Westport Octuna the hardway

Awesome post but a trip like that (gas cans hung from the rails???) too risky IMHO.
Boat under 30' are way too small for trips like that.
Weather out there can kill you in a heartbeat.
Trailer your boat to Westport, pick up live bait on your way out, follow the fleet, home by 2 PM loaded.
Reliable coastguard response.
We have been doing it for years.

This was an unusual season. We did run 65 miles and got caught in ****** weather on the way back.

Apparently the title of the thread failed to inform some readers this was “Westport the hard way!” Lol
There is no question that a run of this distance has some degree of risk. However I would say that the risk can be mitigated by understanding the weather , wind and water forecast. Many of the experienced Captains will use a compilation of online wind and weather models to make a decision to go or not to go offshore. I always choose to run on an improving weather window and hope to reduce the chance of getting caught by weather when we are offshore.
Having alternate ports marked in our gps in case the weather deteriorates is also a good safety strategy so you can push go to and move toward a safe harbour without having to figure out that most important information on the fly.
The key factor that I tried to convey in deciding on any run offshore is weather and wind. Samnjoe stated that a 30ft boat was too small for a trip of the magnitude that we detailed in the post. I would respectfully say that if you pick your weather using multiple prediction models and apply sound judgment to your decision to make a run you will probably be safe and have an enjoyable trip. Of course there are no guarantees... there is always some degree of risk.
There are a few ways to do Westport the easy way and yes Samnjoe I plan to fully experience all of them. I didn’t want the trip we detailed in the post to be viewed as a foolhardy trip undertaken with little thought or consideration about the environment that we were immersed for the better part of three days. This is a fishery that I have participated in for five years so we have a little experience in running offshore. We watched the weather forecast shape up and stabilize and then dropped everything to do the run. ... safely. Most certainly if you choose the wrong weather and wind to make a run the size of your recreational boat will make no difference... It’s not called the graveyard of the pacific for nothing!
PS ... Nobody smokes on Why Knot their safe !
Plus it’s extra emergency floatation!

Last edited:
Guys I admire your passion but I think I have enough experience at least to say just be safe.
I also follow marine weather and buoy info religiously while on the water.
You probably know as well as I do that at best they are only 70% accurate.
I would hate to see you guys have to run back or to refuge thru 10 footers from the north.
As far as the spare fuel issue. I have two career coast guard members in my family and I guarantee they would have lost their **** if they saw all those gas cans tied to the rails.
They would all likely be gone along with the rails if you did hit rough seas.

Great report though on an epic journey.
Too bad you didn't get into them.
Maybe next year.

Thanks for posting up your adventure, great read and pictures.

The Albacore fishing for the summer of 2017 off the Washington Coast was best described as not normal for sure and weird at the least, they showed up on time, mid July, and were hungry and then BAM all the sudden there were fish in the water but getting them to bite anything you could throw at them was all but impossible.

If they did co-operate they were huge compared to normal, (25-30 pound fish), peanuts, small ones, were almost non-existent and that in itself is completely weird for early season Albacore fishing off the WA coast.

I hope you get a chance to try it again next year but if you can swing it make the drive down to Westport for a few days and be set up to use live bait if possible as there is nothing like having an Albacore hit your live bait 5 feet from the boat and then take off at wide open speeds, kinda makes you say "Whats A Salmon?".

I live in Westport in the summer so if you need any local intel or have any questions about coming down here don't hesitate to PM me, I will be happy to help the best I can.

WD.

Last edited:
One last thing, if you choose to drive south and spend some time in Westport, planning your fishing part of the trip to start about the time the Washington Tuna Classic ends is a good time as good intel should be easy to come by. (It is normally the first or second weekend of August every year.) A perfect plan in my opinion would be to arrive on the Saturday of the event, attend the Banquet & Award Ceremonies and see what intel you can dig up. They are open to the public and if you want to eat, buffet style, you just have to buy a meal ticket before you get in line.

Before the WTC, not so much, everybody tends to stay zipper lipped.

WD.

Thanks Wave Dancer! I have wanted to do the Westport live bait thing for a few years! I have no doubt that catching tuna on live bait would be way more fun than trolling . I appreciate your input on the timing to get in on the Washington Tuna Classic! Hope WhyKnot and After Hours are taking notes! Sounds like we might have to book some time off in August for a run down south!

Thanks Wave Dancer! I have wanted to do the Westport live bait thing for a few years! I have no doubt that catching tuna on live bait would be way more fun than trolling . I appreciate your input on the timing to get in on the Washington Tuna Classic! Hope WhyKnot and After Hours are taking notes! Sounds like we might have to book some time off in August for a run down south!
Count me in smiley, wouldn’t miss it!! That would definitely be another cherry that needs to be popped!! Thanks for the heads up Wave Dancer. We will PM you as the time gets closer. ;)

Back