Weather Question For The Ucluelet Guys

Sharphooks

I’m doing a late evening run from UCluelet to Bamfield this FRiday

Outlook is 15/20 Southeast. I’m used to NW so this is a new one for me——any recommendations on best route when it's Blowing SE? I’ve got the GF with me this time so trying to minimize the sporty conditions

Last week I made the run in gale conditions but wind was from the NW so it was a surfing contest.... not sure what to expect for SE? Thanks

i have come from effingham back to bamfield and was quite the ride, big waves but was actually a smooth ride in the big waves

I’m not a Ukee guy but have done this one before. I’d say cruise through the islands to Effingham and then depending on direction of SE, line er up from there - obviously this is the shortest route. If it’s a 130-180 degree SE, this may be the best bet.

Either way, you will get the sporty!

SE is no prob buzz right through the broken group depending on how big the seas get you could always go in by sail rock through sound and out. The deeper into the sound the calmer the seas are going to be just depends if you want to add the extra time and fuel burn to do it :) SE always brings rain make sure your wipers are working and keep an eye on your chartplotter lots of shallow pinnacles / rocks just under the surface in unsuspecting places.

Big help with the comments, Gents—-thanks! And nice to have that Navionics screen shot, tubber—-haven’t been through Theipval so the chart helps.

Last run I did with the GF was coming back from Lund to Campbell River last year ——when we were going around Cape Mudge it was blowing SE 20 knots against a flood tide. That was sporty enough for me, with lots of free-floating logs mixed up in the waves to make things interesting...

Then my Suzuki started throwing alarm codes —-she burst into tears. Now when I see the letters “SE” I get the queasy feeling in my stomach....ha ha

My favorite Cape Mudge shot:

0AAF3F81-8D96-4AEA-8775-98A21AA9E08A.jpeg

Last edited:
We (Bamfield guys) run through Benson and Clark then down Coaster Channel to Effingham and across to Satalite Passage and Blamtown. Just watch there is a little nugget sticking up to your port side as you run through the Benson/Clark gap.

Back