Washington State bans Salmon Farms

The provincial government that controls the salmon farmers leases is looking carefully at what's happening in BC, so its important that you let you MLA know that you support similar action to what happened in Washington state.

If you read the ruling you will see Washington will be banning the farming of non native fin fish, starting in 2025... this opens the door for raising Pacific salmonids. Personally I think this could have far more serious implications for native species but I'm curious - how do the anti salmon farmers on this site feel about farming Pacific salmon?

If you read the ruling you will see Washington will be banning the farming of non native fin fish, starting in 2025... this opens the door for raising Pacific salmonids. Personally I think this could have far more serious implications for native species but I'm curious - how do the anti salmon farmers on this site feel about farming Pacific salmon?
I'm curious how the Open net cage Atlantic Salmon Fish Farmers feel about it. Hopefully they will swim with the tide and go onshore.

The likelihood of these operators switching to pacific salmon is low. They do not grow as fast, as they mature they become more aggressive so can't be kept in such high population densities, and the males have this annoying habit of early sexual maturity becoming jacks if they grow too fast. Pacifics are also more prone to disease in the farming environment. The operators in this industry have refined the industry and marketed it based on Atlantics. The increased cost alone from raising Pacific salmon should prevent it from being viable when margins are thins as it is.

If they were to decide to farm them they should obviously be confined to land based pens as escapees will interbreed with native stocks and cause genetic damage to them, and they will have at least as high of a probability of spreading disease as Atlantics, possibly higher.

Dave, Have you got a link to that bill that passed?
I think it was a bill that passed, almost two in favour to one opposed. It's not a ruling (decision by a court of law) but a law if enacted by the governor. He said he would sign.
Not that I'm anti salmon farmer, just anti net pens on wild salmon migration routes, I too think if the door is left open to raising Pacifics in net pens, it could have more serious implications for escapees diluting genetics in the area where wild Pacific salmon are already struggling. Atlantics are also easier to identify in stream surveys or on the hook/in the net. Creative Salmon currently farm " organic" Chinook in Tofino Inlet. They have far less problems with sea lice, I understand. I wonder if anyone has done any Chinook DNA work in the Clayoquot Sound area. I don't know if there is a wild Chinook run into Kennedy Lake but I understand there is a Chinook run in the Megan River.
Quite a few outfits farm Pacific coho in Chile.

Its key to point out that the ban is structured on the basis that Atlantic Salmon are an invasive species.

(In support) This is a difficult issue in many respects, with impacts that have brought out strong beliefs on both sides. There is an effort to find a path forward. Sometimes in agriculture there are crops that people do not believe belong in the state and that seems to be a part of the debate with this issue. The process is important and there have been several bills on this topic with different approaches. A healthy and productive Salish Sea is essential to the Lummi Nation and the fishing industry. Aquaculture can be done responsibly. There is opposition to farming nonnative species in the Salish Sea. If this remains a product farmed in Washington, it should be conducted upland. The response by Cooke Aquaculture to the collapse is concerning. The company did not take responsibility and blamed the collapse on the eclipse. Future escapes are inevitable and put native and hatchery salmon at risk. There is evidence that this is a dangerous industry. Washington is not ready to deal with toxic chemicals, sea lice, and disease that are associated with farming of Atlantic salmon. Atlantic salmon have been found to spawn in Canada. The Skagit River is the only river in the lower 48 states with all the original native fish still spawning. Nonnative invasive species do not need to be in Washington waters. Retaining rights to harvest fish and shellfish are a key piece of treaty rights that have been reaffirmed by the courts. There is a desire to phase out farming of all nonnative species. This bill is a compromise. If keeping net pens in operation were put to public vote, the public would vote for an immediate termination of leases. There are other ways forward to provide food and prevent pollution. Had the state known what it knows now, permits for the net pens would not have been issued.

(Opposed) The fact that a species is nonnative does not make it invasive. There is a $14 billion seafood deficit that can be attributed to regulations. Half of foreign seafood is farmed. There is not need for more regulations. Cooke ran out of time trying to update infrastructure they acquired. The spawning of of Atlantic salmon has not been observed on the west coast. Farmed Atlantic salmon are conditioned to eat pellets, and the stomachs of escaped salmon have been found empty. During the freshwater phase, fish are vaccinated and raised in disease free environments. This bill would eliminate hundreds of jobs. (Other) Ecology would like to confirm whether or not there is a need for the agency to update the NPDES permits for current leases. The bill appears to restrict only Atlantic salmon. The Department of Fish and Wildlife suggests that the state include nonnative aquaculture as well. The cultivation of native salmon in commercial aquaculture is a greater risk than the cultivation of Atlantic salmon to wild Pacific salmon stocks. The unemployment rate in the counties where Cooke has its operations are higher than state and United States averages. Jobs have already been lost and this bill represents over 100 more. The business community requests that the committee find a middle ground on the issue.

http://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/biennium/2017-18/Pdf/Bill Reports/House/2957 HBR AGNR 18.pdf

Back