Water in the oil

MRWood

Just discovered that I have water in my oil. Motor was running rough and wouldn't get up on plane the last time out. I figured out that i had moisture feeding into my carb from the pcv hoses. Took off the valve covers and they were coated in white creamy gunk. I am suspecting that the water may have come from a raw water hose that had started leaking water without me knowing (this happened the prior trip). Water must have been spraying and I suspect got sucked into the intake/carb (not certain of this though). I don't think it's due to a cracked block because my coolant level is still where it should be. I have cleaned out the valve covers and valves etc. I have drained the oil, which was all creamy. I am now wondering if I should run some motor flush of some sort through the motor and then rechange the oil and filter again. Any advice would be appreciated.

I had a Honda 50 outboard do the same thing.
The milky oil was from a failed fuel pump sprayin gas into the crankcase making an ethanol oil concoction.

What power are you ?

It only takes a very little amount of fluid to milkshake a motor. Head gasket I’m guessing

Been there done that on my previous 4.3 Volvo Penta .Head gasket failure almost certain of that.
Hopefully there is enough space available to repair without a re and re on the motor.
Good luck. Last straw for me as it was time to move to an outboard to save my back.

My motor is the 4.3 liter volvo penta. If it was a head gasket wouldn't my coolant level by going down?

pull the plugs as well you should notice them being washed down with coolant as well if your getting smoke like that, might even notice build up on the electrode as well which just puts the nail in the coffin.

and like buddy said above just do both sides while its all apart, the intake all has to come off and heat exchanger etc, make sure to send the heads in to the machine shop to check for true flatness and also checked for possible cracks. Ive seen coolant jackets crack and leak into the cylinder as well.. would not be a good day to go through doing headgaskets and boom now you need heads too.

Not trying to freak you out. Just point you in the right direction.

Luckily ANY mechanic can do the work. Doesn’t need to be a marine mechanic.

Get a mechanic to troubleshoot it and give you a quote.
If it is a head gasket it is Actually not that bad of a job to do yourself if you are good with tools.

If is a 4.3 chevy vortex the older ones were bad for intake gaskets as well. You are lucky that a doghouse in a boat gives you good access to the top of the motor. I had to do intake gaskets on a 4.3 in an older Chevy Astro Van...not fun as there is very little engine bay and any engine work is APITA.

too bad you werent closer im a red seal tech by trade and I would charge out 75/hr to do that job its not usually that bad of a job.

Not sure about your motor but,
cast iron block, aluminum heads present an ongoing problem with head gaskets.
dissimilar metals encourage corrosion and the head gasket is the weak point.

Back