Waterline mark / staining on aluminum - Normal?

a lil algae most likely.. once your alu tho does get a petina or darker finish, do not remove it. it is a change in the alu that will serve as a barrier. or welcome to the bottom painters club.

Thanks guys. I spent a fair bit on the boat and am quickly becoming paranoid about corrosion :)

Be very careful with cleaners and chemicals on aluminum. Make sure it safe to use on aluminum before u use. I use dish soap and water now because it's safe. Simple green is not safe on aluminum don't know about towel bowl cleaner but I have my doubts

I've just been using sunlight and a brush, seems to be working but this was some distinct staining.

A big problem with docks is electrolysis. Most docks are pretty "hot" and some are worse than others. About all you can do is make sure your aluminum boat is zinced well and also have your power out of the water and zinced well too. The more stuff you have going on around a dock with electricity the worse it is and draping extension cords in the water and leaving unused extension cords plugged in is a no no. I have heard that at some docks people who do this will find there extension cord cut up into pieces.
At my dock I am occasionally unplugging unused cords and getting power cords out of the water.
In your second photo check those white spots and see if there is a pit under that. If there is there is a big problem. Also if you have a hot boat that can add to the problem if your power is on a lot.

I've never used shore power or dock power and when I was out of the boat I turned the battery switch to off.
I 99% of the time trailer it out of the water, this was just from ~48 hours of sitting in the water at the marina in sidney.

For the white stuff I will double check for pitting.

A big problem with docks is electrolysis. Most docks are pretty "hot" and some are worse than others. About all you can do is make sure your aluminum boat is zinced well and also have your power out of the water and zinced well too. The more stuff you have going on around a dock with electricity the worse it is and draping extension cords in the water and leaving unused extension cords plugged in is a no no. I have heard that at some docks people who do this will find there extension cord cut up into pieces.
At my dock I am occasionally unplugging unused cords and getting power cords out of the water.
In your second photo check those white spots and see if there is a pit under that. If there is there is a big problem. Also if you have a hot boat that can add to the problem if your power is on a lot.

wouldn't a properly bonded hull and secondary battery terminal completely eliminate this? it your hull is not correctly bonded to shore power you have a potential of a hot hull and as much floating current as 240V. bonded secondary would drain current back to source through path of least resistance. bonding the negative side on the battery also solves this issue

my buddys AL jet boat gets cleaned with aluminum tire cleaner, spray on, wait, light scrub and hose off

i added zincs just past miship, one on each side . man they get eaten up quick. no more pitting tho!!

Sure thing bud - It's a complex issue because what is going on with your boat matters as well. Poor electrical bonding on your boat can repel fish as well. trophywife says he added electrodes amidships , which helped him. Never done it, but if you are just mooring for a short time, you could hang a few zinc's over the sides if the boat & just pull them up when you leave the dock.

Basically, there is a reason that aluminum hulls living in the water are painted below the waterline.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned here yet is steel pilings in the marinas. Add boats with possible electrical issues in addition to other electrical leaks to the water and you have a recipe for disaster. I have seen aluminum hulls literally 'boiling' at the waterline because of this. It's a heartbreaking site!

To much zinc on a hull can be almost as much of a problem as none. Almost like trying to balance on a razors edge!

Back