VolvoPenta AQ151/SP

T

Tanglefoot

I have a lead on this Volvo AQ151 engine, and I would like some feedback on it from current/past owners. Anything I should be aware of before I shell out? I know that the head is prone to cracking on some of the older 4cy Volvos. How about the SP leg? Thanks! Tom

Hi there Urchin.
I have a Aq 151 C engine that I recently installed in my 21 footer.
It is a great little engine.
I cruise about 28 mph at 4000rpm. top speed about 35 mph at 5200 rpm.
The AQ 151 is economical, jumps out the hole very responsive and also idles at a perfect trolling speed.
Volvo made three versions of the AQ 151, A,B and C apparently the C is a big improvment on the A or B.
Can,t comment on the SP leg I have the 290 which is bullet proof.

Check this link out : http://www.volvo.com/NR/rdonlyres/3A21FC96-3791-47E0-AEBB-44D20F0069F0/0/250A_SP_1990_en.pdf

Davie

Thanks Davie. I currently have an AQ145B and the 290 leg. I was going to have the engine rebilt but the shop said it would cost more than the engine was worth. The 145 still runs ok but I don't quite trust it. I agree, the 290 leg is a good one and I'm glad to hear that I could use it with the 151. I'll have to check with the vendor and see what model it is. The price is $2500 and the manifold is new. I think that includes the SP leg. That sounds reasonable to me (?).

Back