Walker Boats version of Cope 23’

Beautiful boat with lots of usable space. Is there info about deadrise at entry and stern? Based on photos above, i would think aft deck would be slippery as i can imagine my foot landing between the non-slip adhesive strips when deck is wet, and down i go. Why don't aluminum boat builders use a checkerplate aluminum pattern https://www.checker-plate.org/checker-plate/checker-plate-flooring.html or other pattern or etching that would promote secure footing? Also, why do some aluminum boat builders use wood covered with a vinyl non-slip product? Perhaps just a cost thing, but a dance floor on a boat like this is not that much real estate to escalate costs very much in such a critical area. Walker looks like they paid the price for shiny plate aluminum, but from my perspective, shiny = slippery. just some thoughts. DAJ

I think the way to go is some of that eva foam decking thats all the rage now. Good grip, doesn't get hot, soft underfoot and looks pretty nice. I think it's supposed to last a few years so probably more durable than a paint on non-slip or the tape stuff...

Beautiful boat with lots of usable space. Is there info about deadrise at entry and stern? Based on photos above, i would think aft deck would be slippery as i can imagine my foot landing between the non-slip adhesive strips when deck is wet, and down i go. Why don't aluminum boat builders use a checkerplate aluminum pattern https://www.checker-plate.org/checker-plate/checker-plate-flooring.html or other pattern or etching that would promote secure footing? Also, why do some aluminum boat builders use wood covered with a vinyl non-slip product? Perhaps just a cost thing, but a dance floor on a boat like this is not that much real estate to escalate costs very much in such a critical area. Walker looks like they paid the price for shiny plate aluminum, but from my perspective, shiny = slippery. just some thoughts. DAJ
Bridgeview used to build all/most of their lodge boats, 18CC, with checker plate floors and bow/hatches etc. Then they stopped unless a special build request, and went to the non skid tape you see above. Unless you’ve been in both, you won’t really know it’s not necessary to have checker plate. These designers and builders work with lodges and serious sport fishermen and know what they’re doing vs a mass produced consumer aluminum boat.

Open the page and PDF within to see the specs.

I think the way to go is some of that eva foam decking thats all the rage now. Good grip, doesn't get hot, soft underfoot and looks pretty nice. I think it's supposed to last a few years so probably more durable than a paint on non-slip or the tape stuff...
I think that’s called millennial flooring.

I have that Eva foam installed on the inside of my boat and yeah it’s great.... nice on the feet pretty easy to clean and looks good. However in saying that I wouldn’t put it on my outside deck, I know it would get destroyed in a season and it’s a pain in the butt to pull and clean all the glue etc off. Guess it all depends on how many days you out on your boat etc etc. Just my opinion..... have also heard and seen pics of it shrinking pretty good on the outside of boats , all the high end brands as well, so not just a certain brand.

in the photo of the deck in the Walker, there was the non-slip tape I think all can say provides good traction when wet, but there is a good gap between strips of non slip with shiny bare aluminum. That looks like an invitation for me to slip and fall. It is good to know that checker plate is not a solution, and many dont like diamond plate either, so.....is there a best of class solution for the decks on these boats other than non-slip adhesive for the entire areas? DAJ

Attachments

• 84704427-9EB7-44E5-B25E-1AA277DF37CD.jpeg
    84704427-9EB7-44E5-B25E-1AA277DF37CD.jpeg
    634.8 KB · Views: 27
Well, Im going to buck the trend and vote for checkerplate. I put it in a 2017 Northwest build. Ran it for 3 seasons and haven't had any issues. I expect that deck will be fine for another couple years at least. 500 days is the life of a boat in many cases.. I will say it's not as grippy as day one but it wears reasonably and esthetically looks the same as new until you look real close. Would think eventually it may become an issue but I'll coat it or just cut it out and replace it (not all that expensive or time consuming). Kingfisher coats/ paints checkerplate in some of their boats. Not my favorite but I'll go that route down the line if neccessary. Decent set of rubber soles and your good rain or shine (I fish ukee so it's often wet).

I'm halfway through a nwac build and went with the check once again. The fancy padded decks are nice but their pricey and I question their durability for my application. I've done the grip tape thing but it's just one more annual maintenance item, and it racks up. Just another $300-500 year in tape. More time and more money, what's new.

I get there's prettier ways to do a deck but I went aluminum to minimize maintenance. In my opinion, the check deck is the lowest maintenance option for my application.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201202-104834_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20201202-104834_Gmail.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 170
  • Screenshot_20201209-211014_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20201209-211014_Gmail.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 167
Well, Im going to buck the trend and vote for checkerplate. I put it in a 2017 Northwest build. Ran it for 3 seasons and haven't had any issues. I expect that deck will be fine for another couple years at least. 500 days is the life of a boat in many cases.. I will say it's not as grippy as day one but it wears reasonably and esthetically looks the same as new until you look real close. Would think eventually it may become an issue but I'll coat it or just cut it out and replace it (not all that expensive or time consuming). Kingfisher coats/ paints checkerplate in some of their boats. Not my favorite but I'll go that route down the line if neccessary. Decent set of rubber soles and your good rain or shine (I fish ukee so it's often wet).

I'm halfway through a nwac build and went with the check once again. The fancy padded decks are nice but their pricey and I question their durability for my application. I've done the grip tape thing but it's just one more annual maintenance item, and it racks up. Just another $300-500 year in tape. More time and more money, what's new.

I get there's prettier ways to do a deck but I went aluminum to minimize maintenance. In my opinion, the check deck is the lowest maintenance option for my application.
Geez thats a sweet looking machine. Some builds just stand out from the rest and this one certainly does.
A lot of these so called custom builds look like a farmer has built them in the barn behind the house and others like this are just a step up. Would love to see more pics on this build.

Geez thats a sweet looking machine. Some builds just stand out from the rest and this one certainly does.
A lot of these so called custom builds look like a farmer has built them in the barn behind the house and others like this are just a step up. Would love to see more pics on this build.
Farmers... phf.

Our eaglecraft has non-slip paint over the large expanses of the deck.
It has been wearing off on the high traffic areas, so those spots now get the grip tape.
I do not know what the non-slip is, it is original and the boat is 19 years old!

Our Eaglecraft work boat had a non slip coating on the back deck too. I found out that the product was called consolidated coatings (Grip Tred) Not sure if this is the same product as yours G.S. I ended up applying this product myself on our alumiumin boats deck and around the C.C. After 2 years it is holding up great and is like advertised.

Our eaglecraft has non-slip paint over the large expanses of the deck.
It has been wearing off on the high traffic areas, so those spots now get the grip tape.
I do not know what the non-slip is, it is original and the boat is 19 years old!
Same here. 14 yr old Lifetimer with aluminum floor some kind of non-Skid paint. Starting to wear here and there but never slip on my deck.

Thanks Walleyes.
Doug builds a solid platform. I'll post a couple pics when recieved. Should be ready to haul out of the shop early in the new year.
That reminds me I need to buy a trailer for it.... nothing fun about trailers. 12-15k for a 10000lb boat trailer. Often wonder why a boat trailer is 2.5x the cost of a decent 10000lb equipment trailer.

Back