Victoria Reports - Spring and Summer 2012

We were out Saturday (I know late post) lol Decided to troll a bit by race rocks before going in and hit a 12lb Hatchery and a Columbian pushing 30 but it was wild :(

It had 6 inch baitfish in it...

Last edited by a moderator:
We were out Saturday (I know late post) lol Decided to troll a bit by race rocks before going in and hit a 12lb Hatchery and a Columbian pushing 30 but it was wild :(

Both fish had 6 inch baitfish in them...

You mean just the hatch had 6" baitfish in belly.......

Last edited by a moderator:
Over-indulging at the all you can eat sandlance spaghetti buffet. The recent OB and Constance fish were puking up sandlance too. Good thing those sandlance are abundant.

We went out in a friends boat on the bank this afternoon/evening. Shortly after dropping the gear I found out that one of my fishing partners has never actually landed a salmon. It was my first time fishing with him, but he has been out a few times with others and had salmon on but always lost em. I decided that if my rod hit, I would pass it off to him and see if I could coach him in a salmon. Well about 45 minutes in my rod hits, I bring in the slack and get the drag set on the lighter side and get him on the rod. When I handed him the rod, the fish was running, and he went to grab the spinning reel, but I made sure he kept his fingers off that reel until the fish finished. The fight was a little back and forth but I didn't want him to rush the fish in, but then I saw a seal about 100 ft off our stern. We swung the boat around and I had him get that fish close before the seal started honing in on our fish. We snuck the fish into the net a little premature but better than losing his chance at popping his salmon cherry. A nice 8lb hatchery and it was great to see his excitement.
The flood picked up and kept pushing us off the bank so it was tough to keep the gear down. After a few tacks, we headed home but first pulling our trap with 4 nice dungies. Nice night on the water.

OH, one more thing that we saw (almost ran over actually) was 2 guys in their 20's swimming from I'm guessing the beach by Odgen breakwater to the brotchie ledge light marker. Yeah, they were swimming out there. In wetsuits and they were on their way out to the light at 7:30. They were pretty hard to see with the little bit of chop, and being in hooded black wetsuits. When we spotted them, we were about 50 ft out. We stopped right away and thought that maybe they were in trouble. They said they were all good. I asked if they thought the commercial fishing boat that was motoring by on the inside of them could see them. They said they thought they were fine and kept waving us on. Really stupid idea to be swimming in this highly used traffic area. Especially with big boats all around. Just shake my head at that ****.

heard the whales had a seal buffet on the banks today? True? Bout time they figured out all that plump goodness there for the taking (or did we get a transient pod come through?) If so, hope they come here for holiday a little more often!

I've said it before. If DFO could put together a program to teach resident Orcas to eat seals, it would be money well spent and a win-win for everyone.

Flats were dead today, put in the morning shift from 7 to 10 without a sniff and didn't see a net out on any other boats. moved over to Clover and got a hit right away and landed a fat 12 factory. I talked to few guys who fished Constance with no action. Guess we are waiting for the next wave.

beemer

Picked up a nice 16 lb 11 oz hatch and released a small keeper on the flats this morning on glow green splatter back needlefish hoochie in 110 of water, bite seemed to be over for me at 830 am. Stayed out till noon. Beautiful day out there.

"Flats were dead today, put in the morning shift from 7 to 10 without a sniff and didn't see a net out on any other boats."

That about sums it up, we fished 9:00am till 12:30
not a sniff...
Boats thinned out around 11:00am , sure nice out there though.

Went out on the water with my preggers lady today and we had a great day. The first bit of fun was sneaking through the wall of sailboats to get out to the bank. Then shortly after dropping the gear we had a zinger hit on port side. After wrestling with the rod trying to get it out of the holder with no success, she went to grab the reel to stop the fish from peeling out line, I kinda yelled saying how bad of an idea that was, and then decided to maybe take over. After getting things under control after 2 decent runs, I was going to hand over the rod, but she wanted me to play it. Got it close to the boat, and was very excited to see no fin! In the boat it came. 13 lb hatch. Very nice looking fish too. Shortly after that we had some orca's cruise by. They were being followed by about 7 whale watching boats and what looked like an observer boat who sat back a ways and watched through binoc's. Great day out there today. Here's a few pics from the day.
DSC_0004.JPG

DSC_0042.JPG

DSC_0013.JPG

DSC_0067.JPG

Back