Wanted: Sewing machine for boat upholstery (V.Isle)

Go.Fish

Anyone have a machine kicking around they don’t use anymore? I’d like to redo the vinyl seats and canvas top on the boat and the current machine isn’t cutting it
Looking for a “walking foot” type machine. Such as Juki, Sailrite, Techsew etc. Either a portable unit or standalone with table

Gotta be someone out there who bought one for their boat and don’t use it anymore?!
Vancouver island, Nanaimo preferred but will travel

Can spend $1000 max

I have a couple commercial grade sewing machines that I would sell. Might need some minor repairs. Located in Langley though.

Woulda taken you up on that if I hadnt found a Juki in Nanaimo today. Thanks though

Feel free to post here what you have though. Maybe someone over there is looking too

great thread here.
I would be interested in these machines as well. I would like to see what was purchased and what else is available...post a pic, some machine capacities,...
I did some canvas and vinyl for my old boat over the years. It was successful but not the high grade you would get from a pro on a great machine.
I used a heavy portable, named a Beaumont, and used a #16 needle, nylon or 100% polyester thread, and found that I could do 2 layers, sometimes 3 but never 4 layers.
Marine vinyl seats are thick. They claimed at Fabricland that they only brought it in once a year, so I never saw any that I wanted. So I settled on their Daytona vinyl which is thinner, and was able to seat it into 4 cushions, matching the old ones. Off white is the colour I went, re heating in the sun.
I gave up on sewing vinyl windows. the faster you go, or the duller your needle gets, the vinyl window material melts across the needle tip! So I went and got one of the very heaviest vinyls available, cut the pattern out, and installed snaps with extra material added in for strength. No sewing, just a snap in window, solved that.
A lot of boat windshields are the exact same shape especially across the front, so I got a used top from 2nd hand shop, trimmed 12" off each side, and it had zippers across the top and back that worked, altho a bit tight.
remember to clean and re-waterproof every summer. Bob's your uncle.

Well that deal I made on Nov 12th fell through. It was a Juki 563 which is an older machine but well built and more than capable for what I needed. The guys wife said he wasn’t allowed to sell it : ( called near and far trying to find another one but no luck. The machines chinnok had weren’t quite the style I was looking for, one was a double needle and the other was a German made Singer but was possibly an embroidery type.
A company in Vancouver suggested a new Reliable Barracuda 200zw with the optional Cuda crank. The price was reasonable and nearly the same machine as the popular Sailrites. Was going to pick one of those up but ended up finding a great price on a used Juki 1508 in need of some repair. More machine than I need but better safe than sorry. All fixed up and ready to go.
I was actually able to do 6 or 7 layers of Sunbrella with a Singer heavy duty 5532 from Costco, so for the in a pinch job was usable. Walking foot types are definitely recommended for stepping onto to heavy sections without fighting it though
Sorry I’m far from very knowledgeable on sewing machines but that’s how it all worked out

Many years ago I stumbled on a Juki 241 walking foot machine, paid $400 for it and dragged it home.
What a tank, it took 2 of us to move it around!
I couldn't get the hang of the clutch motor that those big commercial machines have so I went too Masons in Vancouver and paid $150 for a new digital/variable speed motor.
That slowed it down a lot but still I needed to put a larger sleeve on the machine to get it to run at a comfortable speed for me, I'm not a pro but now the machine makes me look pretty good.....LOL

Back