West Coast Salmon Vulnerable to Climate Change, but Some Show Resilience to Shifting Environment

Don’t need to convince conservatives about climate change it seems the liberals need convincing too. Four years of a majority government and they have one of the worst records on climate change. Perhaps more time should be spent trying g to get the liberal MLAs to do something about it. They are very opinionated in public about it but it seems that’s all they are doing about it, talking about it.
Maybe we just need to suggest that if climate change is not addressed SNC Lavalin will loose jobs?....

Alaskan Salmon Deaths Blamed on Record High Temperatures
https://time.com/5661024/alaska-high-temperatures-salmon-deaths/
Now this article proves the drama effect journalism can have on public impressions. The headline states “warm water kills salmon”. The professionals in the article state there is no quantification of past fish deaths related to warm water. The headline misleads people who are too lazy to think or read any deeper. Some people just can’t help themselves!!!

There is important information missing wrt investigation of the dead salmon and not reported in the article. Why do they blame everything on warming waters without testing for all water quality parameters? Another valuable bit of information would be is has everything else died in the stream? If so? When??? Are all the juveniles effected in the same way If that picture is authenticity from one of the die off streams in question then that fuzzy salmon is a flag for bad water quality!!! The micro biology is dysfunctional allowing gasses to build in the stomach cavity faster then the skin deteriorates. That is the same restricted decomposition as been happening here in the Stamp river for years. Oddly the Sproat river which is statistically warmer doesn’t have the same effect. If that pic is authentic there is much more than just warm water issues in that stream!!

The article hypes up totally speculative notions of an incomplete investigation towards a salmon die off. Material designed to capture the emotions of the average bimbo reader who will believe it.

Last edited:
Cowichan Lake will be pumped to save Cowichan River from drought
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/cowichan-lake-drought-1.5262148

How much has the water demand increased since 1998? How much of this is weather related vs how much of this is increased demand?

How is it that vancouver's main water source the capilano is faring much better this year?

not quite sure how much we can blame this one on climate change.

How many more people are going to move to the island over the next 30 years?

Last edited:
good, valid points on the Cowachin, WMY.

However, it's not just the Cowachin - it's a trend. A trend by geographic area and by time - esp. in snowpack and water temperatures.
3B23P.png

http://a100.gov.bc.ca/pub/eirs/finishDownloadDocument.do?subdocumentId=5534
https://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/pdf/10.1175/JHM-D-16-0012.1
https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/environment...rts/assessments/2008/ch8/10387?wbdisable=true
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/e.../climatechangeindicators-13sept2016_final.pdf

Last edited:
good, valid points on the Cowachin, WMY.

However, it's not just the Cowachin - it's a trend.

I'm not denying man made climate change what I am questing is what is being presented by the media all around the world. IMO climate change is the perfect fund machine to fix old/failing/no longer meeting demand infrastructure. Its easy to get stuff built because we have this impending doom of climate change rather than admit that governments have been neglecting this stuff for years.

If the island can't meet the demand of its own population why allowing population more their?? Watch what happens when they use climate change as an excuse to completely damn off flows and kill off runs. All its easier to do that then do something about the demand side of the equation,

yeah its climate change dewatering the rivers not the humans....

As noted, the Cowichan and the Cowichan Valley problems can be laid at the feet of all the Government agency’s who were involved with all the present problems.

No long term plan was ever put in place to ensure these present problems were addressed.
Now you pay.

Global Warming did not cause this, governments greed did.

And DFO was just as much to blame as any other group as they did not ensure a guaranteed source of water for the fish.

http://cowichanwatershedboard.org/content/the-cowichan-watershed/

Oh for the love of G..... This issue has been going on for years and we knew it was only going to get worse. Denial of climate change has dragged this thing out till this point when finally the lake level will be raise by 70cm.
The climate has changed. It's less snow in the winter and more rain and dryer summers. Exactly as predicted. Our water supplies have been designed with a reservoir of snow to melt over the summer to continue to feed the storage lakes. The only water supply that was designed with just rain was Victoria. Things change and we will have to spend money to compensate for the new normal.

You fellas need to get over it and if you need to look for blame then look in the mirror.

Last edited:
You fellas need to get over it and you need to look for blame then look in the mirror.

lol lack of action blamed on climate change deniers on the island wow now i've heard it all. If the island that's full of hippies can't address climate change what hope does the world have.

Well's there's enough blame for burning of fossil fuels going around - I think we can all share that blame. I don't think that is a helpful narrative, though - just another distraction.

It's the denial of a problem (global warming caused largely by fossil fuel emissions) that precludes our leadership from helping us come to timely alternatives that I am frustrated with. Especially since it is corruption that is tied-up with circumventing due diligence and good governance through misleading narratives that are not based on science.

An unfortunately common problem with our current politics - but the stakes, risks and consequences are huge in this denier PR distraction verses some of the smaller scale corruptions.

Well let’s look at Cowichan and the problems as noted by their assessment.

They could have solved his a number of ways, yet they did not.

They could have raised the lake level, yet they decided to let people put cottages on it . Now they would have to buy these people out

Greed by governments is the problem here.

As to you two yes Earth warms and cools and always has.
Happened before man ever had cars and trucks etc.
Science says this is so.

Yet here you are saying it is Global Warming that is the cause of this problem, yet the facts say mans greed is!

Yet here you are saying it is Global Warming that is the cause of this problem, yet the facts say mans greed is!

yes lets blame it on the climate change deniers and completely ignor the people who are extracting the water and the demand put on the system.

lol lack of action blamed on climate change deniers on the island wow now i've heard it all. If the island that's full of hippies can't address climate change what hope does the world have.

I see you never read the local papers to find out who this idiot is.
Tom Fletcher is B.C. legislature reporter and columnist for Black Press Media.

You may not know who Tim Ball or Patrick Moore are either. Ever hear of the Fraser Institute as they have a bunch of those duffs living here paying people to spout their nonsense.

I suspect that when you make it to your 60's you will look back and say why didn't I speak up when there was still time. I wasted all the time trolling fellas that did speak up. Doh

when there was still time.

according to my highschool friends that went to uvic and took environmental science there is no time left it's too late. Changes we are seeing now are a result of effects of pollution from 50 years ago.

"Not-so-fun fact: the climate impacts we're seeing today are the result of things that happened decades ago. There's an estimated 50 year lag period between a given impact (such as increased greenhouse gasses/emissions) and the actual full-blown result of that impact (like climate change, such as warming trends). Even if we went full tilt zero-emissions right now, or five years from now, we will still be dealing with the fall out of past impacts and the associated climate change for decades because of this lag period. The problem will continue to escalate even after we make the necessary changes to mitigate anthropogenic impacts on our global climate before it begins to level out. Things will likely continue to get worse for quite some time before anything begins to get better, regardless of how accessible green tech is becoming now."

Wildman, they never want to deal with anything that does not fit their agenda .

Back