Video Recording-Fraser River Native Fishery 2020

Good questions, ZF. Every watershed is different wrt it's management regime and 3rd party (Tier III) consultation processes. Some watersheds don't have any. Arguably, the Fraser is the most complex and difficult wrt weak stocks and management.

Basically, as case law directs:

DFO is the lead federal agency on fishery matters. All federal reps have a fiduciary duty to consult & accommodate all FN on infringements in a Tier II bilateral negotiation. FSC is a needs-based number with conservation 1st. FSC can be sold (i.e. "moderate livelihood"); but DFO maintains that it shouldn't end-up in the legal commercial market (while often looking the other way on roadside sales). That may end-up in court sometime down the line.

Some watersheds have lower conservation benchmarks set and revised annually based on run-size projections. Some watersheds don't have projections, or even accurate escapements available for some species (esp. coho). So only some have species/stock apportioned up into a total TAC to be divided into sectors. Where TUS studies are available - they are reasonable wrt amounts of salmon needed, but acknowledge a growing population.

So... not really a clear-cut answer to all of those questions at this point.

One more very important 'wrinkle' to add to the conversation is that while it is simplistic to lump "FN fisheries" in the same fashion "Commerical fishing" and "Rec Fishing" are lumped, there are real and serious differences of opinon / access / economics within the "FN Fisheries" along the Fraser. They don't all agree. They don't all get access to the same fish. They don't all partake in some of the questionable practices mentioned on this thread. The also don't all benefit from the resource in terms of food and $$$. Just like in other fisheries there are a small number of people within the "FN Fisheries" that hold a disproportionate amount of the power, money, etc. It doesn't all trickle down to the needs of each and every FN member equally. Like the Rec and Commercial industries there are seroius complexities that I've barely scratched the surface of in my conversations with some FN members.

Good to hear all of the civil (for the most part) dialogue on this issue. It's not going away any time soon and a better understanding of all stakeholder perspectives is helpful.

Back