Well worth the frozen fingers!

Karma-Kazi

Many of you might be hiding from this cold weather sitting inside. Me and my fishing partner Mike decided it was not going to stop us from an adventure. We headed out back to the tinner and chipped all the larger chunks of ice out. It was pretty darn cold with the thermometer sitting at -3 below. I grabbed a large pail and filled it with hot water and poured it in the boat. After all the ice was melted we bailed it out dry and loaded her into the truck along with the electric motor and all the fly rods. The lake we were headed to was not a far drive.

We arrived and unloaded the boat onto out own makeshift hand-tuck/boat-dolly. We headed down the foot path down the steep hill and right to the edge of the lake. We got set up and headed our way out into the lake. I was using my new 8ft 2/3 weight fly rod and reel set up with an intermediate sink line. I bought this set up off Kunni recently and had not yet landed a fish on it yet. This might be the day! Mike my fishing partner was using my Dads Dragonfly 9ft 4wt with my 5 weight Reddington reel loaded with a type 3 full sinking line. Mike chose a fly that he had recently had success at Quamichan Lake in Duncan. It was a big black and maroon bunny leech tied on a size 8 hook and with a large brass bead head. I chose a smaller ruby leech with a copper head.

We were not trolling long when Mike hooked into his first rainbow it was an average recently stocked fish. Then he got another quickly after. I had not had a touch yet on my new rod. We worked our way down to the far end of the lake to escape the light breeze that had come over two thirds of the lake. I finally felt my line tighten and the new rod curled. It took me a few seconds to get used to the light action of the rod. Once I got the hang of it I was ecstatic! Mike grabbed the leader and released my first bow on the new rod!

The back half of the lake was calm and dark with lots of fallen trees and rocky points perfect habitat for the cutthroat trout I know are lurking. It is however connected to the ocean with a small stream. We did a few passes at this end of the lake and hadn’t had a sniff. I suggested we work our way back towards the middle of the lake where Mike had action earlier. I swung the boat in a big horseshoe around a stump protruding from the center of the lake and Mike’s rod dips to the water as he announces “Fish On”.

After a solid 10 minute battle and only a few minutes before dark we net and release this beautiful 19” cutthroat trout.

Mike and I couldn’t stay away from the lake for long. Just a few days later we returned to the same spot to see what else it had to offer. A few dozen average size rainbows later it happened again. Mikes fly line tightened up and the golden brown side of another stellar cutthroat trout rolled behind the boat. “You lucky bugger” I proclaimed!

After another good 7-8 minute fight we net and released with chunky 18” cutthroat trout.

It was getting close to dark so we motored down the lake wondering and talking about when we will have our next shot at these stunning fish!

Cheers & Enjoy

-KK

Purdy fish.. I assume you guys haven't moved the wood yet
Smiley_Tiny_Drinking_Coffee.gif

;)

Back