Voltage Problems with Mercury Verado

SSwilson92

Hi all, recently I have been experiencing problems with My 2006 Verado 175 and loss of electrical power. (batteries draining or frying). I had the power totally quit on me twice now. I replaced both batteries and put a new alternator and belt on and after running it for two days my batteries quit again despite my voltage meter showing 14V the entire time after replacing the alternator. Anyone else had this problem that could offer some advice? Thank you

If you have 14V while running, it shouldn't be anything on the engine side of things. Dirty connections? Some load on while the motor isn't running? Do you have a battery switch to shut down all electronics?

If you have 14V while running, it shouldn't be anything on the engine side of things. Dirty connections? Some load on while the motor isn't running? Do you have a battery switch to shut down all electronics?

Ill have to check all the grounds. I do have a battery switch and everything is run into that. I'm thinking check all the grounds and replace batt switch and hope for the best. It also is showing a DTS alarm? could this be going off just because some wiring is out of whack? I've talked to a few people who suggest the DTS is not the issue just a symptom of bad wiring

Have you checked for any corrosion on your clean power harness?

I have not yet I will have to check
Have you checked for any corrosion on your clean power harness?

I have not yet, I assumed it was an alternator issue the first go around so I replaced that. Gunna have to go thru all the connections and clean them first and hook everything directly to the battery and bypass the switch

Do you turn the switch to off when not using the boat? Does anything other than the bilge pump work when turned off?

Do you turn the switch to off when not using the boat? Does anything other than the bilge pump work when turned off?

I do, however the switch was on for 3 hours I'd say while we were on the anchor running just the sonar. Could that short of a period drain 2 batteries tho?

Checked all my connections, corrosion everywhere so cleaned them all and poof she fired right up. Hopefully this was the only issue. Thanks for all the input everyone!
Verados like clean power and clean connections. Small drops in voltage set off alarms I clean all connections and wash powerhead a couple times a year and have never had an issue.

The voltage of starting batteries come up much quicker which will boil the deep cycle. Mixing natures doesn't work well. That is why there should be a starting circuit and a 12v to 12v charger for the house batteries.

The voltage of starting batteries come up much quicker which will boil the deep cycle. Mixing natures doesn't work well. That is why there should be a starting circuit and a 12v to 12v charger for the house batteries.
Never had an issues with mixing batteries on my verado . 4 years of one deep cycle and one starting no issues Even mixed gel and wet cell. Maybe I just got lucky

Took it out for a solid 4 hours yesterday voltage was sitting right around 14 so seemingly no problems there, however, DTS alarm is still coming on.. Both batteries are full 12.8 on Volt meter after running so Batts seem to be holding up fine too. Just this DTS alarm

Yes I have the digital gauge and the DTS alarm comes on and that's it. I can scroll to other reading then within a few minutes it's flashing DTS again. Cleaned the connections recently may have to try again. What aside form gubby connections typically sends that alarm?

I have had alarms come and go but generally they were from poor connections. Check the plug on your shifter remote and main plug on engine. Voltage on these machines is critical. I have damaged an ecm on an optimax from a failed battery switch, ran fine but received an injector fail code constantly If you are on the island RPM in port are the go to guys for repairs I hate saying that lol as I had issues with a purchase but they are experienced on verado engines.

Back