Westport Octuna the hardway

Great account of the events, thanks for posting this Smiley! The only detail missing from this post is that band Stick Figure playing in the background. This was definitely a trip to judge future trips by and it includes a few firsts for me;
  • first tuna on a handline (albeit anticlimactic, I guess that is why handlines are also called meat lines),
  • first encounter with blue sharks (2 meters long!),
  • first time hanging out with Dalls porpoises (just as fast as the white sided dolphins),
  • first time seeing a humpback breach 100% vertically out of the water,
  • first time getting on a boat for 3 days with total strangers to run over 300 miles to some random temperature/chloro break for some albies that may or may not be there and having to deal with Afterhour's and Smiley's eternal optimism and energy right up to the bitter end. It was exhausting. And Why Knot's crew was no different, geez.
You and AfterHoursIV (and Why Knot and his crew) were a blast to fish with, thanks for having me on the boat (which is a fantastic fishing platform, by the way).

I'll take this opportunity to publicly apologize for losing 1/6 of the tuna we hooked into.

Great account of the events, thanks for posting this Smiley! The only detail missing from this post is that band Stick Figure playing in the background. This was definitely a trip to judge future trips by and it includes a few firsts for me;
  • first tuna on a handline (albeit anticlimactic, I guess that is why handlines are also called meat lines),
  • first encounter with blue sharks (2 meters long!),
  • first time hanging out with Dalls porpoises (just as fast as the white sided dolphins),
  • first time seeing a humpback breach 100% vertically out of the water,
  • first time getting on a boat for 3 days with total strangers to run over 300 miles to some random temperature/chloro break for some albies that may or may not be there and having to deal with Afterhour's and Smiley's eternal optimism and energy right up to the bitter end. It was exhausting. And Why Knot's crew was no different, geez.
You and AfterHoursIV (and Why Knot and his crew) were a blast to fish with, thanks for having me on the boat (which is a fantastic fishing platform, by the way).

I'll take this opportunity to publicly apologize for losing 1/6 of the tuna we hooked into.

Priceless :) :)

So now that you are part of the 100+ mile club; what's next?

Nice report and a experience you will never forget. Good on ya!

I should have known when Whitey told me that Why Knot was heading south with another boat that has a big butt fuel bladder on the bow it would be you or After Hours. LOL!
Ha ha ha, how did you guess!! It may not be the prettiest bag up front on the bow, but definitely made the difference between running 80 miles into Westport for fuel or not. ;)

Wow you guys are flat out bad-butt. . .we're not worthy!!

This tuna year has been a tease for me. Lots of cancelled trips due to weather when the fish were around, and when we were able to get out they were "finicky".

See you next year!

fb

All in all it was great trip! more fish would have been nice but truthfully if thats the only reason your going you definitely would be better off heading down to your local fish monger ! We had an experience that I will remember for as long as I can remember ( the way things are going with my memory is just another good reason to post!lol ) It made me new friends and strengthened existing friendships! Thank you to my capable crew After Hours and Seagirt! Thank you to Why Knot and his awesome crew! Looking forward to doing it again next year!View attachment 35674 View attachment 35676
PS... Big Shout out to Sculpin! His numerous rich detailed posts inspired me to get off my lazy butt and give back to the site and the people that have provided so much intelligence and insight to fishing in our waters! Thanks John!
Smiley...... your post of our adventure is second to none! You talk about memory loss??? I don't think myself or Dave( seagirt) could have explained it in such detail as you did. As Dog Breath said ( POST OF THE YEAR! ) it was an absolute honour to be a part of your crew! It was a throw together team, and a shot in the dark as to how we would get along, and fish together. I don't think it could have ever gone better, from captain Thomas ( smiley) to deck partner Dave ( seagirt ) and myself, every aspect of our adventure went off without a hitch! I don't think a 6 month pre planned trip could have gone off this well.

It is amazing to have experienced this adventure with such fine gentlemen that are understanding no matter what the circumstances, and overcome all adversity coming out on top with positive attitudes at all times.

2018 is just around the corner, and some great friendships are in place, not to mention Isvan, Jeff , and Jason from our buddy boat ( Why Knot ) super good people that I look forward to fishing with in the future.

I couldn't think of any better way to cap off a salt water season.

Hope to see more out on the mission next year!

Thanks again Thomas ( SMILEY) ;)

Yeah we did a lota chasing this year!!!
So awesome to meet Smiley and his amazing crew!!!....second to none!!
We picked up a few fish....but simply they have moved on!!!
Definitely best write up of the year!!
Awesome meeting and fishin with u guys
We will nuke em next!!!

Yeah, sounds like an epic boat ride with good comradery onboard. Great pics! But I more and more realize that this fishery is not for me. I thoroughly enjoy the stories though! Cheers!

Love you guys and your serious passion. WOW what a great trip. I am glad the planets lined up the weather for you and you did catch the TUNA you so deserve. Great photos by the way. The idea of all of that fuel sitting on deck makes me nervous and really sets you guys apart :)
I don't think there is anything that is going to ever stop you guys. Why Knots boat looks like an exonite xmas tree :), certainly should get paid to do an advertisement for the company that manufactures the jerry cans and bungy cords.

Awesome report and pics enjoyed it. A hunting adventure in the water,, I could get into it no sweat.

Thx boys, your fueling the desire for sure.

I appreciate all the comments and positive feedback on the post. Chris 73 said that this fishery is not for him and of course I respect his comment. To be clear the trip I detailed was on the extreme end of what a British Columbia tuna fishing trip can be especially since we fished in US waters lol. ( yes we bought our Washington State fishing licenses online)
Fish Tofino who is a veteran guide and has more experience than most posted he only travels 2hrs max to reach this fishery or waits until the warm water comes in closer to the Island... that’s good logical strategy. To participate in this fishery being knowledgeable about offshore weather and water conditions is critical for safety. In addition a well maintained boat capable of handling the offshore environment will ensure that you also get home. Ultimately it comes down to a choice to make the run for these awesome game fish. I agree with Chris 73 it’s not for everyone! I didn’t want my post to discourage anyone who was considering this fishery . Do your homework on wind and weather team up with a good buddy boat and get ready for a fishery that is totally different from anything else in western Canada. It easily can be a one day dock to dock trip in fact most trips are just that... day trips. The hardest part of this fishery is the the timing... dropping everything putting together a crew when the weather and water cooperate and let us run out into the blue water.

Last edited:
Back