Volunteering

cloud

I was wondering if there are any projects to help enhance the salmon fishery on lower Vancouver Island, where someone can volunteer their time ?

I am retired with some extra time....looking for ways to help the sport fishery.

Any thoughts ?

Thanks

Cloud

This is excellent. Thanks TenMile.

Are there similar organizations supporting other hatcheries on the west and east side of the Lower Island ?

I know they always need help in Sooke. I tried to help out, but just can't find the time to get out to Sooke when they're doing projects. Good for you to get involved.

Highliner
IMG_0252_2_2.jpg

quote:Originally posted by just4fun

volunteering steels jobs

So if DFO says no more money for hatchery, must have volunteer help or program canned ... this equals no fish ... that equals less fish to catch ... me thinks some guides, charters, lodges, B&Bs and tackle shops etc. would lay off employees or go belly up.

Me conclude no volunteering means less jobs too

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling - Izaak Walton

and i would like to have company to go fishing for free with me ex guide retired.think of the calls i would get. i have seen lots of this . ilost alot of work to this

With the poor track record of DFO and their ever shrinking resources if private citizens and volunteers don't do what is needed to protect and enhance our fishery it is as doomed as the East Coast Cod!
When the fishery is gone, so are the related jobs. Volunteers are a vital part of the solution to improve our fisheries - more power to them I say.

Long live wild salmon!!!
lowrance.jpg

With the poor track record of DFO and their ever shrinking resources if private citizens and volunteers don't do what is needed to protect and enhance our fishery it is as doomed as the East Coast Cod!
When the fishery is gone, so are the related jobs. Volunteers are a vital part of the solution to improve our fisheries - more power to them I say.

Long live wild salmon!!!
lowrance.jpg

The San Juan Hatchery needs all the help it can get, it is a small operation and I heard that they are stopping the Coho brood program because of lack of funding. Next thing you know there will be no San Juan Coho, the biggest Coho producing gene pool on Vancouver Island. How would some one do a fund raiser for this very important cause?? Any suggestions?

The San Juan Hatchery needs all the help it can get, it is a small operation and I heard that they are stopping the Coho brood program because of lack of funding. Next thing you know there will be no San Juan Coho, the biggest Coho producing gene pool on Vancouver Island. How would some one do a fund raiser for this very important cause?? Any suggestions?

Back