Whale Watchers VHF Channel

Chasin' Dreams

Anyone know what channels the Whale watcher boats use out of Victoria, Sooke, Nanaimo area's?

I assume they may not even be on public channels these days though due to wanting privacy of their sighting information though.

Will be spending a lot more time off the Gulf Islands and Victoria/Sooke areas this Spring and Summer so looking forward to more time with friends and family doing sight seeing trips other than just fishing trips.

Not planning on going to close to the whales (we never have) harassing them so please let's leave comments out about that on this thread thank you.

They are often on 88a in around the Nanaimo and Vancouver area
Have you heard them on there personally in the past two years? I put it on that channel a fair bit and seems last couple years I don't hear them on there. Maybe it's just timing. Even last year when I was right in the middle of them out off of Victoria I tried scanning all the channels to find any of them talking and nothing... Lead me to think they all had private channel radio's going. ?

Have you heard them on there personally in the past two years? I put it on that channel a fair bit and seems last couple years I don't hear them on there. Maybe it's just timing. Even last year when I was right in the middle of them out off of Victoria I tried scanning all the channels to find any of them talking and nothing... Lead me to think they all had private channel radio's going. ?

prolly texting

Last time I went on a whale watching boat I asked the guy and he said they use a trunked radio system within the whale watching world and that’s all he would tell me lol.

Ya h they would come on 88a lots even last summer, asking if any sports fishing boats have spotted the whales
I've heard them on there asking if sporty's have seen any as well but just never heard them stating where they were locating them themselves. So I always thought from that, that they just popped on that channel to ask us but not to share info. But if you've heard them sharing the info with others then I'll have to check back on there again.

I've heard them on there asking if sporty's have seen any as well but just never heard them stating where they were locating them themselves. So I always thought from that, that they just popped on that channel to ask us but not to share info. But if you've heard them sharing the info with others then I'll have to check back on there again.

Usually it’s just been looking for info, one of the outfits would ask and if the info got them an actual whale spotted they would give you 50 dollar gift card to chandler if I recall

Usually it’s just been looking for info, one of the outfits would ask and if the info got them an actual whale spotted they would give you 50 dollar gift card to chandler if I recall
Oh I see. Nice. I'll be scanning that channel more often then thank you

Back