Video: A Birthday Herring Spawn in the Great Bear Rainforest...

Very cool, thanks for sharing! Did you try any of the roe on cedar? I've had roe on kelp but never on boughs like that, though know it's a popular FN harvest technique, curious what it's like. I find the kelp a bit strong tasting for my liking.

Cheers!

Ukee

Very cool, thanks for sharing! Did you try any of the roe on cedar? I've had roe on kelp but never on boughs like that, though know it's a popular FN harvest technique, curious what it's like. I find the kelp a bit strong tasting for my liking.

Cheers!

Ukee

Thanks guys,

I did try the roe on both hemlock (not cedar) and kelp and I personally liked the hemlock way better. It had a really nice pine flavor to the eggs even without having an actual needle in your mouth. The kelp is a bit too salty for my liking. I was pleasanty surprised in general at how good the roe tastes and you can tell that it is packing a huge nutrient punch.

Excellent video Andrew! What a great way to spend your birthday. I had no idea Herring spawned multiple times and never put much thought into that until seeing your video. Seems like a much more sustainable way of harvesting the roe.
Would love to take my daughter to be a part of that harvest. She loves being in the water and around nature and is very much into helping wildlife when she can. The video footage is great too, especially the underwater shots of the Herring spawning.
What is the song playing during the video? Very soothing music.

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for sharing a great video Andrew! I love that area.

They look to me like a bunch of 6-7" Tomic #700 plugs swimming around, but maybe I see things differently.

Thanks for sharing a great video Andrew! I love that area.

They look to me like a bunch of 6-7" Tomic #700 plugs swimming around, but maybe I see things differently.

Ha. Yeah, it's no wonder they work so good! Quite wild the difference from looking down on them versus the side....from the side they look like they are electric! I was using no light either; just a gopro on a pole.

Thanks for the excellent video---always great learn more about fishery we all enjoy. Well done!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey,

Here is a little video that I put together from a trip I made to Bella Bella in April for my birthday to see the herring spawn. It was an awesome experience and one I will never forget. Hope you enjoy.

Ap

[DWq3VRKKNpU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWq3VRKKNpU#t=276

Thanks for sharing that Andrew

Thanks Andrew, that was awesome to watch. Nice to see the herring dancing around down there. You're right they sure do look electric down there. Nice video

Cool video AP. Would have loved to been there with ya to witness this. Fingers crossed we get some more spawns locally like that one a few years ago.

Back