Wanted: Halibut Anchoring System

Explorer682

Looking for a system with a 16# Bruce , 450’ rope , 45’ chain , 20” float , double ring set up. If you are considering parting ways with your set up let me know.
Al

Thanks Charts,I called them last week, $725 pre tax and they are using galvanized rings and components. Trotac's set up is using Stainless rings , more chain and a few more upgrades but its about $100 more so your paying for what you get I guess.
Both are an option if I can't get used used set up .

Nothing wrong with galvanized rings.
I am assuming you are using galvanized chain.
Shackles are different, but you can cut off a lot of galvanized shackles for the price of one stainless. And stainless ain't perfect.

Big 6” seine SS rings - PNT - $40 each
5/16” chain - Wolfe marine - 1/ft I think
SS hardware, release clip, 3/8 bow-stern line, floating 3/8” line, - Wolfe marine - $120
Anchor - I had one
600’ 3 strand nylon spool $120 (wholesaler in Aldergrove, I’ll look him up)
scotchman - stole my prawn one

cheaper than 600... and with nylon NOT poly

contact for rope guy is cminke@telus.net. He has a farm and sells blueberries and has a couple shipping containers full of rope! Hah

Big 6” seine SS rings - PNT - $40 each
5/16” chain - Wolfe marine - 1/ft I think
SS hardware, release clip, 3/8 bow-stern line, floating 3/8” line, - Wolfe marine - $120
Anchor - I had one
600’ 3 strand nylon spool $120 (wholesaler in Aldergrove, I’ll look him up)
scotchman - stole my prawn one

cheaper than 600... and with nylon NOT poly

contact for rope guy is cminke@telus.net. He has a farm and sells blueberries and has a couple shipping containers full of rope! Hah
I got this extra SS 7 inch ring if you want , make me a offer if interested (PM pls)
ring 2.jpg

Attachments

• ring 1.jpg
    ring 1.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Not a big deal but I think you might need to zero your vernier and check again or I'm reading it wrong. From your scale (ruler) the ring looks to be closer to 5/8" instead of the 1/4" on your digital readout. The SS rings on mine are at least 1/2" and maybe even 5/8".

Not a big deal but I think you might need to zero your vernier and check again or I'm reading it wrong. From your scale (ruler) the ring looks to be closer to 5/8" instead of the 1/4" on your digital readout. The SS rings on mine are at least 1/2" and maybe even 5/8".
Your right , here is the correct measurement, thanks for pointing it out.
20201028_160628.jpg

Also built my own. Bought all the stainless components from industrial marine supply in Port Alberni. Got the 3 strand floating rope from a local industrial wire rope store. Spliced all the eyes myself and used marine grade shrink wrap on all the splices also. Turned out awesome and it was fun to build!

Also built my own. Bought all the stainless components from industrial marine supply in Port Alberni. Got the 3 strand floating rope from a local industrial wire rope store. Spliced all the eyes myself and used marine grade shrink wrap on all the splices also. Turned out awesome and it was fun to build!

Sounds like a good how-to thread.

Easy to build an anchor system for halibut.
Catching them anywhere other then north and west is another story.
Good luck you guys

Yup got all the stuff I needed when the USA CDN $ was at par and made it up myself, used it many years killin Hali in Bamf . Was fun putting it together and seeing it work for years. One note of caution when your out there dont go off the ball and try to hook back up at sea, damn tough and dam dangerous if ya ask me . Currents are very very deceiving ..tight lines and stay safe all

I paid 500 for mine at Trotac Marine sized for an 18 ft boat. Personally for the time etc to save like 100.00 just get someone to make it. You get it sized right too boat your using and advice.

Back