Weaver Creek Spawning Channel

Bonker43

My wife and I went on our yearly Thanksgiving walk along the Weaver Creek spawning channel yesterday and was quite shocked on what we didn't see. For all the years we have been going to the channel on this weekend it has always been packed with sockeye, chum, and pinks every other year. What was sad was we saw a grand total of 9 sockeye and 1 chum in the channel. There were quite a few chum in the sorting channel waiting to get in but the lack of sockeye was disappointing. Unless the sockeye have come and gone already ( which I don't think has happened, especially when the tally board at the entrance to the facility showed only 109 sockeye have been counted to date ) it looks like this run has gone by the way of the dinosaurs.

Well the beach seining did a number on the harrison and below. Pretty disgusting the wasted fish that were tossed..

a friend of mine owns a house on the south Thompson with a dock on the river. he mentioned he used to have to go out daily to clean dead fish that pushed up against his dock during the spawning months. he says it's getting less and less each year. this year he said he only had to clean off 6 or 7 salmon. the least he's seen in any year.

Re: South Thompson, seeing as this is the lowest year in the Adams/Shu sockeye four-year cycle (plus a very poor sockeye year in general) and as the South Thompson Chinook will still be in the midst of spawning he shouldn't expect to see a ton of carcasses yet this year.

Cheers!

Ukee

Back