Wanted Victoria Prawn Traps or Gulf Islands

kaelc

A couple of my traps floated away after my buddy dropped them yesterday. Anyone with some affordable square or round prawn traps for sale in the South or Gulf Islands? I guess the boat show is a good place to get them?

Also how much weight do you put in each trap when running two on a string? I must have really underestimated, as we weighted both traps.

Thanks

It really sucks to loose traps. Sorry man.
Traps are usually about $79 to $89 at the boat show. They are the good PNT ones.

I lost a few traps because of not enough weight so now I put an 8 or 10 pound canon ball about 20 feet in front of the trap closest to the buoy.
I heard you don't want the line jerking the trap so the canon ball in front helps eliminate that.

ideally 2 traps between 2 weights. a few links of galvanized boom chain works well. weight on the end of the line goes into the water, then your two traps, then another weight snapped on 10-20 feet above that, this helps your traps stay spread out when they land instead of just falling on top of eachother. as long as youre not in heavy current even 3-4 pounds will help a lot, nice long lines never hurt either, 450 feet, leaves a lot more room for error on steep drop-offs.

That's a good idea bout the weight on the first one. Mine do get occasionally tangled or the rope gets twisted

I have a 10 lb weight 20' before and after my two traps. I drop with speed and keep tension on the line as they fall so everything stays spread out. My traps end up upside down most of the time. But it doesn't seem to matter.

I have a 10 lb weight 20' before and after my two traps. I drop with speed and keep tension on the line as they fall so everything stays spread out. My traps end up upside down most of the time. But it doesn't seem to matter.
Do they come up ok? That’s a lot of weight. I have the Ace hauler

Ha ha I just noticed your daughter driving the boat! The cabin must be a nice safe place for her to hang out in

I have a well made prawn trap and all the accessories if you are interested for $125.00.

Plastic dipped aluminum wire mess 3'x 2'x 1' and 300' of braided line.

Attachments

• 20190417_150229.jpg
    20190417_150229.jpg
    489.9 KB · Views: 49
  • 20190417_150049.jpg
    20190417_150049.jpg
    470.2 KB · Views: 47
  • 20190417_150024.jpg
    20190417_150024.jpg
    455.9 KB · Views: 48
Back