Warm Water Weirdness

gamechanger

Hey guys, would really appreciate any reports (especially with pictures) of things you are seeing on the ocean this summer that may be related to the warm water event. The humbolt squid off Nanaimo is really getting some interest from our DFO scientists. Vellela vellela (by-the-wind sailor jellies) seem to have made it to the WCVI offshore waters earlier than normal...keep me posted on anything that you think is strange and I will pass it on. Thanks.

Guys, one of the experts at the Pacific biological station id'd those squid coming up in the Nanaimo area as Schoolmaster Gonate Squid, Berryteuthis magister. They are a local species and common bycatch in midwater trawl fisheries in the Strait and off the outer coast. So, not an indication of unusually warm water...just an fyi

There was vallela vallela by the millions the first week of April off the WCVI, basically thick from Brooks right to Ukee.

Saw them again but not nearly the same amount the second week of May approx 10nm northwest of Pine island off Northern Vancouver island.

We are definitely getting quite a few fish with butter fish in the guts...Seeing it in south island Sooke areas... A couple of mine have had these in them...that started early May. I have never seen these down here.

Spring Velocity:- are you referring to Sablefish juveniles?.....(nickname "Butterfish")........those aren't really uncommon in those waters......

My sounder said water was 17C the other day out by Gabriola. Sun was beating down hard and I was seriously contemplating diving in to cool off. I'm pretty sure that is warmer than last year at this time by a few degrees.

Here come the Marlin!!

Tuna/Marlin Shootout 2015?

My sounder said water was 17C the other day out by Gabriola. Sun was beating down hard and I was seriously contemplating diving in to cool off. I'm pretty sure that is warmer than last year at this time by a few degrees.
Been swimming every night in English Bay for a week now (except tonight)-it's definitely the warmest May in ages.

The water is hella warm,19C at halibut banks the other day too! The water is great, I might hop in and spearfish tomorrow.

Hahaha ;) ... his wife is probably snapping the pic ... dirty ocean out there geez a ***** recycle people .will report if i see anything .

Last edited by a moderator:
Just off winter harbour in the small patch of cell service. Travelling north up the outside of the island, I can report no vellella this time out here. Lots of humpbacks out from Kyuquot/Brooks and an early sunfish.

A fisherman was baffled after he found a massive ***** inside a cod he had just caught.

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2014/04/12/fishe...cod-he-has-just-caught-4697054/#ixzz3bv69ZjiI

Kinda weird ?
aka West Side hammerhead ,

gotta love the guys smile ,

fd

Sounds like we all have a new store to buy gear at....................

Back