West Coast Salmon Vulnerable to Climate Change, but Some Show Resilience to Shifting Environment

according to my highschool friends that went to uvic and took environmental science there is no time left it's too late. Changes we are seeing now are a result of effects of pollution from 50 years ago.

"Not-so-fun fact: the climate impacts we're seeing today are the result of things that happened decades ago. There's an estimated 50 year lag period between a given impact (such as increased greenhouse gasses/emissions) and the actual full-blown result of that impact (like climate change, such as warming trends). Even if we went full tilt zero-emissions right now, or five years from now, we will still be dealing with the fall out of past impacts and the associated climate change for decades because of this lag period. The problem will continue to escalate even after we make the necessary changes to mitigate anthropogenic impacts on our global climate before it begins to level out. Things will likely continue to get worse for quite some time before anything begins to get better, regardless of how accessible green tech is becoming now."

Well not really, it's not too late as we have many reports from IPCC that show pathways to keeping temps below 2C that are available as long as we buckle down and create credible policy to achieve them. There are even pathways to 1.5C but that may be harder to accomplish with all the nonsense currently coming from climate deniers that are holding back action.

As for your not-so-fun fact ... about the quote you gave (link please). I think what they are talking about is the energy imbalance that we are currently in. There is more energy coming into the system then escaping it. Not sure if it's 50 years till equilibrium but it could be if the quote you used was from a respected scientist that has published on the matter. The pathways that I mentioned above include this and also negative emissions if I'm not mistaken.

And Science says,
NASA has conceded that climate models lack the precision required to make climate projections due to the inability to accurately model clouds.

https://notrickszone.com/2019/08/29...es-less-accurate-than-needed-for-projections/

When every I see links like "notrickszone" from climate denier websites that claim NASA this or NASA that, I fondly remember my childhood when my uncle use to pinch my nose then show me his fist and say "I've got your nose". Even back them I knew it was just his thumb.

Well not really, it's not too late as we have many reports from IPCC that show pathways to keeping temps below 2C that are available as long as we buckle down and create credible policy to achieve them. There are even pathways to 1.5C but that may be harder to accomplish with all the nonsense currently coming from climate deniers that are holding back action.

As for your not-so-fun fact ... about the quote you gave (link please). I think what they are talking about is the energy imbalance that we are currently in. There is more energy coming into the system then escaping it. Not sure if it's 50 years till equilibrium but it could be if the quote you used was from a respected scientist that has published on the matter. The pathways that I mentioned above include this and also negative emissions if I'm not mistaken.

The quote is from a friend of mine, one that has gone to many protests. Is the product of the latest and greatest environmental acidemia has to offer.

Her point to me was even if we went to zero emissions tomorrow. The planet would continue on its path for the next 50 years warming as if we were still adding greenhouse gases to it. That the anthropogenic changes we are seeing today is a result of greenhouse gases we put into the atmosphere 50 years ago.

So what does that mean for a system like the cowichan, well reducing greenhouse gases won't help it, at least not in our lifetime. We need to come up with ways to help the environment now and reduce emissions future. The planet is going to be warming for the rest of our lifetimes and we need to engineer for that.

Ya - it's tiring when the denier camp trots out - being as polite as I can - non-science and non-science experts whom are largely economists who don't even have credibility in their stated profession let alone in the field of climate science.

People who wish to believe in the impossible - rather than actually read and understand the science - readily gobble-up the crap from the denier blogs - and wrongly assume it has the same status as the climate science because IMHO they often celebrate being science illiterate and astoundingly expect others to similarly be as illiterate and astoundingly celebrate them being science illiterate - as if it is something to be proud of. Thanks for posting about this point, GLG.

And the point about science climate using computer models... groan... it's a ridiculous argument

Yep - for some of the predictions - verses the observations - computers are used.

1st off - there are numerous observations that collect into data (trends in CO2, pH, temps, species range shifts, fires, extreme weather, snow pack, precipitation, etc) that are not "computer models". Most people living North of the 45th parallel, and likely everyone north of 60 has seen these changes and acceleration in these changes already - and subsequently ignore the deniers since they are already living it and seeing the patterns 1sthand.

2ndly - Yes - there are caveats buried within whatever published models are used that describe the sensitivity and the accuracy of the data used. If someone wishes to critique any model they can read it - and if they disagree - challenge that paper in the science rather than take some irresponsible bloggers word for that.

3rdly - if it is merely the use of computers that is suspect - than how can any blogger or poster on the BC Sportsfishing Forum defend the use of computers to communicate?

If computers were simply wrong - then obviously any blog that Bob Hooten (or anyone) writes is wrong simply because he used a computer to type it and publish it. Our vehicles won't work because they were designed on a computer model. Nor would our banking and investment industry.

ridiculous, ironic, irresponsible and insane all at the same time.

Insane because at the end of it all - we will run out of accessible supplies of oil - full stop. Nobody is dumb enough to argue that (altho we can argue about whether it 60 years or less).

BUT...

Insane because nobody seems to wants to talk about what to do about that rather important issue - because all this resistance to developing alternative energy sources in the face of global warming accelerated by fossil fuel emissions becomes moot if you consider that fact.

Time to ignore the deniers and go about planning on how to mitigate things incl. developing alternative energy sources.

Last edited:
And computers are nothing , the people behind them are!

They are the people guessing about the future , yet here we are looking at all the environmental projections that have not Come true.

You can carry on believing fairy tales all you want, however that does not mean any one else has to.

Ya - it's tiring when the denier camp trots out - being as polite as I can - non-science and non-science experts whom are largely economists who don't even have credibility in their stated profession let alone in the field of climate science.

People who wish to believe in the impossible - rather than actually read and understand the science - readily gobble-up the crap from the denier blogs - and wrongly assume it has the same status as the climate science because IMHO they often celebrate being science illiterate and astoundingly expect others to similarly be as illiterate and astoundingly celebrate them being science illiterate - as if it is something to be proud of. Thanks for posting about this point, GLG.

And the point about science climate using computer models... groan... it's a ridiculous argument

Yep - for some of the predictions - verses the observations - computers are used.

1st off - there are numerous observations that collect into data (trends in CO2, pH, temps, species range shifts, fires, extreme weather, snow pack, precipitation, etc) that are not "computer models". Most people living North of the 45th parallel, and likely everyone north of 60 has seen these changes and acceleration in these changes already - and subsequently ignore the deniers since they are already living it and seeing the patterns 1sthand.

2ndly - Yes - there are caveats buried within whatever published models are used that describe the sensitivity and the accuracy of the data used. If someone wishes to critique any model they can read it - and if they disagree - challenge that paper in the science rather than take some irresponsible bloggers word for that.

3rdly - if it is merely the use of computers that is suspect - than how can any blogger or poster on the BC Sportsfishing Forum defend the use of computers to communicate?

If computers were simply wrong - then obviously any blog that Bob Hooten (or anyone) writes is wrong simply because he used a computer to type it and publish it. Our vehicles won't work because they were designed on a computer model. Nor would our banking and investment industry.

ridiculous, ironic, irresponsible and insane all at the same time.

Insane because at the end of it all - we will run out of accessible supplies of oil - full stop. Nobody is dumb enough to argue that (altho we can argue about whether it 60 years or less).

BUT...

Insane because nobody seems to wants to talk about what to do about that rather important issue - because all this resistance to developing alternative energy sources in the face of global warming accelerated by fossil fuel emissions becomes moot if you consider that fact.

Time to ignore the deniers and go about planning on how to mitigate things incl. developing alternative energy sources.

And computers are nothing , the people behind them are!...
Science is not - or shouldn't be a miss congeniality contest, OBD.

Which is why everyone should reference the science out of the accredited climate science journals - which is often accurately reported on and summarized in laymans terms by accredited science news sources (e.g. NOAA, etc.).

That's what GLG's earlier posts were about - how to become science-literate.

Just just like Mann, right?

Last week, a Canadian court tossed out a lawsuit in which Michael Mann, the researcher who published the idolized hockey stick temperature chart, had sued another researcher for libel. Did the mainstream media run with this story? Of course not. That would ruin the narrative.

“What happened was that Dr. Ball asserted a truth defense. He argued that the hockey stick was a deliberate fraud, something that could be proved if one had access to the data and calculations, in particular the R2 regression analysis, underlying it,” Hinderaker wrote. “Mann refused to produce these documents. He was ordered to produce them by the court and given a deadline. He still refused to produce them, so the court dismissed his case.”

John O’Sullivan at Principia Scientific International believes the “extraordinary outcome will likely trigger severe legal repercussions for Dr. Mann in the U.S. and may prove fatal to alarmist climate scienceclaims that modern temperatures are ‘unprecedented.'”

https://issuesinsights.com/2019/08/...-court-loss-it-doesnt-fit-the-warmist-agenda/

Science is not - or shouldn't be a miss congeniality contest, OBD.

Which is why everyone should reference the science out of the accredited climate science journals - which is often accurately reported on and summarized in laymans terms by accredited science news sources (e.g. NOAA, etc.).

That's what GLG's earlier posts were about - how to become science-literate.

Last edited:
And yet Mann did not show up in court with the required materials to prove his point and lost the case.
Still has not.

So it’s just bla, bla, bla , .

No science involved.
You just have to love all the emails he was caught sending out.

So says writers from Investor’s Business Daily who were White House Speechwriters for President George W. Bush and in the pay of the Koch cartel. NOT SCIENTISTS.

You just proved my point - yet again OBD. Thanks for that:
https://www.ucsusa.org/how-fossil-fuel-industry-harassed-climate-scientist-michael-mann
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podca...l-mann-on-standing-up-to-climate/id1466449786

So, where you in DFO when they dealt with the Cowichan River?

I voted for the Green Party when I lived with my parents. Funny how thing change when you got a mortgage to pay.

Just just like Mann, right?

Last week, a Canadian court tossed out a lawsuit in which Michael Mann, the researcher who published the idolized hockey stick temperature chart, had sued another researcher for libel. Did the mainstream media run with this story? Of course not. That would ruin the narrative.

“What happened was that Dr. Ball asserted a truth defense. He argued that the hockey stick was a deliberate fraud, something that could be proved if one had access to the data and calculations, in particular the R2 regression analysis, underlying it,” Hinderaker wrote. “Mann refused to produce these documents. He was ordered to produce them by the court and given a deadline. He still refused to produce them, so the court dismissed his case.”

John O’Sullivan at Principia Scientific International believes the “extraordinary outcome will likely trigger severe legal repercussions for Dr. Mann in the U.S. and may prove fatal to alarmist climate scienceclaims that modern temperatures are ‘unprecedented.'”

https://issuesinsights.com/2019/08/...-court-loss-it-doesnt-fit-the-warmist-agenda/
And yet Mann did not show up in court with the required materials to prove his point and lost the case.
Still has not.

So it’s just bla, bla, bla , .

No science involved.
You just have to love all the emails he was caught sending out.

Oh for the love of G......
It was a libel suit where Ball posted on the internet that Mann "should be in the State Pen, not Penn State,"
Mann sued Ball and the court documents should come out and we will see what the judge's reason for a dismissal. Until then we could read what Mann and his lawyer said about the case and the reason for the dismissal. Oh and where it was posted on the an internet site there is a retraction and an apology.
Frontier Centre For Public Policy

D8e3OLaWkAAAc83

20190607_Court-No.-VLC-S-S-111913_press-release-1.png

Here is what Mann has posed on twitter go look for yourself.
https://twitter.com/MichaelEMann/status/1166711465597968384

EC1R41CW4AAt959
EC1R41CW4AAt959

So what this is saying is Ball is old and sick and could not have hurt Mann because no one pays attention to his ravings.

Mann may or maynot appeal and for what it's worth I think he should appeal as this has got the denial sphere worked up in a lather adding 1 plus 1 and getting 85 pushing up the Alexa hits.

Last edited:
Isn't that cute. What you are not seeing is truly actual reality. It's ok. one day you will actually see it. It's all good. :)
12:12 my friend.

Back