Well, someone stole my spoon design and misreprenting as their own...not cool.

Andrew P

Hey Guys,

It has come to light that a gentleman by the name of John Beath, owner of Squid Pro Tackle in Washington has gone and blatantly knocked off my spoon design, and namely my 3” AP Anchovy Spoon, and misrepresenting my design as his own, even though we have been selling in the Washington market for over 5 years. It is an exact replica with the same asymmetrical stainless steel blank (they even have the same kick of the tail to the left and same diamond shape at the tail), same curves/contours. The only difference that I can see is that he’s added swivels on both ends of the spoon and then gone and given them the exact same paint job as a Coho Killer, another classy move. I've contacted Silver Horde and brought it to their attention also.

I called John on the phone yesterday to hear directly from him as to why he’s done this. The conversation that transpired leaves me very saddened about the state of our fishing industry. He seems to thinks it is perfectly acceptable to copy and misrepresent another angler’s work and claim it as his own. He actually said “my design is way different…mine is 3.25”. Wow. I let him know that I make them from ¾” up to 7” and just because his replica is ¼” longer than my 3” version…that it doesn’t change the fact that he simply copied it claiming it to be his own. He really did sound like he was caught off guard that I would ever find out and call him on it.
We make every single one of our spoons right here in Victoria, BC, so it is very easy for us to spot a copy, perhaps he didn't know how small we are.

His explanation of how he ‘came up the design is: “What I have is a good design…um company…um, factory that helps me with bends and figure out what to make, and that’s what I’ve done”.

Anyways, I am pretty bummed to have to write this…but I can’t sit idle and let someone steal from my family and my employee (a single mother of 2). If anyone knows this guy it would be nice to point out to him how small our PNW fishing community really is and that this is very much not cool. Time to lawyer up.

Our Spoons: the one he has copied is the 3" Anchovy, 1 to right of center.
IMG_6730.jpg

His 'prototype' from earlier this year...
53196621_10157617835302323_5373755856896655360_n.jpg

And the full knock off...
71548905_533440650742911_2541068936267431936_n.png

Fak... Andrew, this sucks... It falls on us the consumer not to be part of this. Thank you for sharing & I will spread the word & also NEVER purchase..

I worked alongside John when he (and I) were at Rivers Inlet Resort back in 2003. I was a dockboy and he was an butt.
He retains his "butt" status.

Sorry you got caught up in this Andrew. Best of luck. I will go out and buy a couple more of your spoons in support (and I'm addicted, let's face it.)

Thats really ****** - you put in a lot of work to get where you are with those lures. Good luck with the fight...sucks that you have to deal with this crap.

Brutal. Absolutely unacceptable. I am a great fan of your spoons and have promoted your brand to many of my fishing friends. Easy to talk the spoons up when they work as well as they do.

Your product was original Andrew, I'm sure the people who use it will continue
to support you.
So hard to stop the ripoff artists today.

If u have a patent on the product then lawyer up and sue his butt. Hope it works out for you.

Id imagine this is far easier said than done, patenting a spoon is probably like patenting a pair of socks. Hopefully some cease and desist letters will be enough.

Id imagine this is far easier said than done, patenting a spoon is probably like patenting a pair of socks. Hopefully some cease and desist letters will be enough.
It's sad but true and not limited to salmon spoons. When you look at copies of islander salmon reels and copies of Sage rods to the point that they are even using the same model numbers such as 2106, 3106, 3113!
what bothers me is that Andrew is a small operator that put all his passion and effort into the creation of this lure only to have some loser try to grab his market share. It's pathetic but I can only say that I will continue to support Andrew's business regardless.

had it happen to me back in the UK only issue i had was i took it to a guy who copied it then changed a few bits to the design.
never even got so much as a thank you out of it ...
if you dont have a copy right or patent then your hooped....

hopefully the china market will bring karma for you...
but its prob where hes taken your design
totally sucks ......
and understand your feelings ....

Back