. The bunks have enough friction that the boat does no slide back into the chuck. I can climb through the walk through windsheild and hop down onto the winch and crank it the rest of the way. I am worried with the rollers that it would roll back into the chuck make loading more of a problem.

SG does have a combo roller/bunk road runner, but i am still worried about it rolling back when loading.

I am usually launching and loading by myself most the time and it has not been a problem. I do like the bunks for the support as mentioned. Also bunks require less maintenance.

How long have you had the i-beam? is it aluminum or galvanized? SG power did not seem too keen on them but that could be because they do not sell them [:p]

I will call Sherwood and see what they have to say.

Any others on here use the aluminum i-beam trailers?

So I just talked to Sherwood sounds like they have some sweet deals on the Tuff Aluminum trailer 4000lb surge disc bunk. Cheaper than the road runner or EZ loader.

Best part is the discs are Kodiak brand which apparently are better than some of the other brands of brakes. Sherwood is looking at getting out of selling EZ loader due to their brakes they use.

Another option is Caravan trailers. Anyone with experience with Caravan?

mines galvanized, i spoke with sherwood and the tuff trailer office and told them price was no issue to me - they said go galvanized (they also sell and make aluminum) as the roads around here are very hard on the aluminum which is not as forgiving and the galvanized steel.

love the trailer so far! Not a single issue, and like i said, I-beam will not be able to hide water and corrosion from you, its all open for you to see.

i spoke with several EZ-loader dealers for quotes, and when they told me their price i asked them why i should go with ez loader instead of the tuff trailer. they all went blubber-mouther for about 20 seconds then tried to tell me the hardware was going to be better on an EZ loader and they all use ss nuts and bolts.. so does my trailer lol

img3937n.jpg

I'm sure the I-beam is ok, but there is a reason that all cars, and trucks use boxed or C-channel frames. I beams are good at vertical stress, but put any horizontal load on the (Bounces around a corner), and if they buckle a bit, POOF.

A good galvanized trailer will last 20 or more years. I've seen Aluminium All-Speed trailers that are 10 years old that were finished.

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

alright good info! so maybe aluminum not the way to go eh, especially if you like to tow to Tofino or Port Renfrew.

Eh I think I saw you LAStChance this morning around 8am driving down hwy 1 past town and country walmart heading south. Nice boat! what type of trailer do you have under it?

Shoreland'r makes one of the best. I went all the way to Alberta to get my 2nd one. There were no BC dealers at the time. Dropped axles and disc brakes and best roller system.

highliner they are in delta I don't know much about them but another option I think you can buy straight from them no middle man

I have a pacific trailer from California. Tandem 7500 lber. great trailer. really happy with it - 10 years ol and looks great. a little rust on the springs and none on the axles or frame anywhere.

I have a 2008 Pacific from the States also. With the dollar at close to par Id be shoppin down there right now prob save a couple Gs. Im really happy with mine glad to hear your happy with yours finaddict after 10 yrs.

kittyjuly1409055-1.jpg

quote:Originally posted by dawn2dusk

alright good info! so maybe aluminum not the way to go eh, especially if you like to tow to Tofino or Port Renfrew.

Eh I think I saw you LAStChance this morning around 8am driving down hwy 1 past town and country walmart heading south. Nice boat! what type of trailer do you have under it?

I have a E-Z Loader. Not because I think it's anything special, but it used to be the SG Power shop trailer and is still in great shape!

www.swiftsurebank.com

quote:Originally posted by nedarb2

mines galvanized, i spoke with sherwood and the tuff trailer office and told them price was no issue to me - they said go galvanized (they also sell and make aluminum) as the roads around here are very hard on the aluminum which is not as forgiving and the galvanized steel.

love the trailer so far! Not a single issue, and like i said, I-beam will not be able to hide water and corrosion from you, its all open for you to see.

i spoke with several EZ-loader dealers for quotes, and when they told me their price i asked them why i should go with ez loader instead of the tuff trailer. they all went blubber-mouther for about 20 seconds then tried to tell me the hardware was going to be better on an EZ loader and they all use ss nuts and bolts.. so does my trailer lol

img3937n.jpg

ALL of them have hardware that is crap. I'd LOVE to see a stainless anything on a trailer. I haven't yet. Some of them with surge brakes have stainless hardware now..

www.swiftsurebank.com

This is just my humble opinion.

I would have a look at highliner trailers in delta. Great service and they know what they are doing. They did basically a complete rebuild of my trailer with new brakes and back plates, hydr lines, surge actuator, and springs. Also added fresh water flush system that hooks up to a garden hose. My friend who works in the marine industry suggested i go there, I was well taken care of. I dealt with a guy named Keith.

www.highlinertrailers.com

Well after much research I decided to go with the Highliner. Will let you know how it works out. Thanks for all the advice.

After my Road runner went boom 3 years ago I got a Highliner and it is solid and has bunks ; I think you will like yours !
The only difference I find is having to put a bit more trailer in the water to ease up on the grunt work when loading.

AL

Back