Whale watchers pay to Boost Salmon.

OldBlackDog

B.C. whale-watching group uses surcharge to boost salmon, science for killer whales
A British Columbia whale-watching organization is boosting its passenger surcharge to increase spending on science programs and salmon-recovery projects for killer whale conservation.
The Canadian Press
wildfires_bc_20180820.jpg

A British Columbia whale-watching organization is boosting its passenger surcharge to increase spending on science programs and salmon-recovery projects for killer whale conservation. A whale watching boat carrying people leaves the harbour as smoke from wildfires burning in the province fills the air, in Vancouver, on Monday August 20, 2018. Darryl Dyck / CP Files

VICTORIA — A B.C. whale-watching organization is boosting its passenger surcharge to increase spending on science programs and salmon-recovery projects for killer whale conservation.

Prince of Whales Whale Watching says the conservation fee charged to passengers will rise from $2 to $5 and will be aimed at supporting the endangered southern resident killer whale population.

The company says in a news release the added fee is expected to generate more than $1 million over the next five years with the money going toward orca-based science programs and chinook salmon recovery projects, the preferred food of the resident whales.

Alan McGillivray, owner of the whale-watching company, says the southern resident population is struggling and one of the big reasons is reduced availability of prey.

There are just 74 remaining members of the southern residents that are often found in the waters off B.C. and Washington state.

Prince of Whales is one of the largest eco-adventure and marine wildlife tour companies in B.C. with operations in Victoria and Vancouver.

Trending in Canada
KISS YOUR ASHBY: After 50 years, Toronto radio broadcaster…
Watch more videos on the Sun's Centre

I tried a few years ago to get local guides to do the same. Add $5.00 to each trip and at the end of the year donate it to the Sooke Chinook Sea Pen or any local fish project. I still do this personally but only recruited less than 6 guides to do likewise out of over 100 that I approached.

You really don’t get it, do you?

They are in the National News with their message.

They are going to raise 1 Million Dollars for science in relation to the whales.

Public gets their message.

"Look squirrel". That about sums up that announcement.

Yep win the public and you win the politicians.

Yep win the public and you win the politicians.

This won't win the public sorry it is foolish to think so. Leaving whales alone will but cant get that point across it seems. Needs to be addressed at the 400m view not the 100m view.

We can't keep harassing these whales. Same as we can't keep donating our time to enhancement and expecting to get access to fish. Same applies to these whales. If we donate something for access we do it for wrong reasons. Just an opinion.

Last edited:
You really don’t get it, do you?

They are in the National News with their message.

They are going to raise 1 Million Dollars for science in relation to the whales.

Public gets their message.

Give an example. If the military who is shooting in SRKW area donates one million right now to salmon enhancement would we all have any issue with this if the military continues business as usual? Yes or No?

BTW OBD this message below (see link) was delivered internationally. The Facebook site has over 5 million followers.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...hQPh56Cy3pbLv5pZR-2qVVXnyjsxkbw31IeGsfo-3sPYs

Last edited:
From your info.

Federal fisheries minister Jonathan Wilkinson said the creation of sanctuaries could give the federal government more power to control activities in the area. “[These] may be areas where we simply want to exclude a whole range of actives and that would include naval and exercises and marine shipping and fishing,” he told the Guardian.

Give an example. If the military who is shooting in SRKW area donates one million right now to salmon enhancement would we all have any issue with this if the military continues business as usual? Yes or No?

BTW OBD this message below (see link) was delivered internationally. The Facebook site has over 5 million followers.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...hQPh56Cy3pbLv5pZR-2qVVXnyjsxkbw31IeGsfo-3sPYs

From your info.

Federal fisheries minister Jonathan Wilkinson said the creation of sanctuaries could give the federal government more power to control activities in the area. “[These] may be areas where we simply want to exclude a whole range of actives and that would include naval and exercises and marine shipping and fishing,” he told the Guardian.

Yes or No OBD was a simple question. If the military donated today 1 million dollars would we all agree that they could shoot the area 19/20 as they wish, and also do it when we are told we can't be in there?

You missed my point totally.

To your question, the military is the government.

So you want everyone to leave the whales alone? So you are for the closed areas and expanding them and having all boats off the water in those areas. And you believe that is going to bring them back? Wow, want to buy some water I own that will give you eternal life?

You missed my point totally.

To your question, the military is the government.

No I am afraid the point is quite clear. Yes or No? Answer the question. If the military donated today 1 million dollars would we all agree that they could shoot the area 19/20 as they wish, and also do it when we are told we can't be in there?

Last edited:
A more useful question is; would we all rather be on the water pursuing our passion and work together for a healthy ecosystem or all stay home and watch BBC movies about how our ecosystem used to be?

A more useful question is; would we all rather be on the water pursuing our passion and work together for a healthy ecosystem or all stay home and watch BBC movies about how our ecosystem used to be?

Sorry I don't know about ecosystems :rolleyes: remember? Please let OBD answer the question it is very simple.

And once again the Government can do whatever they wish.
They proved this as shown in this article.

They did not say they would not do so again according to this article.

Do not see or have not heard any outrage on this from the general public?

Certainly nothing in the local press expressing how this must change?

I do not remember this being brought up on this site, but I might have missed it.

Should they have done it, no.

Its lip stick on the pig. A simple bait and switch attempt. Bottom line is the $$ donation isn't going to change DFO's approach to imposing Sanctuaries that exclude all vessels - that includes WW vessels. The donation does nothing to address one of the main threat pillars for SRKW - physical and acoustic disturbance that impedes whales ability to acquire prey...prey that is already there in the water! When vessels are in close proximity to feeding whales their presence impacts forage behaviour - that is the science. No donation, bait and switch tactic is going to change or address that threat.

Avoidance of SRKW is the most responsible thing any vessel operator can do if they actually care about whales. These whales are not some sort of circus side show or tourist attraction - they require space, so lets back away and do the right thing. Why is this so complicated?

How did avoidance help east coast steelhead populations?? Did eliminating fishermen magically bring back them?
Pat you are always pushing for science based decisions. Do you think the science of water quality should be ignored or applied to SRKW's recovery strategy?

Back