Volvo 270 Outdrives (with 350 chevy)

Red Monster

I'm looking at a boat that has a 270 Volvo outdrive. As far as outdrives go, are these any good. It's a 1987 boat in very good condition inside and out, but I'm not knowledgeable about outdrives.

Anything I should be looking for?

Thanks

Hey Ive got the 290 leg on my (350) but what I know they are good just get a mechanic check it. And this goes for any leg be it a outboard or and inboard leg. Undo the bottom plug and ANY water comes out tell them you want $2500 off the price and if not walk away. unless you have a spare one around already rebuilt..ALL legs are expensive to fix.

Good luck Wolf

Volvos are the best as far as used units go. All/most of the bottom end components are interchangeable. Just make sure you get the correct gear ratio.
They are easy (relatively if you are mech inclined) to work on and understand. Have fun.

Had a Trophy years ago with the 350/270 combination.
Asked the mechanic about the "270" designation and, near as I can recall, he said it was the same as the 280, but was installed in production line boats.
Hope that helps, but have the mechanics check it out in any case.

I've got an early model 270. By early model I mean it has a 15" D short hub prop. Later model 270's, 280's and I imagine 290's have 16" D long hup prop. And no you can't put a long hub prop on a short hub and vice a versa. The prop shafts are a slightly different length. That is one slight difference in the 270's. All in all they are very good legs. The leg oil is very easy to change. Mine takes 2.8 L of 10/30 or 10/40 motor oil. The raw water pump is mounted on the engine is either belt driven or mounted to the crank. This makes it very easy to change the impeller or the water pump itself. The "achilles heel" is/are: the u-joint bellows is fairly large (compared to mercruiser) and can be prone to pinhole leaks. If you get a leak the intermediate bearings get ruined and to fix these you need to remove the leg and take the motor out to get at these bearings. Been there, done that. One trick I've learned to warn you of this problem is to put a small amount of oil in the bellows so if you get a leak there will be a small oil slick around your leg. The other issue can be the lift motor. It is an electromechanical system. There is a electric motor which turns a worm gear. The problem is when you want to go in reverse the leg HAS to be ALL THE WAY DONE AND LOCKED otherwise it kicks up in reverse. This can make getting away from a beach or other shallow water quite tricky sometimes.
When checking the leg out first thing is to unscrew the dipstick on the top of the leg and have a look. More important is after you sea trial the boat unscrew the drain plug from the bottom and see what comes out. This will let you know if the leg has any seal issues or not.
The other thing to ask is when was the last time he changed the u-joint bellows and greased the u-joint bearings. Every other year is a reasonable time frame. This will also let you know just when the last time was that the leg may have been removed.
They are actually a very simple leg to work on. I've taken the Seloc and Chylmer books out from the library and been able to all the work myself.
The only other thing I can think of is during hard turns you will hear the u-joints growling a bit due to the full turns but this is normal. They should be quiet during straight driving applications. I've changed prop shaft seals, re-sealed the whole leg, changed a few bearings and bushings, all this from a guy who isn't a mechanic. I make it sound like the leg is a lemon but I think the fact that a novice can fix it makes it a winner.
Hope this helps.
Dave

Thanks Daddy that is very informative. I just got a new Hourston with a 351 and 270 leg. I'm just about to do my leg as I just got a trailer to move it around and work on it.I'm just going to service the whole leg for peace of mind, the former owner said it was all done last year but it lived in the water year round and now it will be only in the water when it is in use.I was also told to buy the Volvo parts not the knock off's, just what I was told. I too just got the book from the library and ordered the Chylmer one online. Glad to hear that a novice can fix it.

Dont forget to loosen off hose clamp and look inside u- joint bellows for water.. a very important check. Water in U- joint bellows= bad.

Okay, that's great feedback, guys. Thanks
I go to look at the boat tomorrow ...in California.
I must be nuts.

Back