WCVI Communal Sale Fishery for salmon and groundfish

IronNoggin

The Ahousaht, Ehattesaht, Hesquiaht, Mowachaht/Muchalaht and Tla-o-qui-aht
First Nations (Five Nations) Communal Sale Fishery for salmon and groundfish by
hook and line by trolling, rod and reel and hand line will open 00:01 hours May
25, 2019 until further notice.

Chinook, Coho, Chum, Pink, Halibut, rockfish, Lingcod and Dogfish may be
retained.

https://notices.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=221391&ID=all

Same areas that Area G Troll was brutally kicked off the water by Wilkinson.
In the guise of "conservation".
That pig no longer flies... :mad:

Pissed,
Nog

Bloody amazing!! Certainly helps with reconciliation when one group is demonstrably treated better than another group!! Sure recipe for some very bad feelings--just sayin!!

I noticed yesterday that dfo went out of their way to state publicly that the areas opened for this fishery were Court Designated. I don’t have enough experience reading opening and closure information over the years so I didn’t post anything but it seemed to me that dfo was passing the buck and the blame here to the Courts and the Crown rather than shouldering any more wrath from the disenfranchised rec sector. Why bother saying this was Court Designated rather than just announcing the opening and be done with it ? This felt very politically driven. We’re getting **** on folks and it’s really starting to stink.

Are these opening in the same areas as what us sportys are allowed to fish and retain? I see that the notice did say that it's closed to Chinook and wild coho 1 nm seaward of the surfline. Yea I guess it's Area G troll as they seem cover every square inch of coast from Victoria to Port Hardy. http://westcoasttrollers.com/fishingarea/

Are these opening in the same areas as what us sportys are allowed to fish and retain? I see that the notice did say that it's closed to Chinook and wild coho 1 nm seaward of the surfline. Yea I guess it's Area G troll as they seem cover every square inch of coast from Victoria to Port Hardy. http://westcoasttrollers.com/fishingarea/

They can and will fish WELL BEYOND where the recreational sector will. Although supposedly "bound" to remain within 9 miles of the surfline (which is well beyond the sporty border), that will not happen. We have directly observed hundreds of occasions when they simply ignore area restrictions and go wherever they please. DFO has challenged them on this (again, direct observations) but when push comes to shove, DFO simply leaves. So yes, they ARE fishing areas both the Recreational Sector and Area G were forcibly removed from. This is NOT about "conservation" whatsoever. Period.

Your link regarding Area G is VERY dated.
We have not fished below Pachena for damn near 20 years. And we have not fished Big Bank (Area 123) for almost ten. At the top end, we are held back from anywhere near there. 127 is about the limit, and again has been for ~ 10 years. The government has been trying to starve us out for decades. Appears with this blow they may have finally succeeded.

Pissed At Losing My Livelihood to this absolute ********. :mad:
Nog

I noticed yesterday that dfo went out of their way to state publicly that the areas opened for this fishery were Court Designated. I don’t have enough experience reading opening and closure information over the years so I didn’t post anything but it seemed to me that dfo was passing the buck and the blame here to the Courts and the Crown rather than shouldering any more wrath from the disenfranchised rec sector. Why bother saying this was Court Designated rather than just announcing the opening and be done with it ? This felt very politically driven. We’re getting **** on folks and it’s really starting to stink.
Well they did win their court battle as well as the appeal by DFO about 3 years ago. THAT'S when i called it all over for us. I see retirement coming soon for me with a boat sale for cheap this summer.

And you wonder why there is Racism.

Until there is 1 set of rules for all this will continue down the path of bad feelings for special groups.

And how about the 20 million bucks the USA gave DFO years ago to compensate the small Commercial troll fleet. Oh ya DFO didnt give them a red cent. The USA wont be doing that again.

Terrible.

I'm concerned we are making fact statements without direct facts the fishery will not take place as authorized. First, the court judgement did allow fishing up to 9 nm off shore, and yet this announcement states the fishery is restricted to 1 nm (same as the rec fleet). So on paper at least the rules are the same, so not much to light our hair on fire about. The bottom line is those very same regulations imposed by the Fisheries Minister because in a large part, he was concerned that even allowing a selective harvest of hatchery only fish (Non-Fraser fish BTW), that the FN's would launch a legal challenge. So now we are all being held hostage to the desires of the Fraser FN's, even though there is no infringement on their Section 35 rights. AND, it would appear that this now infringes upon the Court Judgement allowing WCVI FN's to fish to the actual judgment of 9 nm. Crazy times indeed.

it would appear that this now infringes upon the Court Judgement allowing WCVI FN's to fish to the actual judgment of 9 nm. Crazy times indeed.

I do find it ironic that the first year they implement this fishery in its fullest they are now limited to the 1 NM limit for retention of chinook.

This is just a little warm up.
See why you will not be fishing the Skeena on another post..
That closure if allowed by government will effectively shut down sports fishing for many years if not forever.

These precedents will come to other rivers sooner that you think.

Also this summer the discussions of closing more areas in the South Coast will be taking effect.
The Greens are all over this and will be lobbying here and in Ottawa way more closures.

An explanation of what your picture shows would be nice! I see it is around haida gwai--so what's it about?
The dark green are proposed closures to all gear types. On top of that there is the Haida court case coming where they claim from the 200 mile limit to 1/2 way through Dixon entrance and Hecate straits.

The dark green are proposed closures to all gear types. On top of that there is the Haida court case coming where they claim from the 200 mile limit to 1/2 way through Dixon entrance and Hecate straits.
And just wait for the MPA process to finish up in the Northern Bioshelf...then they come south. Goal is 40% MPA closures....usually proposed for the very best habitat for rec & commercial fishing.

We were told that the MPAs would be around structures that hold bait. Guess where salmon also like to hang around. Points, reefs and back eddies

Great we can fish out in the middle of the straight in the shipping lanes

Back