Water in fuel tank!

Saxe Point

I know I'm stating the obvious, but this is definitely something that can cause major problems. Especially if it's saltwater!

My under deck fuel tank corroded and developed a leak, allowing saltwater to get in with the fuel. The motor sucked some of it in. While not catastrophic, its cost me quite a bit of money to get the engine properly cleaned out, including replacing one fuel injector [not cheap]. Carbureted kicker had problems too.

For those of you with under deck fuel tanks, probably a good idea to check to see how they are doing every year. It was relatively cheap for me to get a new custom aluminum tank fabricated [around $600 for 30 gallon tank]; cheaper than the motor repairs! Sucking water into the motor is just a nightmare.

I replaced the fuel tank in my Seasport at 17 years old. I took it out and it was fine but figured it had done its job and owed me nothing. Better to replace when convenient for me to do so when the boat is not fishing...than wait until it does leak. That would always happen in July or August and put the boat out of service at a costly time of the year.

Profisher you're absolutely right. My boat is a 1989 Hourtson and had its original fuel tank in it - it had clearly done more than its share of good service (almost 30 years!). Of course, hindsight is 2020, but when I bought the boat two years ago, I should have looked at it. And frankly, I suspect I would have done what you did. A new tank is a relatively inexpensive and safe option that can prevent pretty major engine problems. I was lucky, but have read of other people suffering worse damage and complete engine failure in some cases, just because they sucked water into the motor. I will be more careful in the future.

Just went through this with water coming into the tank through a faulty fuel filler cap in the motor well. The engine was running badly. We cleaned the tank, relocated the filler, replaced all the filters and the injectors and checked the tank. All's good now, after several hundred dollars and the aggravation.

Another issue that can happen is through-hull fuel tank vents. Rough seas/waves and splashing can drive water back through the vents into your gas tank to be sucked back up the fuel line - esp if your vents face forward.

Also - sludge can also get disturbed on the bottom on the tank when it is rough - and overwhelm/clog your fuel filter.

A good set of 2 racors with a switching valve will solve that issue. The reason for 2 filters and a switch - is so that you don't have to stop to change the filter - when you are in the rough. Usually - that's the WORST possible time for that to happen - and it does. Been at least 1 marine casualty that disabled 2 boats due to this issue: http://www.tsb.gc.ca/eng/rapports-reports/marine/1994/m94w0010/m94w0010.asp

Back